Equalizer hitch problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes, the dealer wouldnt touch em because he said it causes problems if you loosen them even though Equilizer said that it was fine as long as they are between 45-65ftlbs. He said he would just wait til they got worn on their own and they'd loosen up. I'm impatient and prefer to not throw my back out unhooking the trailer so I got a socket and did it myself. Its on my shoulders if I mess something up.

Gary RV Roamer said:
"Bucking" usually indicates insufficient tongue weight. A travel trailer should have 10-12% of its actual weight on the tongue (hitch ball) so that it tracks well behind the tow vehicle and keeps a steady level condition. Until you get the trailer loaded as you will usually have it, it may be light in the nose. Also, if the fresh or waste water tanks are either well behind the axles or ahead of them, the amount of water onboard (or not) can have a fairly dramatic effect on balance.

How do you measure how much weight you have on the tongue at any given point?

I have one last suggestion. This was from the factory. The dealer said NO GREASE anywhere but when I sent the photos to the factory I was getting gaulding on the metal of the points on the hitch where the bars mount.  They said you should have a small amount of grease on them. You place none anywhere near the L brackets or you will reduce the sway protection. This helped with the bucking and the metal wear. I put a small amount on the top and bottom.

I use the Equalizer with no problems.  However, I put two 4x4 under the front jack, and have a powered one.  I have had some difficulties unlocking the ball.

Towed to Indianapolis and back about 300 miles and the trailer towed much much better this time. Ive found that just loosening and tightening those nuts on the sockets made it much more manageable to get on and off. Also partially filled the fresh tank before leaving and that seemed to help with both sway and bouncing. Thanks for your help and suggestions everyone!

Glad you had a good tow this weekend. I have used an Equal-i-zer for 8 years now and love it.

Usand2boys said:
How do you measure how much weight you have on the tongue at any given point?

The best way is by using a truck scale such as CAT scales or even a scale at your local scrapyard or recycling center. Obviously you can't do this every time you travel so load it for a "typical" trip and scale it that way for a good estimate. I think there are instructions in the Library for obtaining the various weights for both truck and trailer.

We also had a huge problem where the spring arms would not budge.  We called Progress Mfg. Inc. (who makes the Equalizer) 800-478-5578.  The guy in Support confirmed they leave the factory over torqued to 100 ft lbs.  The online manuals state the torque should be between 45 and 65 ft. lbs.  Now they changed it to 60 to 100 ft. lbs. and they leave the factory at the highest settings.  So, we will be torquing them at 60 ft.lbs and we will checking each time.

Go to the equalizer website and it has a video on how to properly install the setup. You can also call them directly and they will give you the exact heights and location for each piece based on the type of vehicle and TT you have.

Usand2boys said:
Im towing a 27' primetime avenger ati and i have a dealer installed equalizer hitch on my jeep cherokee.
What is the GVWR of your Avenger and also what is the Tow capacity of your Cherokee. Taking a quick look at the avenger it has a dry weight of 6652 lbs and a CCC of 2869 lbs for a total GVWR of 9521lbs. I can't find a Cherokee on line that is capable of carrying that much weigh let alone a 27' TT.

martin2340 said:
What is the GVWR of your Avenger and also what is the Tow capacity of your Cherokee. Taking a quick look at the avenger it has a dry weight of 6652 lbs and a CCC of 2869 lbs for a total GVWR of 9521lbs. I can't find a Cherokee on line that is capable of carrying that much weigh let alone a 27' TT.

You my not get a response. The OP last posted was 12/26/16

Back
Top Bottom