Leak?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nope, probably needs to be caulked up on the roof. Use self leveling caulk, don't use silicone.

Bill

is it the one above the shower? we had that problem with our springdale tow behind we took the inner piece off and put silicon caulk around the outside where it meets the roof and then put the self leveling epdm stuff around the outer part on the roof. ours had those hateful square head screws on the inside. replaced them with normal Phillips if you do that make sure they are the same length learned the hard way do not pierce that rubber membrane. In our current fiver we have a skylight in the living room on the slanted part so had to use the non self leveling, it still leaks a little in real heavy rain like we had last night. I haven't figured out how to take this one apart.

millartist said:
ours had those hateful square head screws on the inside. replaced them with normal Phillips if you do that make sure they are the same length learned the hard way do not pierce that rubber membrane.

those square head screws are called Robertson Screws and as someone who uses screws everyday they are the best screw that is readily available on the market. They will stay an the screw driver when starting them and less pron to striping.

Guess what? It's raining and it leaks.... caulk on it is yellow and spongy. Dicor on everything else though. You would think this stuff would last longer than 4 years.

Your roof and seals should be check and maintenance at least every two years. The roof should be cleaned and conditioned if it is a rubber roof and the caulking removed and replaced. 4 years is asking for issues which you are seeing. The rubber and caulk breaks down from the sun beating on it. You can have it done by a dealer but the cost runs around $250 to $300 so I do my own. It only cost about $50 for the supplies.

There shouldn't be any moisture trapped between the walls or skylights that is a for sure a leak into the RV. I would have all the roof sealant serviced and dealt with soon because moisture will do some serious damage to the wall in a short order.

A lot of dicor later and my roof has been sealed. only thing I didn't do was the fridge vent. I need to dig the caulk from the screws holding it on and check it out. Since that caulk is mainly covered do I still need to check it yearly? I can not really see it unless i remove the cover.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom