EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Dog outdoor containment while RV'ing?  (Read 9482 times)

kdbgoat

• ---
Re: Dog outdoor containment while RV'ing?
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2016, 12:11:34 PM »
I haven't yet used it, as I'm so new my only camping experience was a 3 day "shakedown cruise" at a local campsite, but I'm planning to take along my wireless containment system. Living in Maine on 5 acres of wooded, and sloping granite ledge, a physical fence has never been an option for us. So my dogs have been trained to an underground (actually wired above ground) fence. I started with a wireless, then went to a physical, but I have the wireless yet. It can be set from 5 feet to 90 feet, so depending on the campground layout, that will keep my dog contained and on our campsite while we are outside enjoying the campfire.
I checked with a couple of campground owners, and they all said it's acceptable. And no, my dog does not break the barrier. Some dogs would (although it's a matter of training) and may not be for everyone. It won't work for little dogs (collar and receiver size), and should never be used on puppies under 6 months.
It may be an option for those with a larger dog, without a strong prey drive. I have a Lab, by the way.

I ran across a couple that was using one of those systems last week. I kind of have mixed feelings about them though. It will generally contain your dog well, but what about the other dog that is loose and goes after your dog? If your dog is on a leash, then you can pull your dog out of harms way. With the wireless, you are depending on your dog's obediance to get it out of harms way. They were also telling me never leave the dog unattended with that system, If you loose power, the system's failsafe defaults to shocking the pet.
I know you believe you understand what you think I said,
But I am not sure you realize what you heard is not what I meant

2016 Leprechaun 319DS

DutchEagle

• ---
  • Stick and Brick in Woodbury,MN
    • Blog and Adventures and more!
« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2016, 07:30:50 PM »
We use two photo light stand sand bags and para-cord like this one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016D42TUU?psc=1

When arriving at a campground I throw out the sandbag (we have two of them), hook up the para-cord and the dog and we are done. They weigh 20 pound each so the dog has a hard job to get away. :) The para-cord can withstand 550 pound so plenty strong. It can tangle up but when the dog is outside, so are we.
Klaas (Retired 9/1/2016) & Eileen (+dog Bailey)
"Qua Patet Orbis" - Dutch Marines (1968-1975)
2005 Winnebago Vectra 40FD
Toad: 2011 Buick LaCrosse (Roadmaster Sterling towbar)

MiGal

• ---
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2016, 10:31:51 AM »
I ran across a couple that was using one of those systems last week. I kind of have mixed feelings about them though. It will generally contain your dog well, but what about the other dog that is loose and goes after your dog? If your dog is on a leash, then you can pull your dog out of harms way. With the wireless, you are depending on your dog's obediance to get it out of harms way. They were also telling me never leave the dog unattended with that system, If you loose power, the system's failsafe defaults to shocking the pet.
About the system shocking if power is lost, it depends on the manufacturer. Mine doesn't, it merely quits working. It's a given that you never ever leave the dog(s) outside unattended on these. By that, I mean don't leave on a shopping trip while the dog is outside. But it doesn't mean you can't run inside for a drink refill or bathroom break.
I still think it's a good way for containment. It does depend on the individual dog and the training given.

kdbgoat

• ---
« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2016, 10:39:18 AM »
Their's was a PetSafe brand.
I know you believe you understand what you think I said,
But I am not sure you realize what you heard is not what I meant

2016 Leprechaun 319DS

Jwall62

• ---
« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2016, 08:43:36 PM »
We use two photo light stand sand bags and para-cord like this one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016D42TUU?psc=1

When arriving at a campground I throw out the sandbag (we have two of them), hook up the para-cord and the dog and we are done. They weigh 20 pound each so the dog has a hard job to get away. :) The para-cord can withstand 550 pound so plenty strong. It can tangle up but when the dog is outside, so are we.

That's a pretty great idea, stealing that one!
2016 Coleman 192RDS
2016 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Z71

Brent365

• ---
« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2016, 09:50:14 PM »
We use one of these and it seems to work really well

https://www.amazon.com/Advantek-Original-Pet-Gazebo-Medium/dp/B0076DLUHQ
2015 Ram 3500 DRW
2017 Road Warrior 427

Jeannine

• ---
« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2016, 09:17:42 AM »
We use one of these and it seems to work really well

https://www.amazon.com/Advantek-Original-Pet-Gazebo-Medium/dp/B0076DLUHQ

Our next door neighbor at Timber Valley has two of those hooked together.  They work well and are attractive.

Jeannine
2009 HitchHiker 37CKRD
2014 RAM 3500

Brent365

• ---
« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2016, 09:32:16 AM »
Agree. They fold up easily and take up minimal space. Putting a couple of them together is genius. Your very own doggie condo is a box.
2015 Ram 3500 DRW
2017 Road Warrior 427

JohnBill

• ---
« Reply #38 on: September 03, 2016, 02:13:49 PM »
I plan on traveling with my three Boston Terriers. I've thought about using https://www.premier1supplies.com/poultry/fencing.php?fence_id=96 which I currently use for my chickens. It has posts every 8' with double spikes for stability. 100 linear feet rolls up into a nice small bundle and the netting is sturdy enough for small dogs (>30lbs). Even though it says electrified, I don't use that feature. Its quite nice and very adjustable.

Hosted by Over The Network