rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: front or rear mounted motorcycle carrier?  (Read 3876 times)

jcross312

• ---
front or rear mounted motorcycle carrier?
« on: April 10, 2014, 09:11:10 PM »
Hello everybody! I just installed a tow bar on my accord and im ready to roll. Now my next project is making it possible to also tow a 230 lb motorcycle. I like the idea of a rear mounted cycle carrier with a 2" receiver hitch BEHIND it to make it possible to also tow a car or my jetski. The other option is to install a front mounted cycle carrier. Any advice would be greatly appreciated as im very new to all of this.  This is on a 98 windsport 34' with the 7.5 ford gas engine btw.

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
  • Celebrating 25 years of The RV Forum online.
    • RV Forum web site
Re: front or rear mounted motorcycle carrier?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2014, 04:41:44 AM »
Here's one setup of a motorcycle lift and hitch. However, this was on a diesel chassis, and  required additional bracing/reinforcement.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 04:43:20 AM by Tom »
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

jcross312

• ---
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2014, 07:20:29 AM »
Thanks alot Tom! That answers my question about the possibility of a rear mount with a hitch. Mine doesn't necessarily have to be that heavy duty. My old 98 gas burner may not be capable of carrying motorcycle that big anyway. My bike is only 230 lbs. I may contact the company that makes that lift to see what they have. Ive also considered having a custom carrier fabricated. Thanks again.

Jeff

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2014, 11:06:43 AM »
If you have a 35' or longer coach you probably have a long rear extension. Putting a bike plus the weight of a mount that far back will really affect the weights on the front and rear axles and could lead to handling issues.

jcross312

• ---
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2014, 04:09:59 PM »
Thanks Jeff. And you're right. The rear does look extended. It's a 34' Windsport. My bike is only 230# so I may be able to get away with it and a lightweight carrier for it, I don't know.  I contacted hydralift about their unit, and it is quite a ways out of my price range at $4,500 just for the lift, not including installation.

If the weight on the rear turns out to be a problem (I'll have to research that more) then there's always the possibility of a front mounted carrier I suppose. I will try to get a picture up of my current setup to see if that may help shed any light on the situation. Thanks.

redlabel

• ---
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2014, 10:27:24 AM »
This looks like a great solution for my plans as I am planning to only bring my Gold wing for transportation as I have
a golf club carrier on that and tow a trailer with an ATV for traveling logging roads during hunting season.

It also helped to see on their website that the dealers are motorhome and camper dealers.
People in a hurry . . . shouldn't play golf!

Rene T

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Every day is payday and every payday I have off
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2014, 01:59:16 PM »

If the weight on the rear turns out to be a problem (I'll have to research that more) then there's always the possibility of a front mounted carrier I suppose.

The only concern I would have with mounting it on the front would be if the engine is getting enough air to cool especially when driving in a mountain areas. Others can probably shed some light on that.
Rene, Lucille & co-pilot Buddy
AKA  Pep N Mem
2011 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD 4X4
2011 Montana High Country 343RL
From the Granite State of NH
& Florida Snowbird in Lakeland FL

Jeepinbob

• ---
  • Things do not just happen, they are MADE to happen
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2014, 07:38:18 PM »
I have a Hydralift on the back of my Alpine DP.  My bike is right around 800 lbs, and this method of bringing the bike with is awesome.  It goes on easy, comes off easy.  It take about 20 min. To pit it on, and less that 10 min. to get it off.  The only problem is that every time I go somewhere, I have to wash the bike afterwards before I ride, due to road dust coming up on the bike.

Additionally, there is a receiver on the Hydralift for towing at the same time, up to 500 lbs tongue weight.  I have towed my trailer, with my Jeep on it (without the bike on it), and my Dodge Quadcab as a flat tow (obviously without the trailer on).

However, you will find that the Hydralift is quite costly, to buy, and to install.  It replaces the hitch that is already bolted to your frame.

Remember tho, I have a Diesel Pusher with a 43,000 lb capacity.  It might have different effect on your unit. 

Good luck, and ride safe, Bob
2004 Alpine FTDS 40, AKA The Silver Bullet
2004 Harley Road King Classic on Hydralift
2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4x4 (toad)

driftless shifter

• ---
  • A Luddite with a stupid phone
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2014, 08:24:28 AM »
If you are flat towing the car there is no tongue weight on the hitch. The tongue weight of a jetski is, what, maybe 30#? The hitch can bear the weight of it's tongue weight capacity. Go see a local welder, you'd be surprised what a hungry man can build you for a reasonable price. I have ideas in my head on how I'd build my own, either a ramp, or electric hoist.

As far as weight being so far aft of the rear axle? Tongue and towing weight capacities have already been calculated, it's up to the operator to have them distributed across all axles properly. Carry less water, shift heavy items, forward and aft, as needed. If you normaly travel under weight, you might have a better ride!

If this barely made sense study the "libray" articles on weights. There's a toolbar, at the top of the page, with the link. "Resources" is full of info also.

Bill
Bill & Nan
(o\_!_/o)
93 bounder 34, chevy chassis
couple of aircooled vw's, 1 fast(sold), 1 reliable(sold).  Dubless : (
USN '76-'80, 1 boat, USS Blandy, DD 943.
I'm an analog guy in a digital age.

jcross312

• ---
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2014, 08:43:54 PM »
Thanks for all replies. Im thinkin along the same lines as Bill. I believe I can have a cycle carrier built for what I need relatively cheap. I just met a welder who needs a little extra money. I dont need any kind of lift, I can easily push my lighweight cycle up a ramp. I just need it to have a 2" reciever on the rear of it so I can put a ball behind it.

I may eventually also put a front mounted one on also. I actually have 2 small motorcycles. A dirtbike and a 50cc scooter. That should balance the weight out! Lol