Why Not Rent Than Tow?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

camperAL

Hi All,

Curious, for the cost of a tow vehicle, tow gear and reduced mpg, why not rent at your camping locations? I know some of the answers would be convenience of having a car at any time and rental companies aren't going to always be near your campground. It would nice to be able to unhook and run for help if you break down (although there are good resources for that event without leaving your RV).

I'm wanting to tow but if rental companies would drop off a car for a few days use, the cost might justify the tow costs.

Also one could buy a cheap car at location if you stay awhile and sell before leaving.

Would be glad to hear the experts opinions on this and where I might go wrong. Best to all!

One Word - Hassle. You answered your own question! It reduces to simplicity, convenience, and 100% availability.

Ernie

Good luck getting Enterprise topick you up in a remote location... It's hard enough
when you are right down the road.

last month we rented a car in Florida(7 days) and then we had to fly to California unexpectedly (6 days)- it was 300.00 in Florida and 260.00 in California- I had all the discounts and rented the cheapest cars. I think I spent about 1200.00 for my used tow bar and new base plate installed. I think in the end it would be more expensive and a huge hassle to rent a car. that and what if DW needs some alone time LOL.
I really like to have my own car and my stuff in it too. JMHO

Speaking from the perspective of having done both. Way more convenient to tow. Car is right there, all the time. Initial set up is pricey, but search around for used. The only thing you really need to buy new is the baseplate to make sure you get an exact match to  your vehicle.

Forget about mpg. Makes no discernible difference.

The last time we rented, and what tipped the scales. Finding a place to park the motor home when we picked up the car and when we took it back. You have to drive to and from the rental site with the motor home. Ugh!

Just my 2?.

Stan

captsteve said:
Good luck getting Enterprise topick you up in a remote location... It's hard enough
when you are right down the road.

Have never had a problem with Enterprise picking me up or returning me to my RV. Plus the price of $25/day was a nice rate. My only problem was that I'm used to my '96 Jeep Cherokee toad - and was not used to the power and smoothness of a new car.

BTW, I asked the fellow that checked me out and into the rental what the number 17 was showing on the dash. He said, "It's the current mileage - that's the distance from the airport to Enterprise Sacramento.

That said, I quickly learned that as a full timer - I needed my Jeep with me all the time vs. only at a home base w/rentals on the road. I do business on the road and need to do local travel to support that business - and the highly probably delay's to getting a rental just wouldn't work for me.

Never happened to me - but as the OP has already mentioned, if I breakdown an have no other choice but to find help (was out of cell phone reception on 2 occasions), I want the Jeep always ready to go. Think about a medical emergency out of cell coverage. Pulling a fast plan B could save a life.

Was in Gila Bend, AZ one year and saw a MH w/toad pull onto the two lane coming out of a truck stop - and the drive shaft fell on the ground with his rig cutting across both lanes. While he scratched his head, his wife got out, instructed him to get in the toad while she got behind the MH steering wheel. He then started the toad and pushed the MH off to the shoulder on the opposite side of the road.

Or, if you have a medical emergency, you really need to have your own car.  We were so glad we had one when I broke my elbow which required several surgeries and much physical therapy.  We stayed where it happened because there was good medical care and it was SO much easier to have our own car, from the time Jerry took me to the emergency room and through all the other "stuff" over a three-month period.

ArdraF

We use our toad to go somewhere almost every day. For example in March we attended 14 baseball games, 3 hockey games, and went to visit, shop or to dinner innumerable times. Rough math tells me that's $750 + taxes etc. in rental car.

We're in the 7th month of this trip and have almost 5,500 driving miles on the toad (towing miles not included). It gets used a lot for just local travel. So for the same convenience as having a toad, I'd be nearing $5,000 of rental expense for this trip alone. This is our 4th year of wintertiming so our toad, brake hookup, towbar which cost less than $10,000 (used car) has a "rental car" value of $20,000?

I wouldn't be without it, but then everyone travels a little different and maybe it works for others.

Ken

We just spent two months in Florida. If we had rented a car at the previously mentioned $25/day, a rental car would have cost about $1500 just for this one trip! The entire tow setup on our RAV only cost about $2200, putting us well ahead of the rental costs, since we certainly take more than just this one trip. Just our time in Florida each winter alone puts us well ahead.

We made one trip with a MH without a towed and never again.  We were able to get a car in most places but not all and that caused some problems  getting around as there was no taxi service, can you say small town/village.

Recently I needed some work done on the new towed.  I called to rent a car at the usual low price places, none to be had as there was a high school division basketball tournament and a big to do at the university.  I was able to get one at Hertz for just over $100 a day.  Traveling you can run into these type of busy times and thus no care will be available, think fishing tournaments etc.

Other points have been raised that are also good so our decision was to NEVER go without the towed.  We have made an exception a  couple of times but they were local and, others had cars and we were able to call on our cell phone either a neighbor or 911 and still have our local Dr respond.

A little insight on car rental from an insider....and why relying on rental cars when RVing is a bad idea.....

I've managed a car rental company for close to 20 years now.  Spring break, holidays, convention in town, Sun Bowl, etc....if you didn't book it a month out, you won't be getting a car.  We are often overbooked during peak periods and rely on no-shows to balance things out.  On the off chance that we have enough cancellations or no shows to take a walk up or two, figure on $150 + a day for a compact.  Yelling and screaming at the person behind the counter won't change that....though a lot of folks seem to think it will.  Sure, you may have got it for $18.99 a day last weekend when I had 350 cars sitting on the lot....but when the lot is empty, my competitors are sold out, and I have 3 cars I can take walkups on, it costs whatever we say it costs.... take it or leave it.  If you don't want it, the next guy will.  It's called capitalism.

Tuesdays and Wednesdays, we're usually out of cars too.  If you travel by air on those days, book your car well in advance.  We're usually locking things down the weekend prior.  It's simple supply and demand.....and lack of planning on your part doesn't constitute an emergency on our part.  And don't try the "book it a month from now and blame the mistake on us and demand a car" routine....you aren't the first to try it, nor the last....and you still won't be getting a car.  Don't try the "book it in another city and blame the car rental company" either. We know all the tricks...hell, we invented half of them, and we won't be amused.

Car rental companies operate much like the airlines do.....and when the plane is full, it's full.  Showing up at the last minute and expecting a seat may happen and it may not happen.  And when cars are scarce, expect to pay through the nose. 

All this said, it behooves and RVer to bring their own ride.

Great explanation.  It explains what I have experienced over the years when I was working and we had last minute trips.  We had a fortune 500 company making the reservations.  We usually got something but often it was not what we were expecting.

Hi,

Thank you for all the replies! Looks like it is unanamous that towing is the best route for a number of good reasons. I'll plan on towing. I enjoyed the input.

Jim Godward said:
Great explanation.  It explains what I have experienced over the years when I was working and we had last minute trips.  We had a fortune 500 company making the reservations.  We usually got something but often it was not what we were expecting.

Yep....Mon-Wed are extremely tight at locations that cater to business customers.  Thu-Mon are busy for those that service the leisure market.  There are many weeks where I drive a body damaged or out of service car home because I had to hand mine over to meet a reservation. 

The public always asks "Why don't you just get more cars?".  The simple answer is because we would have too many sitting during slump times of the week.  Every car rental company has highly paid actuaries that work the fleet size and mix for optimization (highest level of profitability).

Being both an RV guy and a car rental manager, I can think of 100 ways depending on a rental car when travelling could be troublesome.  You'd practically have to write your itinerary ahead of time down to the day to ensure you get your car.  Any hiccup in your schedule could result in you not getting the car when you arrive at your destination.  Much easier just to tow your own ride behind you.  :)

Another consideration you must have insurance.. now, in many states (including both Michigan and South Carolina where I spend MOST of my time) If you have an existing automobile and it has an existing insurance policy same coverage is extended to your rental or to a new purchase for a period of days (Not sure how long and it does not matter anyway)

Turns out Nationwide does not consider a motor home to be an Automobile and thus will NOT so extend..

That means if I rent I have to buy insurance too.. So for the Memorial Day Weekend.. Over 300 dollars for just a few days.

My towed cost 2,000 + 2000 more to make it towable.. 13 weekends, That's 3 months. and it paid for itself.

In Texas, the liability portion of your personal auto policy extends to a rental car.  The collision / comprehensive portion may or may not, depending on the policy.  Get it in writing from your insurance agent before you decline Loss Damage Waiver on a rental car.  Paying for a car you'll never get to drive again sucks.

Some credit cards extend coverage for the vehicle, some don't.  Again....GET IT IN WRITING.  Some insurance companies and credit cards specifically exclude "specialty vehicles"...which could be as mundane as a minivan or SUV.  Don't ask the rental agent if your card or insurance company covers it.....they don't work for them, and have no idea.  If you're renting for 3 or 4 days, a lot of times the cost of Loss Damage Waiver is cheaper than your deductible. 

Yes, I have seen customers who thought they were covered wind up having to buy a damaged or stolen rental car.  Bottom line is this....if you damage or lose one of my cars, my company will send you a bill for it.  How you pay that is up to you.  We don't care if your credit card or personal insurance pays for it....that's between you and them.  We send YOU a bill for the damage or missing car.....up to full retail value, and if it's damaged, we bill you for down time as well while it's being repaired.  You'd be amazed how many people don't know that one.  And yes, it's in the contract you signed....and may not have bothered to read.

From an old hand at this....do one of two things:

1.  Do your research thoroughly, get everything in writing, and understand what is covered and what is not before you decline coverages at the rental counter.
2.  Accept Loss Damage Waiver and Additional Liability Insurance when you rent a car.

If you accept LDW, so long as the contract wasn't violated, you fill out a simple 1 page report, hand us the keys, and say adios.  If you accept our liability insurance, you're covered up to $2 million of third party coverage if you goof up. It's also primary.  Try and get that level of coverage from State Farm or Allstate. 

No, I'm not playing salesman here....just want you to be aware of the realities involved when renting a motor vehicle. 

My favorite part of renting cars is that you can drive 'em like you stole 'em. Buy the insurance and have a great time. Is that parking space a little narrow, no problem door dings don't matter. The echo of squealing tires in parking garages has a great echo. You aren't paying for the tires so enjoy your ride. If you've never "got air" before, now's your chance.

Since the insurance is often more expensive than the rental itself, you need to get your moneys worth.

There may or may not be some tongue in cheek humor in this post.

Ken

bucks2 said:
My favorite part of renting cars is that you can drive 'em like you stole 'em. Buy the insurance and have a great time. Is that parking space a little narrow, no problem door dings don't matter. The echo of squealing tires in parking garages has a great echo. You aren't paying for the tires so enjoy your ride. If you've never "got air" before, now's your chance.

Since the insurance is often more expensive than the rental itself, you need to get your moneys worth.

There may or may not be some tongue in cheek humor in this post.

Ken

Ken....how do you think WE drive them on the lot?  ;D

BTW....speed bumps become a non issue when you have a company car....especially when you trade it out every few days.  You should see how many rear tires we've had to replace on the SS Camaros (funny....the front never seem to be worn....)  LOL

Our first year work camping was a surprise, we had expected to head back to FL, but went from AZ to Yellowstone, we only had our motorcycle with us, so we rented from a rent a wreck type place.  They rented older cars, and got one fr 5 months.  With everything, it cost us $1800.  Next season we sold the motorcycle and had our car rigged for towing. 

Back
Top Bottom