Microwave Oven Replacement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

johntk

2007 Sightseer 29R

I want to replace my Sylvania microwave oven (the key pad does not work). 

Before I start tearing things apart I'd like any advice/insight/suggestions about what will be required.  The front vent plates appear simple to remove, but I'm not sure what else is holding the oven in place. 

Also, will any microwave work as long as it fits the hole?  I have not seen any vibrations specs on any ovens I've looked at.

Thanks,
John

Edit by staff: change message icon to Topic Solved

Typically if you look in the cabinet above the microwave you should see two screws.  Take them out and the microwave will tilt foreword and lift off the rear support bar.  other than a bit heavy they are really simple to remove and install.  Be sure to unplug it and push the power cord down through the hole first.  Really is a two person job because of the awkward position it is in.

Thanks Donn.

I removed the screws (2 on top vent plate and 2 on bottom vent plate) and removed the oven.  The cabinet base for the oven is just 2 3" wide rails.  Only the 4 screws which run thru the vent plates into the cabinet face hold the oven in place.  These vent plates are screwed into the top & bottom of the oven case.

Do I need to find an oven that has similar vent plates, or is it normal to drill holes in the oven case so the plates can be attached?

Thanks,
John

A good place to start is to try to find the Sylvania install instructions for over the counter mounting.  Winnebago probably used a combination of a standard over the counter install with added support/bracing.  Remove any wooden trim you see around the oven and have a look.

I wouldn't shop for a replacement until you remove the old unit, then you can look for a reasonably compatible model.  Our Advantium microwave/oven quit last summer and fortunately the newest model still used the exact same mounting schema so I got lucky.

Got 'er done.  Found a Frigidaire oven almost the same size as the original.  Drilled holes in the oven cabinet to attach the vent plates and a couple new holes in the wood cabinet. 

I'm surprised these ovens are not held-in tighter.  This motorhome really vibrates hard on some of the roads we travel.  There is nothing holding the oven into the wood cabinet except the vent plates.  Seems to me like there should be something holding the rear of the oven in place.  Whatever works I guess!

Thanks for the input,
John

johntk said:
I'm surprised these ovens are not held-in tighter.  This motorhome really vibrates hard on some of the roads we travel.  There is nothing holding the oven into the wood cabinet except the vent plates.  Seems to me like there should be something holding the rear of the oven in place. 

John,

The Sharp in our MH and the GE in the sticks and brick both have back plates that attach to the wall as well and bolts that go into the cabinets.  Not sure why yours does not do the same.  I would check with an appliance repair shop.

My Montana 5er is the same as John's.  Four screws holds the unit in the cabinet.  No rails or anything else.  Remove the four screws from the front and the unit slides out.

Was the original a Sylvania SR-11092B RV microwave?  I have one that is shot and have been looking for one that will fit but have had no luck.  What model number did you get in the Frigidaire?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skibumbob
Back
Top Bottom