"Outdoor" entertainment systems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We enjoy our outside entertainment system and use it often, we don't have the sterreo or tv loud. It is great for tail gating. It is amazing how many people gather around with us while using our outside entertainment and then we fire up the grill and do a cookout. We have never bothered anyone and do abide by the quiet hours of all campgrounds. Not any differnt then a dog barking. Here in FL we like to spend a lot of time outdoors. Which reminds me of a trip my husband took with the boys and my son up to the mountains of Virgina to do some ATV riding..... In the eventing they would carry the TV outside by the fire circle and everyone would gather around to watch something like City Slickers or Blazing Saddles. The owner said "What is it with you people from FL you all always bring the TV outside"

I just want to let you know we do not have the sound up loud and abide by the quiet hours. We have met a lot of fellow RV'ers this way too.

Happy Trails
Colleen

Oh I forgot to answer the one question about if these people have outdoor entertainment systems at their homes? Well we do we have the sterro and TV and again if we are going to be having a lot of people over for evening time we talk to our neighbors and let them know and also invite them, and the same we never have the sound up loud after 10 or 11pm.

ColleenFL

Hi Colleen,

Don't take my comments and questions too seriously  :)

We live in a waterfront community which is usually quiet during the week. Friday evening the place comes alive with folks socializing and partying on their decks and boats going in and out with their stereos pumping out some strange sounds. As you probably know, noise sure travels over water, especially after dark, so we get to feel we're at someone's party without actually being invited. Many folks, including us, have outside speakers and the whole scene is part of the ambience of living here. Occasionally a party wiill go into the wee hours, but we're in bed long before that and, if the music is too loud or objectionable, we just close the bedroom door.

I am with Colleen and Dave.  My Admiral is with the other side!  ;D

I love outdoor music, whether it emanates from my coach, or my neighbors., or the concert band in the outdoor shell.  there is a SPECIAL quality about music when it is played outdoors.

I had hoped to get karaoke going at QZ last year, because to me there would be nothing finer than music in the night time desert air. along with people laughing and having a good time.  Instead, I found I was surrounded by quiet people who like quiet campfires and philosophy and tech talk.

this is fine too!  I am glad I like most different strokes.  I would not trade my QZ friends for any in the world.

But I am also glad to see there are some folks here who like outdoor music.  I also like outdoor TV, especially when football is on.  Heck, if you like camping outdoors and you like football... why not combine them?

I have met many great people, either over their media system or over mine.  When you come across someone who likes the same music or roots for the same team, there is an instant connection.  This connection would never occur if the media transmission were inside their coach or trailer.

The important thing is to enjoy your own stroke without ruining another person's different stroke.  This takes some real open-mindedness and sensitivity.

Smoky said:
The important thing is to enjoy your own stroke without ruining another person's different stroke.? This takes some real open-mindedness and sensitivity.

To me, that is the key.  You have to adapt to your surroundings to an extent so that you aren't invading someone else's weekend, but if the surroundings provide it, I would much rather sit around a hot fire with a cold beer and tell lies with some music going.  I've been around some that didn't need the loud media playing, they were loud enough on their own.

Just seems that being outside watching the heavens, listening to birds, coyotes, owls, etc. is in conflict with TV and music. ;) If outdoor TV and music is of interest, then that seems consistent with going into a bar or concert? Sound travels over water, as Tom said, and it also travels well in the woods. Guess the outside music/tv thing is something I just will never understand. WOnder what nature thinks?  :)

Some nature does indeed enjoy music and TV.

My parents once owned a snapping turtle named "Max" who would come to the sound of fast music and rock his head back and forth.? This is a true story.? Max actually was found that way at a picnic.? Someone was playing the radio and Max came out of the woods.? No one wanted anything to do with him because he was a fairly large snapper, but my father was familiar with snapping turtles and had them as pets as a youngster.? He and my mom took Max home.? They lived near a lake in Pennsylvania.

Max would scratch the door to go from the porch into the house when he heard the right kind of music.? My parents would not let him in the house, but they would tune the radio to the same station on the porch.

I once had a dog who would fall asleep to good classical music.

It is known that some birds respond to some kinds of music and even create music on their own accord.

I have not met nature yet that likes football on TV, but I am sure they are out there.? Wait a minute!? My current dog "Sky" LOVES football on TV.? Oh...maybe it is because he loves beer and always finds it when football is on TV.? Sometimes hard in this research to separate cause from effect.? ?;D ;D

I guess my point here is that things are relative and we should not assume our own standards apply to everyone.

Don't get me wrong... cause this isn't me... but I thought I might add a provacative question.? Sort of stir the pot a little bit.

What should we do when we are around someone who hates silence and likes to go camping to get around lots of commotion, music, and other kinds of noise?

I say this isn't me, but there is a little bit of me in it.? That is why I sometimes like to go to rallies, state fairs, auto races, and some campgrounds known for their party atmospheres.? I am dying one day to go to the slabs because I hear it is a lot like that.

Are we ever obligated to make at least a little noise to accomodate our neighbors who don't like to be disturbed by silence?? ?;D ;D

(edited to add an answer for "Woody"'s nature question.)

I don't know the answers Smoky...maybe we all go back to a cave. I have an astronomer friend who is disturbed by all the light pollution....especially round the cities. Some street lights are shot out for a reason:) I do wonder about people who will pull up to a quiet area and let lose with all the "Yuppy" toys. Many times we have been sitting outside enjoying the evening and here they come...usually the people with more money than brains and more "stuff" than one can believe. It probably goes to the other thread as to why someone would pull up near you when there are many spots far away. Maybe the enjoy irritating people and flat tires...who knows.

Interesting about the music and animals. Can't say our dogs enjoy it , but whenever a dog barks on the Animal Planet, or a cat makes noise, their heads fly up with ears towards the sky. Same with movies:)

LOL Woody, and thanks for tolerating my weird sense of humor.

In my lifetime I have learned to be careful about "values".  They are very individual.  In situations like these I always try reversing the my own point of view and then pretend I truly have the other point of view.  It is amazing how our own likes and dislikes are so easily transformed into "thou shall do or not do" mandates for others. 

I remember once I was at a community meeting in Maryland.  The discussion going on was about bringing the black community and white community closer together.  Someone was trying to make a point and ask me to honestly share what I felt if I found myself in a room of black strangers.  I honestly answered that I would feel a little nervous, maybe even scared.  When I said that 3 or 4 black community members began laughing.  The person who asked me the question asked them why they found that funny.  One of the gentleman answered that it was because he felt scared if he found himself in a room full of white strangers.

This really hit home with me.  I suddenly realized how heavily my own experiences weighed on my feelings and judgments.

That is why I reversed your feelings and wondered how people who did not like silence might feel about silent neighbors.  Yes, it is a bit of a stretch.  More often people seek camping for quiet at least, if not solitude.  But that is not an iron clad rule.  What I feel though that is really important, there is no intrinsic right for campers to insist on quiet just as there is no intrinsic right for campers to insist on noise.  "Intrinsic" being the operative word here.

Queit and noise has no intrinsic value.  If it did, then noise would not be allowed at a football game.  The issue is actually quite complex and involves community relationships much more than one person's sense of values.  At least that is what I feel I have learned in my life. 

Heck!  Now I have to go and re-examine my view on how important IFS is in selecting a coach.  ;D

Good stories. I have to amplify one thing about going back to a cave. I did sleep in a cave a few years back and the bats drove me crazy as well as the mice.....so that may not be the answer either ;D

Well Pierat, in this day there is a risk of getting shot if you put your nose in the wrong place ;)  I have seen some active disputes where generators were at issue and the police had to settle it....evicting both. I've found that the people who are a problem are not the ones I would want to talk to :eek:

Pierat said:
So, does nobody ask the people who are being loud to turn it down?

I've worked at a couple of parks as a campground host. One of my jobs was to politely ask campers to turn down their music if it was too loud. How did the park define 'too loud'? If you could hear it outside of your campsite, it was considered 'too loud'. I had to ask a couple of times for folks to turn down their music. They always complied quite nicely, apologized, and said they didn't realize it was that loud. Ask nicely and you might be surprised.

Well Wendy, in campgrounds there is some leverage. But why do these people have the music going loud? Arrogance to me ::) My complaint is the non-campground...although we have met some of the idiots there also ( campgrounds). Barking dogs ( guy wound up shooting his wife), loud music, blaring TV's, Rap bass, etc........why do people want to annoy others??? That is my problem. Have had the same problems in stick houses, so it isn't confined to RV areas. I was just curious on the perspective of those who annoy folks. Not in my skill set ::) ::) Again, the old saying " some people are alive because it is illegal to shoot them" comes to mind ;) ;) I'm not going to confront drugged addicts and drunks...I always let the authorities deal with it ::)

woodartist said:
........why do people want to annoy others???

I don't think people (ok, most people) 'want to annoy others.' I think many don't realize that their noise is not of interest or is irritating to others. And some just don't care if they're bothering others. It's not a concious decision to annoy others.

Agreed Wendy..it is a conscious decision.........just don't understand the "why."  ::) I guess if one could find that answer we would be at world peace:) I'll take animals before people all the time ;)

woodartist said:
Agreed Wendy..it is a conscious decision

Guess I didn't write what I meant. I do NOT think it's a conscious decision....I think it's just a matter of not realizing that their entertainment isn't what others want to listen to. And I don't seem to have a problem walking over to loud music neighbors and asking them to turn it down a bit if it's bothering me. Never had anyone be rude or unhappy about it either.

Guess I didn't write what I meant.
Do that a lot ;) Well, your lucky Wendy. As I mentioned, the annoying people are the ones I wouldn't want to confront. I don't want to delve into a lot of details but most of the "violators" I have run across usually get arrested. Something about the way their brain works......and the prison population increases ::) Think drugs and alcohol play a large part :eek:

wendycoke said:
I think many don't realize that their noise is not of interest or is irritating to others

That sums it up very well Wendy.

BTW one time we were staying in a CA state park that we stayed in quite often (2-3 weekends a month). The Onan gas generator started backfiring and I (eventually) shut it down until I could figure out the problem. Later that evening, one of the rangers knocked on our door and asked "do you have a generator problem?". When I said "yes", she replied "Thank goodness for that! Someone reported gunfire down here".

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom