EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Dog outdoor containment while RV'ing?  (Read 9445 times)

gamecock69

• ---
Dog outdoor containment while RV'ing?
« on: April 07, 2014, 07:14:49 AM »
We have the small metal folding pin and it appears that it can be expanded.  Is there an alernative that allows more freedom around your site while containing them?

millartist

• ---
    • Millwood Southern Artists
Re: Dog outdoo containment while RV'ing?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2014, 07:46:13 AM »
lots of campground do not allow dogs to be unattended so you may be happy just letting your pooch sit on the patio with you while you are sitting outside. I have a light weight runner that I attach to my step and to ebony's harness that way she can walk around some when we sit outside.
1998 Alpinelite
2002 Dodge 2500
Fulltimer artists traveling through life
Elizabeth Larry and Ebony

Clay L

• ---
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2014, 11:06:09 AM »
I have seen a number of pens called "Xpens" used. They fold up and seem to work well.

See HERE
Clay (WA5NMR), Lee (Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats), Sali (toy poodle)
Settled down after full timing for eleven years and snowbirding for one year in a 2004 Winnebago 35N Sightseer, Workhorse W 20 Chassis. Honda toad

Rene T

• ---
  • Great being on the right side of the grass
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2014, 11:59:01 AM »
We have the small metal folding pin and it appears that it can be expanded.  Is there an alernative that allows more freedom around your site while containing them?

I went to Home Depot and purchased a device/anchor which allows me to tie the dogs run to. It similar to a large cork screw and you screw it into the ground. It is painted orange . Went installed, it is flush with the ground so there's nothing for the rope to catch on. I set it up so that the anchor is about 10' from the steps and I use a 12' pc of rope. This gives the dog quite a bit of area to move around.
Rene & Lucille & co-pilot Buddy
AKA  Pep N Mem
2011 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD 4X4
2011 Montana High Country 343RL
From the Granite State of NH
& Florida Snowbird in Lakeland FL

Gizmo

• ---
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2014, 03:34:48 PM »
lots of campground do not allow dogs to be unattended so you may be happy just letting your pooch sit on the patio with you while you are sitting outside. I have a light weight runner that I attach to my step and to ebony's harness that way she can walk around some when we sit outside.

This is typically true and while even with a pen the dog should not be left un-attended, there is still value in having a pen for your dog.  It allows for freedom of movement without the dog getting tangled up.  We are planning to do this as well.
Regards, Bruce, Lin An, Kenji & Suki
2017 Eagle Cap 1165 Truck Camper With Tork Lift Fast Gun Tie Downs & T.L. Wobble Stoppers
2015 Ram Big Horn 3500 CC Cummins TD Dually 3:73 Gears & AISIN Tranny
Gone But not forgotten:
2014 Northwoods Snow River 246RKS &
2013 Aliner Expedition

DavisK

• ---
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2014, 04:18:10 PM »
I have 2 of the folding pens. Sometimes I connect the 2 together to provide a larger area. Most CGs restrict leashes to 6', so a tie-out is out of the question. Besides, they always get tangled on something. I would never leave my dogs out alone. Even though they are both microchipped, I'm too afraid someone would steal them. The female is too friendly. She loves people and will roll over for belly rubs from anyone.
2013 Silverado 2500 HD LTZ CC 6.6L Duramax Diesel
2014 Sunset Trail SF270BH
Holly & Buster, mini Dachshunds

Foxysdad

• ---
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2014, 10:04:35 PM »
  We bought a metal folding fence (about 30 inches tall )  from Camping world, works well as a stand alone.
 we made it larger by using  rebar hammered into the ground to hold it up, One section of the 8 is used as a gate and we have clips to hold it closed.
Some people buy 2 of them and join them together to make more room.
We put the fence behind the steps so the dogs and us have easy access in and out.
Howard Kelly, Sherry Bryon, and our furry creature Foxy
Comox B.C. Canada
2005 Chevy 2500 Durmax
2011 Trail Blazer trailer
Always looking for SUNSHINE

Life is short, dance like no one is watching

Gizmo

• ---
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2014, 09:58:31 AM »
That is what we are looking to do, although for our big guy, we need to find 48" tall units.
2017 Eagle Cap 1165 Truck Camper With Tork Lift Fast Gun Tie Downs & T.L. Wobble Stoppers
Gone But not forgotten:
2013 Aliner Expedition

Wendy

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2014, 02:45:48 PM »
We hook Gordon to a rope that's tied to the step or wheel of the motorhome or to a picnic table tree. We adjust the length of the rope so that he can't get into ther campsites or into the street. He's perfectly happy.
Wendy, Mike, and Gordon
~We can't be lost because we don't care where we're going~
Here's where we are http://map.datastormusers.com/user2.cfm?user=2276
2015 Allegro Ooen Road
1973 Sunshine Yellow VW Bug

Foxysdad

• ---
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2014, 11:50:12 PM »
Gizmo
I have a friend with the same problem , he used stucco wire and rebar stakes... and a large hammer :-) Rolls it up when he moved. Makes  a gate by overlapping the wire by a few inches, uses clips to hold it shut. looks good too,
Comox B.C. Canada
2005 Chevy 2500 Durmax

Gizmo

• ---
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2014, 09:32:08 AM »
Gizmo
I have a friend with the same problem , he used stucco wire and rebar stakes... and a large hammer :-) Rolls it up when he moved. Makes  a gate by overlapping the wire by a few inches, uses clips to hold it shut. looks good too,

Wow what a great idea and probably less expensive, thanks for the tip.  I'll be visiting my local home improvement center.  I actually had planned to use rebar to secure the fencing in place, but had not considered alternatives such as you suggested.
Gone But not forgotten:
2013 Aliner Expedition

Wendy

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2014, 10:41:35 AM »
Keep in mind that there are a lot of parks that do not allow pens to be set up and some that allow pens don't want you pounding stakes in the ground.
Wendy, Mike, and Gordon
~We can't be lost because we don't care where we're going~
Here's where we are http://map.datastormusers.com/user2.cfm?user=2276
2015 Allegro Ooen Road
1973 Sunshine Yellow VW Bug

millartist

• ---
    • Millwood Southern Artists
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2014, 12:05:10 PM »
I know of a lot of campgrounds here in the south that the water lines are not buried deep so if you bust one you are financially responsible not to mention where we are now it is all rock, couldn't get a stake in the ground with a sledge hammer
1998 Alpinelite
2002 Dodge 2500
Fulltimer artists traveling through life
Elizabeth Larry and Ebony

Gizmo

• ---
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2014, 09:00:42 PM »
Oh crap back to square 1, I have seen it done at so many of the places we have stayed.
Gone But not forgotten:
2013 Aliner Expedition

Foxysdad

• ---
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2014, 11:34:59 PM »
I have never had a problem in 4 yrs of using stakes. Waterlines and electrical lines run in straight lines and are easily spotted  The rebar does not have to go very deep. the risk has to be less than driving on highways which we all do a lot of \
Just my 2 cents (Canadian)  worth   :)
Comox B.C. Canada
2005 Chevy 2500 Durmax

gamecock69

• ---
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2014, 09:27:31 AM »
Thanks all this is great info.  I have one of these http://www.amazon.com/Midwest-Black-E-Coat-Exercise-Pen/dp/B000H8YTJI/ref=sr_1_1/181-3336067-0784560?ie=UTF8&qid=1397226058&sr=8-1&keywords=xpens That I plan on expanding.  I have little dogs so they would not be left out anyway if we are not there.  I would like to set something up that essentiall covers the entire awning area?

Does anyone have pics of what they do especially regarding the rebar idea?

Thanks
Wade

Biken201

« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2014, 09:28:02 PM »
We use foldable 3' fences and build a yard to contain our 3 100+ lb. dogs.  Fortunately they respect the barrier and are not jumpers.  We had previously tried leads, but it was a disaster.  The fences are a pain to transport, but are effective.
2011 Ram 3500 DRW 6.7 Cummins
2014 Arctic Fox 31D
Husky Centerline
Yamaha 2400is
3 Akitas (RIP D-Dog)
2004 2500HD 6.0l gas
2012 Rockwood Roo 233S

Dan23

• ---
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2014, 06:55:14 AM »
I have a pair of 1/8" plastic coated cables about 15' long that I attach at a single point to tie my dogs outside, but only when I'm present to hold them within six feet of the end if they get rambunctious about another dog.  These cables are fairly friendly to ankles and furniture. The dogs quickly learned their range on the cables which includes going inside the RV all the way to the bedroom, couch or kitchen begging duty. Don't use this method if occasional (constant?) untangling is not something you want to do. I store them with my leveling blocks and put them out as soon at the rig is in its final position, usually attaching them to the rear of the awning. At some campsites I'll use the picnic table or a screw-in post. I've never had anyone complain to me regarding the six foot rule because I'm right there to keep them controlled.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 06:57:22 AM by Dan23 »
Slide-free 1998 Winnebago Brave 30'
2009 Kawasaki KLR toad on carrier
If needed, wife follows with 2010 Mazda 3 hatch or 1995 Miata

Wess34758

« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2014, 07:41:40 PM »
I use the green tomato garden stakes and No Dig 37-in x 33-in Powder-Coated Steel Fence Panel
(Item #: 305494 |  Model #: 838236). I got them at Lowes a few a week so it didn't hurt my wallet so much. I use zip ties to make set up fast and have never been asked to take them down. I have two big dogs and the male is very protective of the kids and his RV. The fence lets us all enjoy the area under the covered area.

R19kix

Dog outdoo containment while R
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2014, 04:48:21 PM »
not sure about an official group but if you fine one please let us know as Im also interested. I usually take my dog up the mountain twice a week so let me know if you want to join up and maybe we can start out own group. Its good for the dogs to be together too.

Houston Remodeler

• ---
    • Our website
Re: Dog outdoor containment while RV'ing?
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2014, 03:41:33 PM »
We use the same folding pre-made 8 section dog fencing with success - that was until one dog figured out an escape route by jumping on top of the crate, then over the fence.

No longer do we place the crate  inside the pen, but instead add the front of the crate as an extra section.
2015 Starcraft Launch 24RLS
2014 Ram 2500 4x4 SRW
Guarded by 2 Jack Russells
www.CabotAndRowe.com

Gizmo

• ---
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2014, 08:50:56 AM »
After my initial posts of looking into the folding pens and reading where some campgrounds do not allow digging or driving rods into the ground, we did stay at a campground recently that prohibited such actions.  So we have settled on a rope.  I summoned up some of my long lost sailing skills and spliced a large snap hook on one end of a rope and typically snap it to an eye bolt I installed on the rear of my TT. If the lay of the land render this location not suitable, we attach to a tree or picnic table.  On the other end, I spliced a typical dog leash snap hook to attach to Kenji's harness.  Works great, less expensive and a cinch to do.
Gone But not forgotten:
2013 Aliner Expedition

« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2016, 04:59:55 PM »
Not so much a reply as a question.  I have used X pens and love them.  However closing off the step area is difficult.  I was at a RV show and there was a woman there with a system to secure around the step.  Does anyone know about this?  And how to get in touch with her?

Sissypete

« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2016, 02:31:09 PM »
When I travel with my Shasta Compact and five little dogs, I stay at truck stops which usually allow overnight parking and I find a small area away from the trucks to park and put out my portable metal fencing, which folds up very small for transport, for them.   A ramp as well so they can go in and out of the trailer at will.   RV parks are overall dog unfriendly which is really sad.  Yes, my dogs bark but not so much when I am with them and I never leave them alone on the road, period.    Flying J and Pilot truck stops are the best.   Also some rest areas allow 8 hour parking which is enough time to get some shuteye and let my dogs out to do their thing.   I refuse to let anyone stop me from traveling because of my dogs.   If it is too hot and I don't have a/c in my trailer, I will stay at a hotel.   

Sissypete

« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2016, 02:37:25 PM »
Also, there are apps you can get that give you info on whether or not pets are allowed and how many.   Try Allstays Rest Stops Plus.   They also have apps for all the RV parks, truck stops etc. and are free or very low cost.  I think I paid $1.99 for the Allstays Rest Stops Plus.   

chindog

• ---
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2016, 05:31:57 PM »
Not so much a reply as a question.  I have used X pens and love them.  However closing off the step area is difficult.  I was at a RV show and there was a woman there with a system to secure around the step.  Does anyone know about this?  And how to get in touch with her?

The system we use is a piece of plastic lattice from the home improvement store.  I cut it to fit the step area, with slots for the step supports.  We clip excersize pens to each side. In the pic, I have them zip-tied, but I've since put spring clips on the zip ties to make it easy to hook up and take down.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 05:34:16 PM by chindog »
2014 Fleetwood Discovery 40G
2012 Honda CRV toad

Sissypete

« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2016, 06:00:39 PM »
Now THAT is a great idea to keep the dogs (esp my two 5 lb chihuahuas) from getting under the trailer and getting out.   Thank you!   

Jazz Trumpet

« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2016, 07:54:17 PM »
Use plastic coated wire chicken fencing. And the green metal stakes that go on the ground. Sold at Menards or any home improvement store.  But we have to be inside the fencing with our dogs. Really funny to look at. Because they want to be with her so bad
John and Marilyn
2016 Rpod 180
2001 Suburban

MiGal

• ---
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2016, 04:46:54 PM »
I haven't yet used it, as I'm so new my only camping experience was a 3 day "shakedown cruise" at a local campsite, but I'm planning to take along my wireless containment system. Living in Maine on 5 acres of wooded, and sloping granite ledge, a physical fence has never been an option for us. So my dogs have been trained to an underground (actually wired above ground) fence. I started with a wireless, then went to a physical, but I have the wireless yet. It can be set from 5 feet to 90 feet, so depending on the campground layout, that will keep my dog contained and on our campsite while we are outside enjoying the campfire.
I checked with a couple of campground owners, and they all said it's acceptable. And no, my dog does not break the barrier. Some dogs would (although it's a matter of training) and may not be for everyone. It won't work for little dogs (collar and receiver size), and should never be used on puppies under 6 months.
It may be an option for those with a larger dog, without a strong prey drive. I have a Lab, by the way.

john owens

• ---
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2016, 07:29:02 PM »
Wireless or not ALL campgrounds demand your pets be on leashes..unless penned up which may not be allowed either. Regardless you won't get away with non leashes dogs...at least in the south west where we camp.....
2011 Winnebago 37F Class A  2012 Unlimited JK 2001 HD roadking  1964 Manx 1641cc buggy 1985 22'Lazy Daze Class C 2007 Chaparrel 26' deck boat..Thats all folks!!

Hosted by Over The Network