Ready for upgrade

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adun015

I am ready to upgrade and am getting ready to do the walk thru, test drive and final paperwork on a 2001 Winnebago Itasca Horizon 36cd. Price is below NADA average and overall first impressions are that the MH is in good+ condition. My question, before walk thru and test drive, is there anything that might deserve a little closer scrutiny with this motorhome. I have pulled all of the information regarding checklist in the RV forum library and specifications from the Winnebago site so I fell I have all of the standard equipment and options available on this model so I think I have that base covered.

Any advice or information would be appreciated.

The lists will point you in the right direction. Looking for leaks would be high on my list, as well as the date codes on the tires. Putting a new set of rubber on that rig would be about $2500 out of the chute. Don't go by tread, as it still may look brand new. The age of the rubber is the most important thing on an RV.  Anything over 7 years is highly suspect. How many miles are on the RV?

^^What Marty said^^ and I would have a disinterested third party that's ideally a) a certified RV tech or b) somebody you trust that's familiar with RVs to look over the house part.  Have Freightliner (assuming that's the chassis manufacturer) look over the chassis.

Rig has 62k on it ( low miles, sometimes not the best on DP as I understand ) rubber question came up quick but I didn't go back out to check that so it is first on the check list. I am making this purchase from Camping World in Myrtle Beach SC.

Anecdotally speaking, Camping World has a less that stellar reputation for their service department so factor that into your purchase decision if a condition of sale involves fixing this and that.  Ideally, have them fix/mitigate ALL issues before you sign/pay for the rig - you will never have more leverage than before money changes hands.

I guess the new picture and signature says it all. 8)

Ask and ye shall receive.

Attachments

• ).jpg
    ).jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 74
  • 2001 Itasca 3.jpg
    2001 Itasca 3.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 68
  • 2001 Itasca 5.jpg
    2001 Itasca 5.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 85
  • 2001 Itasca 10.jpg
    2001 Itasca 10.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 84
  • 2001 Itasca 9.jpg
    2001 Itasca 9.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 80
  • 2001 Itasca 11.jpg
    2001 Itasca 11.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 73
The rear view camera monitor had to be replaced as well as a board in the refrigerator. Hope to be going back this Saturday and making the pick up. First trip planned for Mothers Day week-end. My youngest son is walking the walk in Waynesville N.C. as a graduate of the Haywood Community College with double AS.  :-* :-* :-*

UPDATE: We picked up the MH on Monday 5/12 and have completed our at home inspection, load in, manual's read etc. We are going to try and get out this week-end but being Memorial day week-end not sure if we will find anything close by BUT vacation begins on 6/9/2014 and will be either heading to Williamsburg, Va. or the mountains around Maggie Valley area for the week.  Yeah, ready to ROLL  :)

We have the 36LD from that model year and really have liked it.  You may want to check out the inverter as Xantrex no longer has parts available for the old Heart/Freedom inverters.  If its been replaced so much the better.  We went throught that last year and replaced it with a Magnum as much for the charging function as the inverter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom