A big glitch today.... TROV!.com

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carson

Seems like my computer was hi-jacked today.  Homepage now shows TROVI on both IE and Firefox.

I probably downloaded some strange program by mistake (of some security type).

Am using FF 99% of the time. This post on IE.

Using XP and FF is version 28.0.

Did some research on why but ran out of steam to  pursue it with my capability.
Anyone able to give me a few hints ? or cures ?
I have malwarebytes, CCCleaner and AVG.  Can;t find it on search or add/remove.

Take your time to think it thru.. I am done for the evening.

Any help will be super appreciated.

carson FL 77?

Ned, sorry to bother you again. Have read a lot of the discussions re TROVI removal.

Needless to say I am a bit bewildered. Have found a work-around to at least get most of it working as usual. TROVI is still there on various search engines.

If you can look at this link >>>  http://www.fixyourbrowser.com/removal-instructions/remove-trovi-com-homepage-uninstallremoval-instruction/

Give me an opinion of this site, at your convenience, please.

Have lost my most favored  add-on in FF  "the Fast Dial" function. It is still in memory but ROVI prevents me from accessing in screen format.

Whenever you have time.  Thank you.

That's almost exactly the same removal process that the site I referred you to recommends.  Did you follow the instructions there?

There is rarely a simple way to remove malware like this.  I have spent up to an hour removing similar junk (Conduit).

Thanks, Ned. Yes, I have read your post but have not digested it yet. Actually it scared the heck out of me. Surely don't want to alter things I should not have.

I also read several other suggestion but have not tried any yet, have a lot of time constraints here at the moment.

I did one thing, made my command to Blank Page.That at least gave me a clean search page.  Homepage at Search Conduit.

I am not out of business...just sad that I have to go thru the mess.
  I.ll need of few days to sort it out.

Sure wish someone had step by step instructions of a true and tested procedure.

BTW, it also destroyed my CCCleaner. I did download it again and it came back like new.

Edited...underlined
carson

I got that  one the other night, I was tired,but wanted to down load a program. I clicked on the link and a new page came up. Just thought that they had a new web page. As I said I was tired, sleepy and in a hurry. As soon as I clicked on the link,I knew I screwed up. The Anti virus program blocked a Trojan, but It allowed unwanted programs. I ran Malwarebytes , and had to manually change the home page. No problems so far.

Carson, the web site I gave you has step by step instructions.  They may be a bit long, but easy enough to follow if you are careful.  If you don't want to tackle it, then get the 12 year old down the street to do it for you :)

Good idea, Ned, Although I am only 23 (away from 100), guess that will make a big difference.

The teenager, all of them are roughly my age as well.  lol

I will keep plugging away as time permits.

A little side issue, while we are on the Trovi problem.

On the same day this happened, another oddity showed up.

A small Google search box showed up on the desktop..bottom right of the screen. (It's called "Desktop Search"

Don't know if there is any relationship between the 2.  What a pain, the way it works, want to get rid of that as well.Not important at the moment.

carson said:
A small Google search box showed up on the desktop..bottom right of the screen. (It's called "Desktop Search"
Don't know if there is any relationship between the 2.  What a pain, the way it works, want to get rid of that as well.Not important at the moment.

Right click on the task bar and point the mouse at Toolbars.  It probably can be turned off there.  It was very likely installed at the same time as the TROVI malware.  Also, check Uninstall Programs and it perhaps can be uninstalled from there.

I was a little hasty in my evaluation.

It turns out it only searches your own computer, which is not a bad idea.
  It acts like a normal Icon on the desktop and you can drag it to an empty spot. At least there it won't interfere with the clock display on the lower right.  Gosh....

Now I find out that if you do that it appears on any page one views.  Still investigating.

Any one else have that monstrosity ?

AAH, another discovery. re Desktop Search.

With the desk search box present the right hand side of the screen is divided by a thin black vertical line. If you right-click in that area a menu will come up.  I didn't check all the options but the last option is CLOSE.  Bingo it is gone.

Many entries on the web on how to get rid of it.... all complicated. Gee.

You didn't get rid of it, only turned it off.  It will probably come back with the next reboot.

Re: Desktop Search.

Wishful thinking, Ned .  I just performed a Restart Boot and it did not come back.
  Then I did a Cold Reboot and it did not come back.

Maybe if the computer sleeps for 12 hours it will. What are the odds.

FWIW.... the TROVI is still there. Golly.

I'll bet it's still installed, just not turned on.  And it may be using the CPU in the background indexing your hard drive.

I cannot argue with that, Ned. For me it is "Out of sight...out of mind".

There is so much going on in the system that I don't have control over or want to worry about.
I just hate stuff changing without my option to option out. Oh well...

Thanks, Ned.

Good morning, All.  My lucky day. TROVI is gone and my system is back to normal.

Simple procedure once I got the proper titles in ADD/REMOVE.
  The secret words are "Search Protect" and "Search Assist".  removed both.

See the info here >>>  http://www.pcrisk.com/removal-guides/7518-trovi-redirect

Phew !

Back
Top Bottom