"Coach Heater" dash switch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dougie Brown

Searched unsuccessfully for this both on the forum and in the Winnie manual.

What's this ""High/off/Low" rocker switch for on the dash?  Nothing appears to happen when it's switched on.

Dougie.

I believe it should turn on a fan which forces hot air up thru your heater floor vents throughout the coach when engine is running.  This is to provide interior heat while traveling in the coach.

More than likely the motor/fan bearings are froze up and blew the fuse.  These motor/fan bearings are well known for not lasting long.

On your model it may only blow in the rear of the motor home, that is the way our 1999 Brave is set up. It is called "MotorAid" and uses engine water recirculated through a heat exchanger and the hot water heater.

I did notice a blown 15A fuse some time ago under the dash and replaced it, although nothing seemed to work afterwards which didn't beforehand.  After switching the heater switch on High yesterday for a couple of hours whilst travelling, I checked the fuses again and found the 15A blown as before.  Replaced it again, tried the switch again just now with ignition on (too late to start engine) and nothing happened (no motor, no blown fuse).  I'll try with the engine on in the morning.

Today, an odd thing happened (or actually didn't).  The generator switch next to the heater switch failed to work for the first time ever, although the second switch on the main control panel in the coach works fine.  As I say, no blown fuses.  :(

Dougie.

I am just repeating what others have said, under your bed you will find a hot water furnace with hoses leading to your engine.  The switch controls the fan on this furnace. It has been known to leak so keep an eye on the connections and the quality of the hoses, you do not want coolant leaks spoiling your day/night.

Don G

Hi Dougie,
I owned a 1999 Chieftain which is probably similar layout as your 2000 Adventurer.  Is your water heater up front on passenger side?  If so, the coach heater box may be mounted just behind the water heater.  The blower assy used by Winnie are notorious for having the blower cage shift & and the case warping  so that it rubs and will cause it pull too much current.  It then will blow the fuse and or circuit breaker.  It may also blow a thermal fuse inside the blower assy.  Mine failed on my 2004 Chieftain and I have had to fix it twice in 10 yrs of ownership.  Hopefully you can access the blower without pulling the water heater out..... that is a big pain in the buttt. 
I had to recenter the squirrel cage on the shaft.

Good luck,
Bill

I checked today and there is no heater assembly at the rear of the coach/under the bed etc.  I kinda thought this was the case as we had all the flooring replaced last year and the coach was stripped out.  Bill, the water heater is indeed where you mention, and has a heat exchanger for hot water.  Behind it though it inaccessible unless you're a 3-foot monkey with technical training (I've tried to replace the electrical thermostat but it's impossible).  I've never seen any other motor assembly there though.  So thanks everyone for all the sggestions.  I've lived without it for 3 years and don't miss what I've never had. :)

Dougie.

Dougie,
Last Feb when the Texas temps dropped 40 deg in about a 2 hr drive, it was very nice to have the coach preheated when we got to the campsite.
Since you have two issues to fix, I think I would pull the water heater.  Pulling it out is not difficult except for the butyl rubber.....what I call "brutal rubber".  You just have to be patient and keep slicing it on the back side of the outside perimeter and then don't let it get close enough to stick back together  I had to fix  the seal on the electric heating probe in the back side, and could not get the last 1 in out without sliding the w/h out a few inches.

Good luck when you get a round tuit.
Bill

Bill, I agree that having two reasons to pull the WH is a lot better than either one on its own.  I'll do the research.

Pity you removed the link - loved it. :D

Dougie.

I was trying to add an image & not just a link
I think this is the link.......

Edit by staff:  fixed it for you Bill

Attachments

• RoundTuit.jpg
    RoundTuit.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 14

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads