Blood Moon Eclipse starts tonight (14th)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bob Buchanan

The Blood Moon lunar eclipse begins tonight and extends into the AM on the 15th! If not familiar with this event just Google Blood Moon and find tons of info. Here is a site that will let you know when it begins in your area. I copied the URL after searching for Sacramento.

The earth will be between the sun and moon - so you will be able to photograph the moon during the eclipse. But it won't be lit by the sun - and will turn red, so a tripod will be a must as your shutter speed will be slower than hand held will allow. Most DSLRs can display the shot via the LCD as I have mine set. I did some test shots last night to see the path this full moon is taking. A full moon rises when the sun sets and sets when sun rises.

http://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/in/usa/sacramento

If you get a good shot post it here for us to see . . .  :)

Attachments

• BloodMoonSetupS_1397.JPG
    BloodMoonSetupS_1397.JPG
    40.2 KB · Views: 38
I wont be able to see it, it will be cloudy, rainy here in east tn. take some good pics

I have had tonight circled on my calendar for months. I will be up at 3 am with my tripod. It looks like the sky might be clear here tonight. If I nail it I will post it.

For the benefit of folks under cloudy skies....here is is a substitute so you won't feel left out.

Click here >>>  http://tinyurl.com/pay44e2

A big red spot in the skies. Looking forward to seeing shots from forum members.

In case anyone is in the dark about what we are excited about here is a shot I took of the last blood moon in 2010 in Fort Myers Florida.

Attachments

• Eclipse 3.jpg
    Eclipse 3.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 37
Here in Minnesota it looks like it might be a great photo opportunity of a celestial event however it's now 28 degrees F outside and the eclipse peaks somewhere between 2 AM and 3 AM depending on the source of information.  Hmmm.  I'll charge my camera battery just in case. 

It is 1 am here in central Florida and the moon is bright and shiny outside my window. It will be red between 3 and 4 am and I couldn't fall asleep if I had to, so I will be out photographing it soon. It is currently 75 degrees outside. ;D ;D ;D And the sky looks relatively clear. ;D

In our area of Minnesota we now have scattered clouds.  Bob, this is all your fault (I like to place blame). I don't know whether I should go to bed or stay awake and hope to catch an image.

Eric - You can watch it live online:

http://www.latimes.com/science/sciencenow/la-sci-sn-lunar-eclipse-watch-live-20140411,0,5943035.story

Tom, It's mostly cloudy here in the Twin Cities.  Most would consider the weather to be brisk but I think it's beautiful outside. (I'm a native Minnesotan with hardy Scandinavian roots.)  It's doubtful there will be a good photo op in Minnesota so images of the blood moon rest on your shoulders.  BTW...  this is a girl named "Max" with a husband named Eric.  Good night and I look forward to your images of the blood moon.

It's just past 11:30 here in NCal -- and the eclipse has taken over a bit more than 1/2 the moon for now. It's about 55 degrees outside and though some scattered clouds - when this puppy turns red, I should get a few good ones.

Gotta run!

I love it . . .  :)

MN Blue Skies said:
Tom, It's mostly cloudy here in the Twin Cities.  Most would consider the weather to be brisk but I think it's beautiful outside. (I'm a native Minnesotan with hardy Scandinavian roots.)  It's doubtful there will be a good photo op in Minnesota so images of the blood moon rest on your shoulders.  BTW...  this is a girl named "Max" with a husband named Eric.  Good night and I look forward to your images of the blood moon.
I am sorry Max. Did you ever live in California? I knew a girl named Max back in the 70s and she was hot.

Clear skies here in central Florida and the moon is putting on a hell of a show. Mars is close by and brighter than the moon. Here is my miserable attempt. I wish I still had my 200-500.

Attachments

• The moon.jpg
    The moon.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 49
I don't think we got a total eclipse in Mn.  This was taken at 2:50 am ant it was 18 degrees out.

Attachments

• 108 (Copy).JPG
    108 (Copy).JPG
    30.3 KB · Views: 43
Seilerbird yours didn't come out so good, kjansen yours looks good. Any body else take some I was asleep listening to the rain last night, I will have to live vicariously through you guys that got to see it.

Got here to Yellowstone and Old Faithful in the afternoon, had the alarm set to be out in the basin because Old Faithful always goes off at the peak of an eclipse, but we were clouded over, so I went back to bed.  Jolene got up a little later and went outside (not 75, about 15), and the clouds parted slightly, so she saw a little of it, and the wolves started howling.  She let me sleep. 

Well, that sure was sure a fascinating event. Intriguing how the eclipse slowly happened - then began turning red in color. Was jumping around with many different settings so it was nice that this event lasts long enough to do that. My problem was that a thin cloud layer was filtering my line of sight.

Fortunately, there is another one of these in October so armed with what I learned on this one - should get what I would want a lot quicker.

Anyway, here is one of my Blood Moons . . .

Attachments

• BMoon(3)s2096.JPG
    BMoon(3)s2096.JPG
    39.8 KB · Views: 37
Well done everyone with the pictures!
I've elected to not stand outside in the middle of the night amidst the freezing temperatures with my small inexpensive point-and-shoot. It would be a terrible blur.
So as not to feel left out of the participation, I've included a picture from my recent eye exam.
If you look closely, you can see Mons Huygens.........  ;D ;D ;D

Attachments

• optnrv.png
    optnrv.png
    63.1 KB · Views: 28
Hi Tom Seilerbird and  Binary Bob,

Thanks Tom for directing me over here. I'll post my best shot here. Binary Bob, are you sure you weren't listening to redeye radio last night?  ;D

Tom you have some great shots of the eclipse. Congratulations on those! I had cold, cloudy with sucker holes that I had to shoot through.

I messed up on my shots. Thought I had put the camera in a higher res mode. Instead I only was on the lowest. Wouldn't' have come out so grainy otherwise. I used a 400 mm F/2.8 Tamron Lens. It was what I use to use on my Nikon. Found an adapter for my Canon Rebel. Doesn't make much difference when doing astronomy as most of the time you just leave the shutter open. I was too lazy to get my refractor out which would have taken better shots even at low res. Nice to see everyones photos of the eclipse.

Attachments

• IMG_7365.JPG
    IMG_7365.JPG
    40.7 KB · Views: 36

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom