My Workamper Experience in S California in 29 Palms - Great Winter!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wigpro

Sometimes you just have to brag when you hit a homerun!

The past two winters I have struggled to find a place that met all my needs and offered me the opportunity to have a site for free in exchange for some work...well I was very fortunate this past fall to find this resort through Workamper.com and I cannot be any happier. They were advertising for general help and I submitted an email, but not until after looking at their website on the internet which happened to be terrible, so lo and behold I had an IN!! I suggested that I offer my services in web design and help them get a new website up and running...my offer was accepted and I could have asked for a better opportunity.

The park is a decent park with good facilities, better than most and only 2 miles from Joshua Tree National Park, which for me as a photographer was a real plus. My deal was site with full hook-ups including electric and propane for 20 hours per week...which I have found to be pretty standard. So I arrived in November and have been here ever since, now getting ready to leave and figured I would pass along my experiences.

My job was exactly as promised. No tracking of my hours, but I did have constant contact with the off-premise owner via email and phone and frequent visits and as long as I was moving forward with the website and covering the activities on the blog, all was well. I worked on my laptop in my trailer and of course attended the functions and took pictures and documented the activities on a blog which was updated regularly. Sometimes several time a week, I probably averaged more than 20 hours a week, but it was fun and nobody was bugging me, which was all the better!

I have been full-timing now for 4 years and this by far was my BEST workamping experience, plus I have found a winter home! If you are looking for a snowbird spot to work, I can highly recommend coming here! There are a number of jobs available every year from office to maintenance to cleaning and heading up activities etc. They fill quick, but if you are looking make contact.

The primary thing that made this my best winter ever was the people and the activities. The winter regulars are by far the friendliest people I have ever encountered in an RV Park. Some of the people have been coming here for over 18 years, that says a bunch right there. There was always something going on and everyone pitched in.

When I first arrived as I was setting up at least 4 couples came by and introduced themselves and asked if I needed anything and of course invited me to participate in the most current upcoming activity. The Saturday Night dinners were an extra surprise - great home cooked dinners every Sat night for a minimal charge and live music and dancing following dinner. Every holiday was special, Thanksgiving, Christmas, St Patricks Day, a winter luau and on and on.....fitness classes, swimming, Texas holdem, bridge, bingo...you name it, we had it.

I have found my winter home and have been invited back next year and who knows I just may be one of those 18 year people down the road.....

The name of the resort is Twentynine Palms RV Resort and it is a great spot.

Not all workamping experiences are great, but I thought I would pass along one that was.

Jim

Wow, thanks for sharing.

After your  disappointment in Alaska this past  summer, you sure deserve a gig like this one!

I am happy for you Wiggy and I am really jealous. Joshua Tree is in my top ten of National Parks in the US, it is incredible. And most people don't even know about it.

Here is a photo I took on the way back from Joshua Tree to 29 Palms. See if you can figure out what is wrong with this photo. And no, it was not Photoshopped.

I also really love 29 Palms. There are really cool murals all over town. One of my favorites is below. You really believe there is a cow standing there until you are right next to it.

Attachments

• Speed limit.jpg
    Speed limit.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 66
  • Mural man.jpg
    Mural man.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 60
Glad you enjoyed your winter!!

You will probably want to stay at Lake Powell next winter. Some of those flooded canyons are beautiful beyond belief.

Thanks all - it was a fantastic winter and I am real glad for the opportunity....now on with my summer plans - deviating a little this year and NOT returning to Alaska - got a boat driver job at Lake Powell and will be in Bullfrog for the summer, yea I know huge difference in temperature from Alaska - I am prepared for some 110 degree plus days, but lots of bikinis and warm water will be a nice change as well!!

Plan to return back here to 29 Palms RV Resort next fall around November 1 just like last year....looking forward to seeing my new friends I made this winter again...

Jim

Back
Top Bottom