Intel WiDi

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AlGreg

Great Sacandaga Lake, NY.....San Benito, TX
I bought a Lenovo Twist in January 2013.  It had a demo that showed how to use Windows 8 and some of the features of the computer.  One feature was WiDi (wireless display).  WiDi will wirelessly make your TV a second display along with the sound from your computer.  You need to get a wireless adapter for your TV or a TV with the wireless adapter built in.  Best Buy sells a TV adapter called Push2TV for $59.99.  I bought the adapter about a week later.  I could not get it to work and spent about 4 hours on the phone with Netgear support.  They said I had a bad unit and should return it and get another one.  I returned it and the new one acted the same exact way so I returned that one and gave up.  A year later I noticed that my Lenovo got a Intel WiDi update so I headed back to Best Buy to give it another try.  This time it worked perfectly right out of the box.  The adapter hooks to the TV with a HDMI cable.  It is 1080P resolution.  Close the lid on your laptop and set it anywhere in the room and use a wireless mouse on the arm of your easy chair and you can show slide shows, videos from your computer, Netflix, YouTube or anything you can watch and hear with your laptop.  You get the same audio and video quality that you get from cable or satellite. If you have a Windows 7 or 8 laptop with a I3, I5 or I7 processor and Intel graphics, you may have WiDi.

John, Google Chromecast looks like a great solution for media streaming but is not the same as WiDi.  WiDi is essentially a wireless HDMI cable, where the transmitter is built into the computer, and the receiver is either built into the TV or added on to the TV with an adapter.  No network is necessary.  I have used it for teaching file management to some non computer savvy friends.  Everyone can look at the big screen and pass the wireless mouse/keyboard combo around to operate the computer.  I can use it in my RV where I don't have a network.

Back
Top Bottom