A soon to be ham

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bmorin7265

We full tine in a 44' motorhome and I hope to pass the rest and have my Technician ticket in the bear future.

In anticipation  I would like to start looking for the appropriate equipment.  I have two goals:  safety and entertainment.

Any suggestions on a reasonable set-up.  Thanks in advance for any help

Are you thinking of a hand held radio, mobile or other type of equipment.  I'm relatively new to HAM too.  I have a Kenwood TM-281 mobile and a Yaesu FT-60 Hand Held.  The Kenwood is 2 -meter only and the Yadesu is 2-meter and 70 cm.  I really like them both.  I did buy the software to program them as I found that much easier than trying to put the repeater info in using the radio.  Good Luck.

Hi
Congratulations on becoming a ham.  I passed the testing in November of last year.
I have a Yaesu FT 1200 with 100 watts output and a transworld antenna that looks like a folding dryer.  The antenna is good for RV Parks that do not like big antennas.  It stands about 8' high and is 8' long.  I have had contacts of over 4000 miles with this rig.  I have had no problems with this equipment.  With this antenna you must be able to see it so that someone does not try to  touch it while you are transmitting.
Welcome to HAM Radio.
Thomas Christian  WF3O

If you asked 10 hams that question you would get 12 answers, at least.

I started with a dual band ht.  Then a few dual band mobiles.  A TS-520, ICOM 746pro, and the latest a ICOM 706 MkII G in my truck that pulls the 5th wheel.

Once you decide on HT, VHF/UHF Mobile, HF, HF/VHF/UHF then take a look at the reviews on eham.

Joel/W4JNM

Congratulations on getting your license, now the fun starts.  First question I always ask new hams are:
Do you spend more time on the road or more time around the house?  If it is on the road I always suggest getting a mobile radio first, usually a simple 2 meter to start.  You also need a Repeater Directory to go with that and an antenna.  Don't by a cheap quarter wave antenna buy a good 5/8 wave.
If you going to be around home most, get yourself a good handheld.  I have a Yaesu FT-60 dual bander that does one band at a time on 2m or 70cm.  Sometimes, depending on repeater location, you are good for starters with the provided rubber duck antenna.  Later you can figure out what you need outside. 
Get tuned in to a local repeater and listen.  Once you think you have the feel for it, make a contact.  In most cases the local hams will help you get comfortable.
I run a Yaesu FT-857D in my work truck doing 2m and HF while running my area for work.  In the trailer I carry a Yaesu FT-897, a tuner and an Outbacker OB-8 and an Outpost antenna mount.  I have done some HF but going to mostly digital, PSK and the like.
There's my two cents and again, Congratulations.  Ed - K3CAV

Back
Top Bottom