Hurry....winter is ending 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Len and Jo

Got our van out of the storage lot yesterday.  Can't go up north with the van without the van.  Happy to say the house batteries were still at 12.50volts after the multi months in storage. 

The house batteries are 5 years out this year so I suppose they no longer hold 230ah of juice any more.  Indeed I am also finding it harder to hold........ never mind :-\.

Anyway I have topped them off this last 24 hours and am going to do a stress test on them.  IE:  do a current drain test for several hours and see what the battery voltage level levels out at.

So, to start the process off I measured the current drain of every 12 volt item we use and thought I would share that information.  Last year I replaced all but one light with LED bulbs.  What a difference as you can see by the list.  The side door kitchen light contains the only incandescent bulb still on the house batteries.

Am now draining the house batteries at a 5.7 amp-hour rate for the next 10 hours and will then let the batteries rest over night and see what voltage remains.

Attachments

• Scan0029.jpg
    Scan0029.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 22
I would of thought the fan would draw more juice than the bulb. Thanks for sharing the chart, I think I'll keep it on file.

Well I finished by house battery load tests.  Our 5 year old house batteries have lost 21%-41% of their Ah capacity with age.  I can't narrow it down any more than that because I never ran a baseline when they were new.  The good news is converting all our lights to LED's has really reduced the number of amps we use in a evening by at least 80%.

Would like to hold off one or two more years before getting new house batteries.

Make that four tanks of fuel for my 'B'

Why?  Although amp carrying capacity is reduced with age 21% to 41% (230 Ah down to 136-182Ah) and will only of course get worse, they is still life in the batteries.  By converting to LED's my main pwr needs have been reduced 80%, so with that revision I am still way ahead of the game for Ah needs.  Keep the batteries another year would effectively reduces my battery yearly cost by 20%.  And if two years would work, 40%ish.  My Scottish grandmother would be proud.  Also old lead-acid batteries are not the most friendly thing for the environment so 20%-40%  longer useful life effectively reduces my battery purchases (and scrapping) by 20%-40%.  Looks like a all around win to me.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom