Dog outdoor containment while RV'ing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We use the same folding pre-made 8 section dog fencing with success - that was until one dog figured out an escape route by jumping on top of the crate, then over the fence.

No longer do we place the crate  inside the pen, but instead add the front of the crate as an extra section.

After my initial posts of looking into the folding pens and reading where some campgrounds do not allow digging or driving rods into the ground, we did stay at a campground recently that prohibited such actions.  So we have settled on a rope.  I summoned up some of my long lost sailing skills and spliced a large snap hook on one end of a rope and typically snap it to an eye bolt I installed on the rear of my TT. If the lay of the land render this location not suitable, we attach to a tree or picnic table.  On the other end, I spliced a typical dog leash snap hook to attach to Kenji's harness.  Works great, less expensive and a cinch to do.

Not so much a reply as a question.  I have used X pens and love them.  However closing off the step area is difficult.  I was at a RV show and there was a woman there with a system to secure around the step.  Does anyone know about this?  And how to get in touch with her?

When I travel with my Shasta Compact and five little dogs, I stay at truck stops which usually allow overnight parking and I find a small area away from the trucks to park and put out my portable metal fencing, which folds up very small for transport, for them.  A ramp as well so they can go in and out of the trailer at will.  RV parks are overall dog unfriendly which is really sad.  Yes, my dogs bark but not so much when I am with them and I never leave them alone on the road, period.    Flying J and Pilot truck stops are the best.  Also some rest areas allow 8 hour parking which is enough time to get some shuteye and let my dogs out to do their thing.  I refuse to let anyone stop me from traveling because of my dogs.  If it is too hot and I don't have a/c in my trailer, I will stay at a hotel. 

Attachments

• fence1.jpg
    fence1.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 55
  • fence 2.jpg
    fence 2.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 25
Also, there are apps you can get that give you info on whether or not pets are allowed and how many.  Try Allstays Rest Stops Plus.  They also have apps for all the RV parks, truck stops etc. and are free or very low cost.  I think I paid $1.99 for the Allstays Rest Stops Plus.   

Not so much a reply as a question.  I have used X pens and love them.  However closing off the step area is difficult.  I was at a RV show and there was a woman there with a system to secure around the step.  Does anyone know about this?  And how to get in touch with her?

The system we use is a piece of plastic lattice from the home improvement store.  I cut it to fit the step area, with slots for the step supports.  We clip excersize pens to each side. In the pic, I have them zip-tied, but I've since put spring clips on the zip ties to make it easy to hook up and take down.

Attachments

• Steps.jpg
    Steps.jpg
    349.5 KB · Views: 76
Now THAT is a great idea to keep the dogs (esp my two 5 lb chihuahuas) from getting under the trailer and getting out.  Thank you! 

Use plastic coated wire chicken fencing. And the green metal stakes that go on the ground. Sold at Menards or any home improvement store.  But we have to be inside the fencing with our dogs. Really funny to look at. Because they want to be with her so bad

I haven't yet used it, as I'm so new my only camping experience was a 3 day "shakedown cruise" at a local campsite, but I'm planning to take along my wireless containment system. Living in Maine on 5 acres of wooded, and sloping granite ledge, a physical fence has never been an option for us. So my dogs have been trained to an underground (actually wired above ground) fence. I started with a wireless, then went to a physical, but I have the wireless yet. It can be set from 5 feet to 90 feet, so depending on the campground layout, that will keep my dog contained and on our campsite while we are outside enjoying the campfire.
I checked with a couple of campground owners, and they all said it's acceptable. And no, my dog does not break the barrier. Some dogs would (although it's a matter of training) and may not be for everyone. It won't work for little dogs (collar and receiver size), and should never be used on puppies under 6 months.
It may be an option for those with a larger dog, without a strong prey drive. I have a Lab, by the way.

Wireless or not ALL campgrounds demand your pets be on leashes..unless penned up which may not be allowed either. Regardless you won't get away with non leashes dogs...at least in the south west where we camp.....

MiGal said:
I haven't yet used it, as I'm so new my only camping experience was a 3 day "shakedown cruise" at a local campsite, but I'm planning to take along my wireless containment system. Living in Maine on 5 acres of wooded, and sloping granite ledge, a physical fence has never been an option for us. So my dogs have been trained to an underground (actually wired above ground) fence. I started with a wireless, then went to a physical, but I have the wireless yet. It can be set from 5 feet to 90 feet, so depending on the campground layout, that will keep my dog contained and on our campsite while we are outside enjoying the campfire.
I checked with a couple of campground owners, and they all said it's acceptable. And no, my dog does not break the barrier. Some dogs would (although it's a matter of training) and may not be for everyone. It won't work for little dogs (collar and receiver size), and should never be used on puppies under 6 months.
It may be an option for those with a larger dog, without a strong prey drive. I have a Lab, by the way.

I ran across a couple that was using one of those systems last week. I kind of have mixed feelings about them though. It will generally contain your dog well, but what about the other dog that is loose and goes after your dog? If your dog is on a leash, then you can pull your dog out of harms way. With the wireless, you are depending on your dog's obediance to get it out of harms way. They were also telling me never leave the dog unattended with that system, If you loose power, the system's failsafe defaults to shocking the pet.

We use two photo light stand sand bags and para-cord like this one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016D42TUU?psc=1

When arriving at a campground I throw out the sandbag (we have two of them), hook up the para-cord and the dog and we are done. They weigh 20 pound each so the dog has a hard job to get away. :) The para-cord can withstand 550 pound so plenty strong. It can tangle up but when the dog is outside, so are we.

kdbgoat said:
I ran across a couple that was using one of those systems last week. I kind of have mixed feelings about them though. It will generally contain your dog well, but what about the other dog that is loose and goes after your dog? If your dog is on a leash, then you can pull your dog out of harms way. With the wireless, you are depending on your dog's obediance to get it out of harms way. They were also telling me never leave the dog unattended with that system, If you loose power, the system's failsafe defaults to shocking the pet.
About the system shocking if power is lost, it depends on the manufacturer. Mine doesn't, it merely quits working. It's a given that you never ever leave the dog(s) outside unattended on these. By that, I mean don't leave on a shopping trip while the dog is outside. But it doesn't mean you can't run inside for a drink refill or bathroom break.
I still think it's a good way for containment. It does depend on the individual dog and the training given.

DutchEagle said:
We use two photo light stand sand bags and para-cord like this one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016D42TUU?psc=1

When arriving at a campground I throw out the sandbag (we have two of them), hook up the para-cord and the dog and we are done. They weigh 20 pound each so the dog has a hard job to get away. :) The para-cord can withstand 550 pound so plenty strong. It can tangle up but when the dog is outside, so are we.

That's a pretty great idea, stealing that one!

We use one of these and it seems to work really well

https://www.amazon.com/Advantek-Original-Pet-Gazebo-Medium/dp/B0076DLUHQ

Brent365 said:
We use one of these and it seems to work really well

https://www.amazon.com/Advantek-Original-Pet-Gazebo-Medium/dp/B0076DLUHQ

Our next door neighbor at Timber Valley has two of those hooked together.  They work well and are attractive.

Jeannine

Agree. They fold up easily and take up minimal space. Putting a couple of them together is genius. Your very own doggie condo is a box.

I plan on traveling with my three Boston Terriers. I've thought about using https://www.premier1supplies.com/poultry/fencing.php?fence_id=96 which I currently use for my chickens. It has posts every 8' with double spikes for stability. 100 linear feet rolls up into a nice small bundle and the netting is sturdy enough for small dogs (>30lbs). Even though it says electrified, I don't use that feature. Its quite nice and very adjustable.

Back
Top Bottom