Cleaning RV Toilet Bowl?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

winstons mom

How do I clean my toilet in my TT?  Can I clean it the same way I clean the one in my house with the same cleaners?

That depends on what material your toilet is made of. If it is porcelain then you can clean with the same cleaners as home. If it is plastic, and it probably is, then do not use abrasive or harsh chemical cleaners. We use soft scrub on the plastic toilet, sink, and shower stall  in our motorhome. Since space is often at a premium try to use a few basic cleaners instead of a whole bunch which you will have to find space for. We use the SS for countertops, plastic dinette table, and even the stove top and fridge.

Woody

Have a look at the bottom of the toilet bowl to determine the style of flushing mechanism you have.  In most cases there is a sliding device that opens when the lever is activated in order to empty the bowl

That sliding device fits into some kind of seal when it is closed and that seal maust be maintained with an occasional spray of silicone or holding tank valve lubricant.

Abrasive cleaners can damage the integrity of that seal, so these should not be used.

We have found that a 1/3 Cup of liquid laundry detergent poured into the toilet bowl, then with more water added to the bowl we can wash,the bowl, remove stains and disinfect the bowl using a product we already carry on board.

The detergent also helps to break down solid waste in the black tank, so in my view, laundry detergent is an effective toilet bowl cleaner.

Coating the inside of the plastic type of bowl with Protect-All  (or similar "wax" product) makes clean-up easier

Gary,

That's an interesting idea, but my concern about the product you mentioned is that when I used to use it for external applications on vehicles, I found it to be water soluble and it did not seem to last long.  Used in a place where water constantly flows may have limited effect.

However if a longer lasting wax type product could be identified it's a method that may have merit.

What about those polymer based polishes that are supposed to last for xx car washes?

Before replacing my plastic toilet with a procelain one, I tried two different industrial Teflon liquids; a mold release agent, and a surface lubricant. The results were less than hoped for, so I abandoned the idea of marketing them to RV'ers. Sealand, and I believe Thetford both recommend using a liquid furniture polish occasionally, and Sealand has come out with a new seal kit with a silicone gasket instead of rubber. It solved the problem of the bowl not retaining water. Seems the older rubber seal would deform slightly with age and use and allow water to leak past the ball seal. Call Sealand Customer Service if you have this problem.

Thanks for your info.  I do a trial and error and see what works.  Didn't want to use anything harsh that might hurt the mechanics.  Here's and idea....I'll just step outside and use the corn field around back!! ;D

and it did not seem to last long.

Nothing lasts forever, Steve.  Any surface treatment that helps shed dirt makes cleaning easier. No matter what you use, it is going to have to be renewed regularly - running water  wears down even granite mountains over time.

running water? wears down even granite mountains over time

I'll be stopping those daily showers that have been causing my poor old body to erode all these years, in that case :-[ :'( ;)

Back
Top Bottom