Generators

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Getinaway

OK, what kind of generator do you like and why? I'm gonna start looking for one shortly, and I. Want a quiet one. I've heard some good things about Hondas. Hondas are on the high end price wise though. How big of one should you have to run AC, microwave, lights and pumps?

Quiet or cheap, your choice.  :)

The Yamahas have a good reputation too.  Honda seems to be the hands down favorite on here.  You'll need probably 3000 watts minimum to run an A/C unit.  They pull a lot of juice on start up.

I am a Honda fan. Got the cheap one first and did not last very long. I would suggest using 2 honda 2000 paired for 4000 watt output. You can go with a 3000 which will not be as loud as the 2000 but the weight is an issue when moving it. The 2000 are easy to move around. Also with the 2000 you can run just one when  power is not needed and save gas.  If you want to go cheap Champion makes a 4000 non inverted generator that sells for about 350 bucks but you get what you pay for. Loud and dirty power. Also runs at full blast all the time burning more fuel. Champion makes a 2000 watt invert generator with a pairing kit but once again you get what you pay for. Louder then the Honda and even though it says 2000 watt does not have the same output power numbers as the Honda.

A little story about Honda generators:

I used to work as a field engineer operating well logging equipment for coal exploration.  We always used Honda generators and they NEVER got any service (maybe the oil checked once/month).  I would say we typically ran them six hours/day, five days/week.  They would ALWAYS start on the first pull, but after about two years of this abuse, they would slowly become more difficult to start.  When this happened, we took the generator to the dealer, they rebuilt the engine and off we went again for another couple of years work!

We did notice that we could buy a Briggs & Stratton generator for less than half the cost of the Hondas, so we bought one to try.  It barely lasted three months, was serviced and lasted a few more weeks before we scrapped it!

Sounds like Honda us the way to go. I was looking at Hondas sight, and they are expensive, but I guess it will be worth it.

I have 3 generators that I take with me when needed. One is a 3500W Champion http://www.championpowerequipment.com/generators/46515/. I use it when I want to run the A/C or microwave. I will also take one of my Hondas for charging the batteries and watching TV, etc. I have a Honda EU1000i and a EU2000i. The 1000 is very economical and quiet. The 2000 uses a little less fuel than the Champion and slightly quieter.

DavisK said:
I have 3 generators that I take with me when needed. One is a 3500W Champion http://www.championpowerequipment.com/generators/46515/. I use it when I want to run the A/C or microwave. I will also take one of my Hondas for charging the batteries and watching TV, etc. I have a Honda EU1000i and a EU2000i. The 1000 is very economical and quiet. The 2000 uses a little less fuel than the Champion and slightly quieter.
3500 isn't big enough to do all that? How big do you need to run everything?

I have the Champion 3500/4000 and it runs my A/C and microwave along with other things with no problem

The Champion that he is talking about is the one I referred to in my post. They are cheap at around $300 on sale and do the job. Not sure what they do on gas since I do not own one but I have been around enough of them at the tracks and I can tell you they are no way near as quiet as the Honda. As this type of generator goes they are better on the noise scale then most. The 2000 runs on a eco setting which means it only runs as hard as required. This makes it not as loud when not at load and saves fuel the Champion runs full all the time. It will run a small AC but not 2 AC type unit. The 4000 peak will handle the start up on the AC. I went back and forth between the two but after getting a China generator and having it only last a year I went with the Honda set up. Been running it for 3 years starts in the 1 to 3rd pull every time.

I have a Champion 2000 Inverter that is rated at 53 decibels which is very quite. I paid 499 which is half of what a Honda cost. These can be stacked to give you 4000 start up watts and about 3500 continuous watts. They have an ECON switch that conserves fuel and will give you about 8 hours of run time. They only weigh 48 pounds so it's smarter to buy 2 if you need the power and stack them. Had mine close to a Honda when dry camping and I could not tell the 4 decibel difference. Their plant is in China, but their quality control is outstanding. Just look at the reviews and you will see that it's a much better value than a Honda.

We have a Champion 3500/4000 and for the money, it's a great, dependable, easy to start generator. We only use it for AC when boondocking and once inside with the AC going and a DVD running, we can barely hear it. Outside however it will wake the dead if you are within 50 ft. I would never run it around others.

I wanted to upgrade to the Champion 3100i inverter but at full load it would be only 3 db less than the 3500. So I will watch for a good deal on a pair of cubes this year.

Getinaway said:
3500 isn't big enough to do all that? How big do you need to run everything?
Yes, the Champion can run everything by itself, but if I'm just going to watch TV for instance, I'll just run the EU1000i. It is very quiet and will run for hours on it's half gallon fuel tank.

As a Honda EU2000 owner I'll pipe in here.  We bought ours a decade ago and it's been through the ringer and it seldom complains.  Unfortunately twice I've neglected to drain the carb before storage.  The carb luckily is easy to pull and clean so as of yet it hasn't cost me any $$$$ for my lack of attention.  Currently it has just shy of 2,000 hours on it and is sitting behind the rig just ticking along like a Timex watch.

No matter what you buy I would highly recommend installing an hour meter on it if it doesn't come with one.  Ours gets the oil changed every 100 hours.  The part that amazes me is that with over 1,900 hours on it I just installed the third spark plug at the last oil change.  Honda's are pretty hard to kill.

I run a harbour fright 2200 watt gen.    It will run the ac.  But its fully loaded when running. I plan on replaceing it with a 3000 when I edvencily burn the generator out.  4 years and still going strong.

Generally I like a slow running quiet generator and most of the ones with lawnmower engines on them are what I call screamers. Honda's I consider to be among the best especially the EU2000 for a small one. The Onans are great for a larger generator. The one in our RV is a 7.5 diesel, for the house we have a 10K gas Onan and I just picked up a 5K RV generator that has been in storage for 10 years. All of them run slow at 1800 RPM.
  I've had numerous "construction" generators and although they are great on a job site I would never put one on an RV where I had to sleep or it could bother others. Those are the ones I call "screamers"

Getinaway said:
OK, what kind of generator do you like and why? I'm gonna start looking for one shortly, and I. Want a quiet one. I've heard some good things about Hondas. Hondas are on the high end price wise though. How big of one should you have to run AC, microwave, lights and pumps?
Just ones opinion.... Honda's are very expensive, however you get what you pay for, Honda's are the definite leader in the industry.  We have purchased a Boliy and have been extremely satisfied, just didn't want to put out the big money for the Honda.  Our Boliy has been going strong for 4yrs now, we change the oil religiously, it's used plenty every year.  At half the weight of the Honda, I really love being able to handle the unit by my self.  It does have electric start, which is nice while in the back of the truck without room to pull the cord.  Lot's of options out there though.

I pulled it out last week and it started with the 1st pull.  I have done ZERO maintenance on it this winter and it was last used in October.  It is louder than the Hondas but at $300 it sure beats  $2000 for equal power.  I made a 3 sided plywood box to deaden the sound.  Just don't leave the open end facing any of your neighbors.

To me, it all comes down to how much you will use it.  We boondock less than 10% of the time these days, and when we do, it's just us....so our $239 Pep Boys special works just fine, and I don't think it's all that loud.  Can't justify $2500 for a generator that will get 3 hours of use every year.  If you boondock a lot and the noise bothers you, then it's wise to spend the $$$ for a high quality quiet gennie. 

cpaulsen said:
I have the Champion 3500/4000 and it runs my A/C and microwave along with other things with no problem

That's my set-up and I love it. Can't kill this unit. Ran it once for a couple of weeks following hurricane Sandy. Starts 1st pull everytime still. I think I paid $269.00 for it from Cabelas. Best investment I ever made.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nativoacai
Back
Top Bottom