Making acquaintances on the road

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RogerE

We are relatively new to full-timing (since the first of this year) and one of the things that we are having some frustration with is feeling disconnected from other people.  We have made efforts at each of the locations where we have stayed for more than a couple of days to connect with folks who want to socialize, go out to lunch or dinner, etc.  For the most part we have been unsuccessful.  As an example, we teach beginning ballroom dancing.  We have twice volunteered to conduct classes at resorts where we were staying for two weeks or longer (both of which were motorcoach resorts with plenty of long term occupants), and had zero interest in both places - not even one couple came out in either place.  We have invited people to go out to dinner and have been told "We don't go out much" or "I go to bed at 7:30PM".

We are interested in knowing about the perspective and experience of others who have been full-timing for a longer period of time.  Have you experienced the same frustrations?  Have you made connections that have turned into friendships?  Do you have any advice for connecting with folks while you are on the move?  Do most people tend to keep to themselves?  Are we unrealistic in thinking that we will connect with others for short periods of time while traveling? 

Do you ever travel with others?  We would love to find some like minded and compatible folks to travel with.

Any and all feedback is welcome and would be appreciated. 

herekittykitty said:
Consider joining RVillage.com

Please tell us more.  Their website does not offer very much in terms of explanation.

We have made many friends in our travels. I love to get out and speak with people and never seem to have a problem making friends. We belong to Good Sam also and like to go to the rallys.

RogerE said:
Please tell us more.  Their website does not offer very much in terms of explanation.

Started by Technomadia and a few other people. If you full-time or part-time a lot, if you sign into the website with your location every time you move, you can see who of your friends are close to you--maybe in the same park. And if there's someone in the park you don't know, but they are members of RVillage, then contact and introductions are easy.

This was our first year to snowbird. Have not taken the full time jump and not likely too. I can tell you we experienced some of the same issues since we went to Florida with no plan and floated around the state. When you are not staying somewhere for along time it is harder to get in with the in crowd. We did have good luck at 2 of the parks we stayed at. I wish I could tell you how but I think it is just the park and the folks there and how friendly they are. The 7:30 thing is very true we ran into that as well. We like to sit out by a fire till late in the night and the over 55 parks turn out the lights at 7 then up at 5. The big thing is to join the activities and get yourself out there. The problem we had was they start it all at 8 in the morning. My wife is NOT a morning person. Long story short there is an Rv park out there you will run into that has the people interested in what you are and you will just slide right in. We did and will be going there only next year.
PS: We did make some friends from Canada and are heading for a visit there in Sept of this year. 

MN Blue Skies said:
Hello RogerE,

We are your from and where are you headed?

This year we will be staying close to the Midwest.

We sold our home in Florida and headed out west for the balance of this winter.  Spent some time in Arizona where we used to live.  We are currently in Las Vegas - no definite plans from here yet.

Roger! There are many groups in the RVillage.com. Such a variety of choices in interests and activities to choose from. I am a member as the people in the park I am at stay in their own "little world". I have met a few; and it is very difficult for doing any activities or outings with them. Of about 160 occupied space; maybe 2 are close and 10 are cordial enough to converse with.

I have picked this as my temporary spot for taking care of my health related maladies. Have two great VA medical centers and i'm close to everything I need. I also can be found on the RV Dreamns Forum as "PIEERE".

After 5years of full timing I found that park model people dont like RVers at a resort. Try to park with other Rvers and you will lots of acquaintances.

Roger,

Come to some of our RV Forum rallies or join one of the organizations like Family Motor Coach Association, Good Sam, or Escapees.  Not only do they have rallies but their rally seminars are great.  Sometimes they also have vendors who do maintenance.  It's a very good way to meet other RVers.  Also, they have chapters some of which are geographically (such as California) oriented, manufacturer oriented (such as Monaco), or by subject (such as music) which sometimes are called Birds of Feather chapters.  These organizations are a great way to meet like-minded people who enjoy similar interests.

ArdraF

The isolation of becoming a single full timer traveling was one of my big concerns. We have a summer Seasonal park model and like many have said there are very few (4-5) we hang out and do stuff with and two of those are families that are also long time friends from our home town who just come up to lake on weekends. Most at our campground our seasonals and most are short chat once in awhile types or they are there to get away and spend family time so they don't want to socialize with other campers. We are at the end of our camp ground with 2 joined open spots past us, most years they are just rented on weekends or holiday's by big families. I enjoy meeting them but some want to socialize and other don't.  I enjoy traveling, nature, good BBq, pot luck get togethers, sitting around campfire chatting, listening to oldies, classic rock or country (not to loud to be heard by other campers), fishing, hiking/exploring, swimming, horseshoes, beanbags, ladder ball, playing cards, dice & board games. It's nice to find out about RVillage and being able to log on and find others who share your interests & might want to hang out once and a while :)

Hi Roger

I am so happy to see this post from a man.  I know it might be sexist but,  I didn't think that many men think about this.  My DH is very friendly & so am I.  He'll strike up conversations with people.  But I'm the one that wants to find people to hang out with.  Do as you said,  dinners,  go places with. 

Everyone is friendly in most campgrounds.  But as you said,  they don't seem to want to strike a friendship.  We did come across some people that talked to us & we wound up going to breakfast with them.  Also in one place,  we spent afternoons talking between our sites.  That is few & far between though. 

Anyway,  you should try rvillage .  I did find some people in the campground I was staying.  One was a workkamper so didn't have time except maybe at night.  The other was leaving the next day.

Maybe we'll meet you down the road

Jane & Cliff

Both my husband and I love to meet new "friends" as we travel.  Usually, as we are walking our dogs, we stop to chat with anyone we meet, at least offering a "Good Morning ... How are you today?"  After a couple of trips around the campground, we usually find someone that is like minded and we get to know them better.  We have joined with others for happy hours or just a sit around the campfire and often then get together to explore the area, go biking, hiking and sometimes out to lunch or dinner.  We  have formed several lasting friendships with people we have met along the way.

One thing that we have found is that many of the RESIDENTS of RV Resorts do not seem to be looking for new friendships with those making short stays.  We have met many residents in the resorts that are polite and friendly but they are usually not that interested in sightseeing or the other activities that we enjoy.  After all .... it's their "neighborhood" and we are transients.

We have joined RVillage and will be posting our whereabouts once we get back on the road next month.  Maybe our paths will cross someday.

Safe travels and good luck meeting new friends.

I signed up for Rvillage this morning and made two connections almost immediately at the resort where we are currently staying!  One couple is just a few sites away, and we found them literally five minutes after I realized they were in the same park.  The other couple left a note that they will be back later in the evening and left their site number so we could stop by.  i could not be more pleased regarding the suggestions about Rvillage.

Back
Top Bottom