Ignorant People

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

R1Kirby

Adult ignorance is growing in many campgrounds. More and more adults are cutting through camp sites only because they are to lazy to go around, and in most cases, do not have any respect for their fellow campers. When I pay for a site, I do not pay to have people cutting through all the time. Read the rules people. If you can?t read, learn how to read. Give us all a break??..

It is a pet peeve of mine too. I have used my camping chairs to form a kind of "fence" when I am not outside if I am experiencing that problem. Sometimes I will simply confront the offender if they are persistent with "please don't walk through my site".  The one's that really bug me are the ones that will walk right next to the rig and peer inside.  No common sense at all.........

it's the same as trespassing through your property at home.

rented or owned, it's still your property.

SeilerBird said:
I could care less if someone cuts through my site. It is no big deal, certainly not enough rant and rave about.

Tom,  it happened to me years ago and my kids had stuff stolen right off the picnic table while we had gone for a walk. It wasn't anything of great value but it meant a lot to them. Don't came back with "Well you should have locked up your stuff". The point is, they should have a little respect for fellow campers. If they wanted my site, they should have requested it. I don't hesitate now to ask them politely to please not walk through our site. After one warning, they usually stop. If they don't, it's a trip to the office for me an "that's no big deal"!!!!

A few years ago when we were volunteer camp hosts at a state park in ID, a 15 year old kid ran through a campsite and was bitten on the calf by a dog. The skin wasn't broken but the kid had a bruise. The dog's shots were all current.

The dogs owner was sitting next to the dog which was on a five foot leash. The kids mother had a hissy fit and wanted me to evict the campers with the dog.
I refused and she insisted that I call a ranger. I did and he cited the rules posted and given to campers and told the woman to tell her kid not to run through folks campsites.

I'd rather they did not cut through my site (or my yard at home), but it's not a big thing to me either. Sort of depends on the site and how easy it is to go around. In some campgrounds the roadways are not very convenient paths to the various facilities, so I don't begrudge someone taking a much-needed shortcut if they move through unobtrusively. However, if they walked through my happy hour gathering or otherwise disturbed my own use of the cite, I would likely get livid.  To my way of thinking, it is possible to take a shortcut and still do it in a respectful manner.

When I was a kid everybody in the neighborhood took shortcuts. We didn't walk close to the neighbors house or disturb their goods and well-being, but we had a live-and-let-live mentality. Strangers were another story, of course, but in a campground we become temporary neighbors. Difficult to balance friendliness with privacy in that environment.

I'm not sure I would call them ignorant, inconsiderate might be a better handle.

Most of the time I'm with Tom "I could care less if someone cuts through my site. It is no big deal..."  If they are making noise and being a PITA my attitude changes quickly.

unfortunately todays society does not teach respect, I do not have a problem with people cutting through my site but when they get nosy and touch things that do not belong to them I have a problem. I have found over the years that most people my age or older have respect and common sense the younger generation has neither one, when we are carving we want people to come visit, that his how we keep our business going, the problem arises when children or young adults come later to prowl through our stuff after we have gone in for the night, Ebony does a good job of alerting us, we have had quite a number of small things like carved walking sticks find new homes while we are sleeping.

Once in a while isn't bad.....and I will issue a gentle reminder to kids that it's considered bad manners....but....

If they make a habit out of it, note where they are camped.  Show up with your lawn chair, have a sit, and put your feet up on their picnic table.  Bring your dog if you have one. Crack open a beer, and start reading a magazine.  When they come out and complain, tell them "now you know how I feel when your kids traipse through my campsite 50 times a day".

I agree....respect for others privacy has become a thing of the past.  This is one of the reasons I always request a spot at the end of the campground....the  further you are from the clubhouse, bathrooms, volleyball court etc, the less this will happen. 

Frizlefrak said:
This is one of the reasons I always request a spot at the end of the campground....the  further you are from the clubhouse, bathrooms, volleyball court etc, the less this will happen.
I have to agree with Gary, SeilerBird, and you. 
Like Gary and SeilerBird, it's no biggie.  I've even done it myself a few times.  If the campground is set up like a cornfield maze, and the shortest distance between two points is a straight line, I'll take the straight line.

Like you, Frizlefrak, I request a wooded site, away from all the amenities, and closest to nature.  After all, that's the reason I go camping, to get away from the hussle and bussle of everyday life.  To set up a fire ring, have an evening fire, with my better half, and our dog, maybe a few friends, and some adult beverages.  Most of the time these out lots are larger, and you're not packed in to a can of sardines, with your "neighbors", who complain about being smoked out by your fire ring, or your awning is almost touching the side of their RV.  If I wanted convenience, I'd go camping in a Wal-Mart parking lot, or an urban park, surrounded by stores, restaurants, and high-rises.  I don't live in a HOA gated community, on a zero lot line property, where you can call out to your neighbor through an open window to borrow the Grey Poupon, and they'll pass it out through their open window, to you, through your open window.  If I don't live that way at home, I'm certainly not going to camp that way, in a campground.

One of the first things a Cub Scout learns is to ask permission to enter a camp site. If there is no one to ask, you walk around. Period.
I guess that has stuck with me over the years.
I understand it makes no difference to some people. But it's not my job to discern that.
Granted, there is a difference between stepping foot on the perimeter of someone's "hallowed space", and sauntering between the picnic table and the fire ring. I think encroaching is terribly rude.

I think it is rude, there is no excuse to cut through someone's campsite (period). 

I think that it's rude, not Ignorant. When our 2 small dogs are out (on 6 foot leases) we  are out.  And kids run right by them....well things can happen. Tripping,biting, spill your beer. I would like a little warning.

I believe it's a common practice for  thieves to do a walk through....

I've got a better solution camp where you don't have neighbors.  ;)

Like myself I live in a stick and bricks place with several hundred feet between neighbors why would I got camping to get neighbors that are typically within 20-50 feet from the RV? So I typically find my own boondock site and setup where I don't have neighbor. Problem solved. Like most of the campgrounds/RV parks here are just like apartment living where you can lean out you kitchen window and pass the sugar. Not for me.

Absolutely !  you can camp out in the middle of the Death Valley and the nearest neighbor may be hundreds of miles away.

There's a reason nice places are crowded....They are nice places .

I can see it now...."Come on kids, we're going to Death Valley!"....:)

We had an issue with that last year at our summer seasonal site. We built our own staircase going down from our site to the boat slip landing as many other seasonal have done. A family rented the 2 sites past us for the summer. After having the grandparents, parents and 2 kids walking thru our site several times a day I told them I didn't mind if they used our stairs when we weren't there but asked them not to walk thru our site when we where there because it gets my dogs barking and worked up even if they're inside and hear vioces or see dogs walking past camper, they continued to walk thru several times a day so I put a dog gate in-front of the staircase and they had the nerve to move it and continued to use our stair and walk right next to our camper sometimes bring their dogs thru to. Hated to complain but I ended up having to go to office, they still did it after owner talked to them but not several times a day. What pissed me off the most was the disrespect and fact that they didn't have a boat and had to walk across the landing to other end of campground to get to public fishing area and/or swim area, passing 2 public staircases, there was no reason they needed to go down at our site. I was very happy when my neighbor said he didn't think they were coming back this year, with hubby so sick I wasn't looking forward to dealing with them again. We've always let one couple go thru because their site is on other side of park but their boat is next to ours so it is less work for them carring stuff up and down if they use our stairs, they are quiet to not disturb us and if they see our dogs out they will go down to public stairs.

It is just a reflection of today's society.

Many are not as smart nor well taught as we are.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rubytuesday
Back
Top Bottom