Winnebago View

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

royalt

I am thinking hard about purchasing a new Winnebago or Navion 24M. For those of you that may have one I wanted to ask about the generator options. The diesel is an upgrade. However I heard the LP gen sets are cleaner and a little quitter. But being only able to hold 13 gallons of LP is worrisome because we will be doing mostly dry rving at sports events where we will be running the AC for quite some time during the day. We do not want to have to refill the LP tank everyday. For those that have the LP gen sets can you give a description of what type of load you are able to put on yours without burning up the fuel. Also how important is exterior full body paint vs the fiberglass exterior coating.

Thanks for the input.

LP gen sets are not nearly as efficient as diesels and with your boondocking plans, there is no way you want an LP gen set - my buddy had one and he rarely ran it because it used too much of his limited propane.  If you don't go full body paint, then you have gel coat and decals to fade/deteriorate, I'm a believer in paint.

^^Yep, what John said^^.  A buddy of mine has an older Apollo motor home he has restored and is in beautiful condition. He has a propane generator and is constantly on the hunt for propane, and he doesn't dry camp that much.  It's tough to carry enough with you to feed the gen for a long period of time.

As a recent owner of a 2010 View I would recommend you purchase/acquire a V/N with a diesel generator only due to the fact that the feed is the V/N fuel tank....that is the ONLY reason otherwise the LP generator is quieter and not smelly and more trouble free....but if you need to run it continuously because of AC then yes get the diesel...will cost more but....
Good Luck!

Thanks for the responses. I am having a hard time finding a view or navion with both a diesel generator and exterior paint. Can not find one with both options. It seems as if the diesel generator in my case would be more important then the exterior paint.

IslandGuy said:
As a recent owner of a 2010 View I would recommend you purchase/acquire a V/N with a diesel generator only due to the fact that the feed is the V/N fuel tank....that is the ONLY reason otherwise the LP generator is quieter and not smelly and more trouble free....but if you need to run it continuously because of AC then yes get the diesel...will cost more but....
Good Luck!

Is there a significant smell with the diesel generator?  We're close to making our purchase of a V/N but are also conflicted about the diesel vs. propane generator issue...  The thing is I have a huge sensitivity to smells and am concerned about diesel.

Mahippa said:
Is there a significant smell with the diesel generator?  We're close to making our purchase of a V/N but are also conflicted about the diesel vs. propane generator issue...  The thing is I have a huge sensitivity to smells and am concerned about diesel.

I suggest go to the dealership on a low wind or no wind day ( Latter not being a option here in the TX panhandle)  Have them fire up the diesel gen set and see if it bothers you. most likely if you are running the gen you are going to be using the AC so should not be a issue

Mahippa said:

Consider smell a safety feature. When we run our generator, we always park with the generator exhaust being carried downwind, and we can't smell anything. If we do smell the exhaust, then we are in danger, and it's time to take action. I am familiar with a number of deaths via generator exhaust.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom