Adding an exterior TV to a 2013 Phaeton 36GH. How I did it!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SargeW

Site Team
This is a "How To" thread on installing an exterior TV in my new rig, that didn't come with one from the factory. It helped that I am at CRB right now (the Tiffin Motorhome factory), as it made getting parts easy.

I will start off by saying that before I decided to attempt this project, I did a lot of research first. I got a schematic of the slide wall that showed the aluminum studs, one that showed the location of any wiring that may have been inside the wall. And yes there was some wire in the wall, just not at the end that I was working on. These were obtained from the good folks at Tiffin, which everyone I spoke to was more that happy to help me out. Very good customer relations from the Tiffin employees.

After checking that the wall that I wanted to install the TV box in was clear of obstructions, next came the specific measurements. I ordered a box from the Tiffin store and it took one day to be delivered. The box came with the box frame, the door with lock attached, the lifting struts on the door, and the weather seal already in place. I ordered a box to fit a 32" TV. The box itself was 37" wide and 26" tall. That does not count the 3/4" flange on the outside of the box that covers the edge of the mounting hole. For my needs, I had to have a hole 37 1/2 inches wide, and 26 1/2 inches tall.

I started by removing the fireplace, and fireplace shelf to gain access to the back of the space where I would be cutting the hole.
I knew that I had to have exactly 37 1/2" to fit the box and no less. Measuring inside the enclosure I knew it would be close. I was about 1/4" short of getting the fit, so I removed a rear side support on the left side rear of the fire box to gain the needed distance.

With the brace removed I checked for obstructions by using a small drill bit and drilling into the corner up and down the the length of the intended cut. I could tell when I hit the corner aluminum stud. The next step was to cut away the wall board over the stud to determine the exact amount of space I would have to place the TV box. Notice up to this point, I could back out at any time if I determined that it was not a feasible project.

Clearing the stud and measuring I could tell that I would have exactly enough room to mount the box with a little wiggle room for adjustments if necessary. Next I used a Multi Purpose tool to cut out the wall board on the inside of the rig. I borrowed it from another owner here at CRB, Don. He is here watching Tiffin build his new coach. I have not used one of these before, but it's a pretty slick tool, and highly recommended.

I need to point out here that I learned by stopping by the factory and viewing a slide out room being built that Tiffin uses steel braces in the corners of it's slide out rooms for strength. The braces are 5" long, and 1 1/2' tall and "L" shaped. To raise the box just enough to clear any such braces I purchased a piece of 2X2" lumber from the local lumber yard. I cut apiece to fit on the floor under the box to hold it high enough to clear any such brace material I may run into.

With the box laid out on the inside, I crossed the point of no return and drilled a hole in the lower left corner of the box cut out where the two aluminum studs intersected. That was the point that the whole project would be measured from.

From there I measured out and drilled the other three corner holes, measuring carefully and checking the box for square. I did learn that the trim piece on the outside of the slide is slightly out of square with the wall of the slide, but there is nothing to do about that now!

I measured and drew out the rest of the box on the outside using a level and a Sharpie. Then I drilled the other holes from the outside. I then taped the exterior of the layout with duct tape to protect the paint when cutting with the jig saw.

And then I started to cut. Here is the only place that I seriously under estimated the needed tools. I had originally bought a 2 pack of 18 tooth per inch jig saw blades. They were rated for light steel and fiberglass. I needed about 8 total by the time I was done. Thankfully the DW ran back to the hardware store to pick up some more.

Setting the box was pretty simple. The DW helped me hit the hole, and a neighbor came by to help wiggle it in the hole. There are small rivets sticking out the side of the box in a few places where the factory rivets the two halves of the box together. A little persuasion with a small block of wood and a hammer, and the box popped in.

With the box in the hole, I stripped off the duct tape protecting the paint and used some adhesive caulk under the flange. With the box in place I bought some stainless self tapping screws to fasten the box to the aluminum studs on the bottom and left side. I also cut another piece of the 2X2 stock for the top of the box. The box is about 3 5/8" deep, so placing the 2X2 on the top of the box and running some screws up through the box and into the 2X2 locked the top of the box in place.

Within minutes of finishing the project, it started to rain. But the box is tight and ready for the TV.
I went to the store to inquire about the mounting bracket for the TV. It will run about $40 to complete. I am hoping to get into a service bay tomorrow, so it may be a few days before I can post pics of the TV mounted.

So the whole project to this point cost me about $350. I already have the TV to put in the box so that is a wash. I would definitely do this again, especially since the estimate from the shop to just install the box without the TV was $1700.  I'm a happy camper!

Attachments

• 002 (2).JPG
    002 (2).JPG
    139.1 KB · Views: 216
  • 017 (2).JPG
    017 (2).JPG
    127.3 KB · Views: 166
  • 015 (2).JPG
    015 (2).JPG
    137 KB · Views: 154
  • 020 (2).JPG
    020 (2).JPG
    142.6 KB · Views: 158
  • 024.JPG
    024.JPG
    151.3 KB · Views: 139
  • 026.JPG
    026.JPG
    148.9 KB · Views: 144
  • 035.JPG
    035.JPG
    154.1 KB · Views: 180
  • 036.JPG
    036.JPG
    154.7 KB · Views: 160
  • 053.JPG
    053.JPG
    169 KB · Views: 152
  • 055.JPG
    055.JPG
    164.4 KB · Views: 237
And the rest of the pics...

Attachments

• 058.JPG
    058.JPG
    149 KB · Views: 121
  • 077.JPG
    077.JPG
    155.5 KB · Views: 121
  • 079.JPG
    079.JPG
    159.4 KB · Views: 144
  • 087.JPG
    087.JPG
    154.5 KB · Views: 188
  • 094.JPG
    094.JPG
    158.7 KB · Views: 166
  • 095.JPG
    095.JPG
    156.1 KB · Views: 162
  • 096.JPG
    096.JPG
    147.7 KB · Views: 172
  • 108.JPG
    108.JPG
    149.9 KB · Views: 163
  • 113.JPG
    113.JPG
    147.3 KB · Views: 192
  • 112.JPG
    112.JPG
    168.6 KB · Views: 224
are you going to re mount the skin to the outside? and what did you do inside put the fireplace back? does it get hot on the back side? great project by the way I would love to put in an outside tv on mine.

No, that door is an aluminum skin that will be painted to match the rest of the coach. Yes, the fire place on the inside is really just an electric space heater. No real heat is generated on the back side as a small fan blows air over a set of coils that heats the room. 

Thanks Steve, I can't wait to get rollin' again!

Dang Marty! That looks great! My palms were sweating as I viewed the pictures of you drilling into the side. Were yours?  ??? Looks every bit as good as a factory job!

Kev

Wow, that did turn out really nice, very good job. I also don't know if I could cut on the siding though. Think I would have passed out when I pulled the trigger on the jig saw!  ;D

Marty

Have you had an estimate on how much the paint job will cost?  Did Tiffins estimate include the painting?

Kevin Means said:
My palms were sweating as I viewed the pictures of you drilling into the side. Were yours?
Kev

Actually I had butterfly's in my stomach until the first drill hole Kev. Then it was, will I guess I'm committed now!

Terry A. Brewer said:
Marty

Have you had an estimate on how much the paint job will cost?  Did Tiffins estimate include the painting?

No not yet Terry. Tiffin wouldn't do the install. They are so slammed with work they aren't doing any mods right now, just service work.  The estimate I had was from a guy here in town, Bruce Deaton.  His estimate included paint, but not the TV or the TV mounting bracket.

I'm gonna have Tiffin do the paint on the door when they do a few other small touch up areas on the coach. I'm guesstimating between 200 to 300 for the paint on the door.  Either way I am WAY ahead on what it was going to cost me.

Rene T said:
Nice Job. Weren't there any studs involved?

No studs Rene. I had a service rep pull the schematic for the slide wall before I would move forward with the install. I also identified where all of the 110 and 12 volt wires were in the wall.  No issues where I had to cut. 

Looks great! (Not sure I would have had the nerves to do this!). You had to have saved a bundle!!  I'm surprised the coach didn't come w/one. Most of the Tiffins I've seen on the lots have it.

Since the new TV install is going so well,  I have  decided to sell my current set up. It is a Mor ryde sliding mount for installation in a storage bay. It includes a 32" Vizio TV. PM me if interested.

I have decided to install an articulating mount to mount the new TV in the exterior box. That way I can pull the TV out and tilt it if I want to avoid the sun glare.  That and some paint and  will be styling!   

When we were RV shopping last year, we looked real hard at a Newmar Ventana 4018. Its outside entertainment center had an articulating TV mount and I remember wondering why other manufacturers didn't use them. ($$ no doubt)

The funny thing is that the mounts aren't that expensive. And it really makes a lot of sense with an outside TV, being able to angle away from the glare.  Maybe it will catch on!

Marty,

Terry is well known for his fearless methods of drilling holes into the top of  a rig for solar panels, antennas, tv stuff on an on but you win for  fearless cutting away at side  of RV.  Gulp!  It does look great and will be a good place to do outside exercise! 

Well the project is moving along. Today I built the support frame for the new TV mount. I used 2X4 lumber to build a frame, and lag bolted it to the frame of the TV box. I needed a deeper frame to set the TV mount on as the box is 3 1/2" deep. The articulating mount is about 2 1/2" thick by itself.

I also cut two cripples to wedge under the frame to transfer any weight to the floor of the slide instead of the slide wall. The box is already supported on two sides by stainless screws driven into the aluminum studs. This just gives the whole structure a little more support.

And finally the articulating mount ready for the TV. This particular mount will extend 20" from mounting point. That will move the TV out about 15" from the wall of the RV, and tilt in any direction.

Attachments

• IMG_20140412_122432_411 (2).jpg
    IMG_20140412_122432_411 (2).jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_20140412_122502_288 (2).jpg
    IMG_20140412_122502_288 (2).jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_20140412_132328_311 (2).jpg
    IMG_20140412_132328_311 (2).jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_20140412_140818_792 (2).jpg
    IMG_20140412_140818_792 (2).jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_20140412_140849_127 (2).jpg
    IMG_20140412_140849_127 (2).jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_20140412_141336_720 (2).jpg
    IMG_20140412_141336_720 (2).jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 112
Thought I would add a few pics of the finished install of the exterior TV. Diane uses it nearly every day. And days like today that were sunny and humid in the morning, she was able to angle the screen so she could work out in the shade. Pretty cool!

Then the back of the frame was filled in with shade cloth obtained while at CRB. It is the same material that our pull down window shades are made with. It finishes the back of the cabinet and keeps critters out, while letting the air circulate around the TV.

Attachments

• 002 (3).JPG
    002 (3).JPG
    165.1 KB · Views: 109
  • 003 (3).JPG
    003 (3).JPG
    148.6 KB · Views: 107
  • 004 (3).JPG
    004 (3).JPG
    156.6 KB · Views: 101
  • 006 (3).JPG
    006 (3).JPG