"Outdoor" entertainment systems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

woodartist

Curious as to what others think about the use of "outdoor" TV's, stereo's, etc. Personally they annoy us, but we are more into the remote "get away" type of existence. When we have had to spend a night in a campground or parking lot....well ;)

Personally, I'd prefer that folks keep their "entertainment" to themselves rather than impose it on their neighbors, especially if our tastes in music are significantly different. I really don't understand why folks want outdoor TVs and stereo systems. I wonder if they have these same systems outdoors at home and similarly blast their 'stick house' neighbors with it.

Others might have different opinions.

Daytime or with headphones, No problem,, Night time.. Other than "Old Time Radio" I turn them off, and I turn that off if it bothers folks (In fact I only turn it ON by request)

Old time radio is found at www.live365.com  however before you click the link I have a warning, unless you are a subscriber the service is paid for with pop-up ads, dozens of them, and many of those pop up ads contain spy ware or other stuff you really should scrub,  Subscription is not expensive and stops all the ads, 100% all you get is a "you are listening to Live 365" once an a while in the audio stream (Station Identification)

Old Time Radio, CBS Mystery Radio Theater, And every kind of music you can think of

Thanks for the old time radio info. Love those :)

Well, I do know there are people who have outdoor speakers and such at their homes. Never lived near one though. I've noticed there are boats that have some heavy duty amplifiers and speakers also. Sure would ruin my fishing day:) Seems as though the ones who blast the music, blast the type I don't care for.................come to think of it, never heard any loud old time radio programs ;D

The folks who play their music loud all the time sooner or later lose their hearing and need the music blasting even louder.

Good point Tom...never thought of it that way although with the amplitude of todays music ( booming from cars) I think an investment in future audiology products/stocks/testing would be a good bet ;D Blew my ears out using earphones and didn't bother anyone in the process ::) Morse code, CW, stuff.............

woodartist said:
Blew my ears out using earphones and didn't bother anyone in the process ::) Morse code, CW, stuff.............

Blew mine out working at a steel plant in the 60's. 18 months after I quit that place I started hearing frequencies/tones I hadn't heard in a long time and thought "I'm lucky". But, whenever I'm in a noisy restaurant or a place that's playing loud music, my ears shut down - go into self-protect mode I guess. In the simplest case I can't separate the sounds or their oirgins, but in the extreme case I go totally deaf. For the longest time, friends couldn't understand why, in a very noisy party sitting alongside huge speakers blasting out loud music (several hundred watts), I could go to sleep.

Here's the "secret" - when you can't hear a damned thing and everyone else seems to be having a good time, there's nowt to do other than go to sleep.

I'm with you Tom on this one.  Sure is irresponsible to play music or television so loud it is an annoyance to the neighbors.  Like you I just can't understand why anyone would need an outside system anyhow.

Well Tom, mine is a high frequency loss and it is very difficult to hear high frequencies...like women's voices. Yeah, bummer ::) My Dad was able to ignore loud noises and would also go to sleep with sounds blasting around him. Tough at family gatherings and dinners....for everyone else :D

I started this thread because I was curious if anyone who used the outdoor entertainment systems and loud music would offer their opinions...any out there????

woodartist said:
I started this thread because I was curious if anyone who used the outdoor entertainment systems and loud music would offer their opinions.

Ya thinks that any outdoor blaster is going to say anything other than "it's a good thing"  ???

woodartist said:
I started this thread because I was curious if anyone who used the outdoor entertainment systems and loud music would offer their opinions...any out there????

Once upon a time Gary Brink had some outdoor speakers and played some stuff us pre-boomers enjoyed as background for eating, drinking and talking.  That was enjoyable but it only happened once.

I think there is very little more interesting to a group rv forum folks than each other and loud music would cause us to go elsewhere.

Joel

John In Detroit said:
Old time radio is found at www.live365.com  however before you click the link I have a warning, unless you are a subscriber the service is paid for with pop-up ads, dozens of them, and many of those pop up ads contain spy ware or other stuff you really should scrub...

John, it's a long time that I'm listening www.live365.com (don't need a "normal" radio anymore which doesn't play the kind of music I like - my live365-favorite-list is about 40 stations long). Even though not being a VIP I have never run in problems because of pop-up-ads. Using firefox as browser. Also Norton and some other things to keep pop-ups and fatal things away from me.

I can't understand why anyone would need to entertain the quite evening with their sound systems being added by RV manufacturers.? They, RV Builders, must not spend very much time in their RVs.
Joe

Joe Bee said:
They, RV Builders, must not spend very much time in their RVs.

Joe, that's a subject that could have a life of it's own  ;D

Ya thinks that any outdoor blaster is going to say anything other than "it's a good thing"  Huh
Well, I am curious how one can justify basting the music and TV. We have had people pull next to us and blast away. The concept is so far removed from our minds that we always ask why....well, not in those kind words ;) It seems to also reflect the attitude of the owner...arrogance. I'm sure they enjoy it and fell they are privileged and enjoy the annoyance of others...........if not, why do it? Anyway, glad to see that the posts are in agreement with our thoughts. You can build an inexpensive jammer to kick up the dust ;D

woodartist said:
It seems to also reflect the attitude of the owner...arrogance.

True, although not always. Sometimes it's just plain ignorance of their impact on their neighbors.

Well, the thread might have created some awareness...hope so ;) I know there are some areas where music is blasted from cars, but at least they drive on by or only stay a short while in a parking lot. DOn't understand that either and I'm sure they are damaging their hearing......I didn't listen either :-[

woodartist said:
I've noticed there are boats that have some heavy duty amplifiers and speakers also. Sure would ruin my fishing day..

We live in a waterfront community, so boats are a way of life here. Lots of ski boats go in and out with their stereo systems blasting who-knows-what from speakers mounted on what might once have been called radar arches; On today's ski boats they're used for mounting multiple speakers and water skis or trick skis. They really don't bother us because they're "driving by" at a distance, although sound does travel over water. We only hear it for a short duration and it's part of the ambience of living on the water. But, if someone decided to anchor behind our house and blast out that stuff, I'd have to retreat indoors.

When I'm out fishing and one of these boats goes by, I'm disturbed more by their wake than the loud music. I put up with the wake and smile to myself knowing they'll have hearing problems one day. Payback is a bitch  ;D

Understand Tom. We spend the Winter's along the Colorado and it isn't too bad. Did live there for 8 years, and the summer is a circus. ::) Worked around the problem by hiking/fishing early in the morning and it was  very quiet. Noise didn't start til 9-10 am and all I could figure is that the folks partied late, therefore slept late ;)

I would think the RV manufacturers would have survey data and marketing data to guide their building. Don't know, but seems logical. Guess a survey could be created here to see the wants and needs. Although people are varied in likes and dislikes....so most of the data will be spread out? Since people are different, I think of the old saw were the avergae person is 5 ft. 8 inches tall.....so make al the clothing for a person 5' 8' inches:)

Joe Bee said:
I can't understand why anyone would need to entertain the quite evening with their sound systems being added by RV manufacturers.? They, RV Builders, must not spend very much time in their RVs.
Joe

We enjoy our outside entertainment system.  When we are camping around others, we do make sure we aren't bothering anybody, but we like to sit around and tell lies and just have a little music going in the background.  We by no means have it "blasting" but we do use it.  Some of the places we camp are more of a party atmosphere too, and there's loud music all over the place, but when we are in a quieter atmosphere we stay quiet.

Back
Top Bottom