Tow vehicles that don't require lube pump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Campfire RV

What vehicles can be towed all wheels down without installing a lube pump kit besides Jeeps? I'm thinking about looking for a vehicle to be towed behind the MH that doesn't require a lube pump installed.

Just look and find one that you like and check the Remco site. There is a toad guide that lists some, maybe someone will post a link for you. But you can check the Remco site and kinda plug away...

I found a few makes such as Acura, Honda, Jeep and Saturn can all be towed without a lube pump installed. I found it kind of funny on the Remco website when I typed in a Honda Accord under notes:

"Towable as is with speed and/or distance restrictions. Please see Owner's Manual for confirmation and procedures." Then a couple lines down it says:

"Officially from both Honda and REMCO the vehicle is not towable. However, we at Remco have a large number of customers who are flat-towing that vehicle behind their Motor Home and they are not having any issues. Follow the "Emergency Towing" procedures in the owner's manual to a "T" except ignore the restrictions and follow those procedures each and every time you tow. NOTE: If you choose tow your Honda, and have any damage to the Transmission as a result, you will have to pay for that expense out of pocket. It is nothing that Honda or Remco will warranty."

One part says its towable as is and another says it isn't towable. ???

I know for sure that a 2011 GMC Terrain is okay to flat tow, it states in the owner's manual the procedure to do it.  The Chevy Equinox is the same car and it also is flat towable without a pump.

Most manaul transmissions can be towed without a pump.  If you prefer an automatic, Cobalts and HHRs are towable with out a pump.  Some Saturns, Malibu, Malibu Maxxs are towable with automatics.  JM2?...

2012 to 2014 Ford Focus automatic is towable 4 down earlier years may be but I am not sure . A person can usually check out the manuals for the cars online to see how they can be towed . With the focus the negative battery terminal has to be disconnected before towing .

Bill

To name a few...
GMC Acadia & Terrain & Yukon, Chevy Equinox & Traverse & HHR & Malibu & Tahoe, Buick Enclave & LaCrosse, Honda CRV & Fit, Cadillac SRX, Ford Edge & Escape & Explorer & Fusion and Taurus, Jeep Grand Cherokee & Liberty & Commander and Wrangler, Mazda Tribute, Dodge Dakota & Ram, Chevy Silverado & Colorado, GMC Sierra & Canyon

But this is a high level view - some of these are towable only in certain configurations, e.g. Four Wheel drive or certain engine/transmission combinations. Once you identify a vehicle you like, get more details to make sure the one you are looking at meets requirements. Normally the owner manual will have the information.

Check Motorhome Mag Toad/dingy guides.  http://www.motorhomemagazine.com/

Every year they put out a guide of cars and trucks that can become toads without having to do modifications.  2014 guide was with April issue.
We like how easy it is to tow our 2013 Honda CR-V and it is comfortable.  They are towable in FWD or AWD and come standard with automatic transmission.  Dick nvrver

Be careful very very careful.......

Ford had a better idea, and when they changed the transmission they forgot to change the page in the manual that they could not be towed wheels down without modifications.

I don't see the Chevy Captiva on the list.  The Chevy Captiva is a copy of the Saturn Vue.  Chevy had Saturn Vue parts left over and decided to continue building the car.  The Captiva is only sold as a fleet vehicle but used Captivas are now on the market.

Safe travels.

JD

There has been some very dangerous advice provided so far in this thread.  Some of the information given is downright wrong or has been so generalized as to be very misleading.  I urge the OP to do as Gary Roamer suggests and use one of the dinghy guides or the Remco website to verify that any particular vehicle is towable in any specific configuration.  Do not rely on the posts in this thread without further research.

Ford and GM jointly developed a new transmission and one of the design criteria was that it be towable without requiring an aux pump. The resulting 6 speed auto, which first appeared in the 2007 GMC Acadia, Saturn Outlook and Ford Edge, met all requirements. Then in subsequent years and models the derivative trannys were "refined" (I suspect that mostly means cost-reduced) and the towability attribute got lost in several of them. I say "lost" because even Ford and GM were unaware of it until transmissions started failing in vehicles that claimed to be towable (per their owner manual). The Chevy Cruise 4 cylinder and some Ford Escape variants were a few of the affected models. Rather than retrofitting the design, both manufacturers put towing restrictions on several models. Hopefully they will correct that in the next iteration on those transmissions, but that may be years down the road. Meanwhile, be very cautious and never assume that all years and variants of a given vehicle are towable. Always verify.

I'm not sure why anyone would limit their toad choices by ruling out the reliable Remco pump. Even Ford uses the Remco pump as a fix for their "towable" transmission fiasco.

The advantage of a dolly becomes readily apparent in topics like this. I can tow absolutely any FWD car made, as long as it fits my dolly. Much easier to find track width and curb weight on the interwebs..

Bill

I'm still youngish, my hobby has been messing with infernal confusticating engines all my adult life. I can still get down and boogie with wrenches, and get back up again....slower than my glory days. I guess that would have to play into it.

Bill

driftless shifter said:
I'm still youngish, my hobby has been messing with infernal confusticating engines all my adult life. I can still get down and boogie with wrenches, and get back up again....slower than my glory days. I guess that would have to play into it.

Bill
At 71, I can and do still "get down and boogie with wrenches, and get back up again" too, but the point is that with a 4-down toad, I don't need to. I also don't need to unload the toad and wrestle a dolly around at a campsite or when I need to back the coach out of a tight spot. Two pins and a few cables and I'm all set.

Tin man said:
Be careful very very careful.......

Ford had a better idea, and when they changed the transmission they forgot to change the page in the manual that they could not be towed wheels down without modifications.
Tin Man .
I am curious about what Ford vehicles you are referring to . I am hoping it is not the 2014 Ford Focus Titanium as I have 1 on order and have already purchased everything to hook it up to the motorhome .
It is listed as towable 4 down by putting it in neutral and then disconnecting the negative battery cable. Then can be towed up to 70 mph for a unlimited distance .
I do see in other forums that a number of people are towing the 2014 focus 4 down for thousands of miles so I would assume that these are not the Fords you are referring to .

Bill

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom