04 wrangler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Roy

We purchased a new to us 04 wrangler to flat tow looking at RoadMaster StowMaster Car-Mounted Tow Bar - 6,000 lbs
I have the flat bumper on my jeep I can't tell if it needs a base plate or not  this looks like it will bolt on to bumper .

I have an 06 TJ that uses tow brackets from Blue Ox (now about $85 a set) and works so well I also use them on my Rubicon, but that has a after market bumper.

Ernie

You'll definitely need a base plate for towing the stock approximately 14 gauge stock bumper is insufficient for towing. Go to this site http://roadmasterinc.com/vehicle_guide/tow_bar_brackets.php and type in your vehicle information and it'll give you the proper base plate.

OR, you can do what I am going to do, and purchase an after market bumper that is strong enough to use the Roadmaster bolt on brackets. Many Jeep owners use an aftermarket set up.

I put the Roadmaster brackets on my 2001 Wrangler. Pretty easy bolt-on once two existing star-drive bolts were broken free. An impact driver probably would have knocked them right out but my "Armstrong drive" twisted one star-drive bit off of its socket mount before I relinquished and bought one strong enough for the job. The Roadmaster site has the installation instructions for the particular bracket you need so you can see what is involved before buying anything.

Oscar Mike said:
You'll definitely need a base plate for towing the stock approximately 14 gauge stock bumper is insufficient for towing. Go to this site http://roadmasterinc.com/vehicle_guide/tow_bar_brackets.php and type in your vehicle information and it'll give you the proper base plate.

OR, you can do what I am going to do, and purchase an after market bumper that is strong enough to use the Roadmaster bolt on brackets. Many Jeep owners use an aftermarket set up.

X2...A stock TJ bumper is actually only 16 gauge sheet metal that is formed into a U-shape and not strong enough to safely mount tow brackets to without frame tie ins.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DUSM0518
Back
Top Bottom