Generators

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
One of the reasons open frame generators power is so dirty is because they are 240/120v. A scope on my older Champion 3500/4000 showed two jagged peaks. With a 120v only model on the scope, the wave is nice and smooth like a pure sine wave. The microwave runs better, the bricks for the laptop and TV don't get hot, etc.

There are several things... I just had a coffee pot give up the ghost. Seems it did not like my generator,, I have it fixed now so it brews but I lost all the advanced features (like delay brew) which, to be honest, I only used once.  (Bypassed all the electronics, went with a basic ON/OFF switch instead).

Now: My generator is a very nice Onan 5500, very clean.

Many "Contractor" types..  if you view the wave form.. well the word SCARY applies, voltage spikes, noise, and all sorts of "Trash" on the 'scope.  not really good for electronics at all.

Inverter generators and true sine wave inverters... Clean and pure, like a well played flute.

For some reasons, My Mr. Coffee did not like the Prosine either.. But hey,, Works fine now :)  (just no clock/timer).

Lots of info and opinions here.  Excuse me if I missed a post regarding fuel type.

After too many expensive and annoying issues with carbureted small engines including fuel tanks and plumbing caused by ethanol, I selected a generator that runs on either gasoline or propane.  I plan on only running propane but.......

All of my small engines get both the highest octane gasoline available and fuel stabilizer of some type.  In hot rodding we see little if any ethanol in high octane pump gas.

TC

Propane.... I would look at the consumption rate, that's a lot of propane for 24hrs of running time.

Yeah, I noticed; having a hard time finding current posts that meet what I'm looking for. By high altitude, I mean 8000. Thanks for responding.
I would start a new thread title it

Generators or A/C units at high altitude or something like that? There are some guys here at that high high level, sorry im not able to help more - cheers

Back
Top Bottom