Dog outdoor containment while RV'ing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gamecock69

We have the small metal folding pin and it appears that it can be expanded.  Is there an alernative that allows more freedom around your site while containing them?

lots of campground do not allow dogs to be unattended so you may be happy just letting your pooch sit on the patio with you while you are sitting outside. I have a light weight runner that I attach to my step and to ebony's harness that way she can walk around some when we sit outside.

gamecock69 said:
We have the small metal folding pin and it appears that it can be expanded.  Is there an alernative that allows more freedom around your site while containing them?

I went to Home Depot and purchased a device/anchor which allows me to tie the dogs run to. It similar to a large cork screw and you screw it into the ground. It is painted orange . Went installed, it is flush with the ground so there's nothing for the rope to catch on. I set it up so that the anchor is about 10' from the steps and I use a 12' pc of rope. This gives the dog quite a bit of area to move around.

millartist said:
lots of campground do not allow dogs to be unattended so you may be happy just letting your pooch sit on the patio with you while you are sitting outside. I have a light weight runner that I attach to my step and to ebony's harness that way she can walk around some when we sit outside.

This is typically true and while even with a pen the dog should not be left un-attended, there is still value in having a pen for your dog.  It allows for freedom of movement without the dog getting tangled up.  We are planning to do this as well.

I have 2 of the folding pens. Sometimes I connect the 2 together to provide a larger area. Most CGs restrict leashes to 6', so a tie-out is out of the question. Besides, they always get tangled on something. I would never leave my dogs out alone. Even though they are both microchipped, I'm too afraid someone would steal them. The female is too friendly. She loves people and will roll over for belly rubs from anyone.

We bought a metal folding fence (about 30 inches tall )  from Camping world, works well as a stand alone.
we made it larger by using  rebar hammered into the ground to hold it up, One section of the 8 is used as a gate and we have clips to hold it closed.
Some people buy 2 of them and join them together to make more room.
We put the fence behind the steps so the dogs and us have easy access in and out.

That is what we are looking to do, although for our big guy, we need to find 48" tall units.

We hook Gordon to a rope that's tied to the step or wheel of the motorhome or to a picnic table tree. We adjust the length of the rope so that he can't get into ther campsites or into the street. He's perfectly happy.

Gizmo
I have a friend with the same problem , he used stucco wire and rebar stakes... and a large hammer :) Rolls it up when he moved. Makes  a gate by overlapping the wire by a few inches, uses clips to hold it shut. looks good too,

Foxysdad said:
Gizmo
I have a friend with the same problem , he used stucco wire and rebar stakes... and a large hammer :) Rolls it up when he moved. Makes  a gate by overlapping the wire by a few inches, uses clips to hold it shut. looks good too,

Wow what a great idea and probably less expensive, thanks for the tip.  I'll be visiting my local home improvement center.  I actually had planned to use rebar to secure the fencing in place, but had not considered alternatives such as you suggested.

Keep in mind that there are a lot of parks that do not allow pens to be set up and some that allow pens don't want you pounding stakes in the ground.

I know of a lot of campgrounds here in the south that the water lines are not buried deep so if you bust one you are financially responsible not to mention where we are now it is all rock, couldn't get a stake in the ground with a sledge hammer

I have never had a problem in 4 yrs of using stakes. Waterlines and electrical lines run in straight lines and are easily spotted  The rebar does not have to go very deep. the risk has to be less than driving on highways which we all do a lot of \
Just my 2 cents (Canadian)  worth  :)

We use foldable 3' fences and build a yard to contain our 3 100+ lb. dogs.  Fortunately they respect the barrier and are not jumpers.  We had previously tried leads, but it was a disaster.  The fences are a pain to transport, but are effective.

I have a pair of 1/8" plastic coated cables about 15' long that I attach at a single point to tie my dogs outside, but only when I'm present to hold them within six feet of the end if they get rambunctious about another dog.  These cables are fairly friendly to ankles and furniture. The dogs quickly learned their range on the cables which includes going inside the RV all the way to the bedroom, couch or kitchen begging duty. Don't use this method if occasional (constant?) untangling is not something you want to do. I store them with my leveling blocks and put them out as soon at the rig is in its final position, usually attaching them to the rear of the awning. At some campsites I'll use the picnic table or a screw-in post. I've never had anyone complain to me regarding the six foot rule because I'm right there to keep them controlled.

I use the green tomato garden stakes and No Dig 37-in x 33-in Powder-Coated Steel Fence Panel
(Item #: 305494 |  Model #: 838236). I got them at Lowes a few a week so it didn't hurt my wallet so much. I use zip ties to make set up fast and have never been asked to take them down. I have two big dogs and the male is very protective of the kids and his RV. The fence lets us all enjoy the area under the covered area.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 61
not sure about an official group but if you fine one please let us know as Im also interested. I usually take my dog up the mountain twice a week so let me know if you want to join up and maybe we can start out own group. Its good for the dogs to be together too.

Back
Top Bottom