2012 Starcraft Centennial / No turn signals or brake lights...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jdheatmag

Hello everyone,

I just found this forum today after several days of searching for a solution to my problem with no luck.  I'm not mechanically ignorant, but I'm no expert for sure.  I've spoken to Camping World service techs twice and of course they will give no guidance over the phone.  I really would like to avoid a service charge for something super simple.  So here I am...

The short of my issue is that I have all drive lights, but no turn signals or brake lights.  Which rendered my camper immobile.  I had to leave the camper at home and head to work (Out of town) this morning.  So I can't do anything further on the camper until this weekend.  I did the following to trouble shoot...

1.  Checked the plug from the camper to truck to make sure it was seated fully and clean. 
2.  Checked the fuses in the truck to make sure they weren't blown.  They were not, BUT I did find that I have no fuse in the trailer battery charge slot of the fuse panel.  Which explains why the battery was dead when I checked it over 2 weeks ago.  Didn't check the lights at this point.  Yep, bad move.
3.  Checked the fuse panel in the camper.  None of these control the lights, but I checked anyway.  All good. 
4.  I did not have a voltmeter or tester available to check all of the pins in the plug.  So that is a possible issue.
5.  I DID find today that these 12v trailer systems need to have full power in order to operate a lot of the electrical devices.

Is this enough information to make an accurate assessment of my issue?  Is my dead battery the cause of my inop lights?  I'm thinking it's something relatively simple considering no turn signals or brake lights are working.  Maybe a ground or a loose connection?  Any assistance or feedback is greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

jdheatmag said:
Hello everyone,

I just found this forum today after several days of searching for a solution to my problem with no luck.  I'm not mechanically ignorant, but I'm no expert for sure.  I've spoken to Camping World service techs twice and of course they will give no guidance over the phone.  I really would like to avoid a service charge for something super simple.  So here I am...

The short of my issue is that I have all drive lights, but no turn signals or brake lights.  Which rendered my camper immobile.  I had to leave the camper at home and head to work (Out of town) this morning.  So I can't do anything further on the camper until this weekend.  I did the following to trouble shoot...

1.  Checked the plug from the camper to truck to make sure it was seated fully and clean. 
2.  Checked the fuses in the truck to make sure they weren't blown.  They were not, BUT I did find that I have no fuse in the trailer battery charge slot of the fuse panel.  Which explains why the battery was dead when I checked it over 2 weeks ago.  Didn't check the lights at this point.  Yep, bad move.
3.  Checked the fuse panel in the camper.  None of these control the lights, but I checked anyway.  All good. 
4.  I did not have a voltmeter or tester available to check all of the pins in the plug.  So that is a possible issue.
5.  I DID find today that these 12v trailer systems need to have full power in order to operate a lot of the electrical devices.

Is this enough information to make an accurate assessment of my issue?  Is my dead battery the cause of my inop lights?  I'm thinking it's something relatively simple considering no turn signals or brake lights are working.  Maybe a ground or a loose connection?  Any assistance or feedback is greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

1.  Welcome to RV Forum.

2. Your problem is quite likely  a simple fix.  Hardest thing may be finding that simple problem.

I would check the pins at the back of the truck first.  That narrows your search to either the truck or the trailer.  Check your ground as well!  A weak ground can cause all sorts of problems when it comes to lighting.

The turn signal and brake lights are the same element in the bulb and are brighter thus requiring a better ground.

Next visually check the wires to the fixtures.  If all that is good.  Check the fixtures and bulbs.

This part of the forum is less used.  So if you don't find it and want more info try posting in the geneal discussion section as this type of problem is universal to all RV trailers.

As BigD  said, I would first check the truck receptacle for water entering through the back and corroding the pins and wiring inside the receptacle. This is a known problem and many times is the culprit.  Let us know what you did once it's fixed. Thanks.

You need to know if proper voltage and grounding at the plug of the towing vehicle is good to go.  If so, when hooked up to RV, the tracing begins from that point to the rear of the RV.

#4 on your checklist holds your answer.  Having a VOM handy may have found your problem.

As to the charging of the trailer battery, this may be dependant on the type of plugs you are using. Charging while underway will require more than the common 4 pin flat plug as the charge wire is a separate lead. It may also be the reason the fuse was missing in the first place.

These diagrams may be of some help: http://www.etrailer.com/faq-wiring.aspx

Back
Top Bottom