Russ Mahoney

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tim and I are so sorry to hear of Russ's passing.  It's a great loss to the community.  He was a unique man and will be deeply missed. 

This has been a hard month for us, we also lost 2 other friends.  Just makes you realize that every day is special and to enjoy every minute.

Marsha~

He leaves such a huge hole in so many RV Forum hearts.  This Mahoney Wife will especially miss all the breakfasts we shared in various parts of the country.

While we worked six summers in Des Moines, I was treated at Iowa Methodist Hospital, where Russ practiced, for a serious illness by many doctors to which Dr. Russ Mahoney referred me.  They all treated us as if we were Russell's family.  To a man (and lady) they showed their huge respect for his talent and intellect.  One doctor told me Russ would sit in a medical meeting listening to a problem being discussed while doodling with a set of colored pencils, seemingly not paying attention.  After listening to all sides, he would inevitably come up with a one sentence solution to effectively solve the problem.  They were astounded by all the various retirement hobbies he actively pursued despite his long-term health problems.

Not the news I wanted to hear this morning. We will all miss him so much, although he will be in our hearts forever. I can still picture his little grin and the twinkle in his eye. Goodbye dear friend.

Definitely not the news we wanted to hear.  We will miss him greatly.  Pat often remembers the phone call we got in the middle of the night from Russ while he was in Alaska.  He just had to tell us something that couldn't wait.  That and the stops he made here in MT on his trips through on his way to somewhere will also be greatly missed.  RIP, Good Friend.

We had spent the last few months at Happy Trails and had just met Russ and was just starting to get to know him. We were with a group that had breakfast with him last Sunday. We left on Tuesday to head back to Iowa and was shocked to hear the news.

Here he is with friends at QZ.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 85
Wendy said:
The infamous hat contest :)

Makes me  recall that  laughter is the best medicine.  Russ participated with  good sportsmanship in most RVForum events.  But we could never get him to attend any Follies events. 

Betty Brewer said:
Makes me  recall that  laughter is the best medicine.  Russ participated with  good sportsmanship in most RVForum events.  But we could never get him to attend any Follies events.

One of the many ways he demonstrated his way-above-average intelligence. ;D

Spent some time with Russ this past New Year at Catalina, he will be missed by all. Sorry to hear about Russ this Easter Morning.  Margaret &  Henry

Jeff said:
One of the many ways he demonstrated his way-above-average intelligence.

Yeah, right!

Attachments

• 317.JPG
    317.JPG
    136.2 KB · Views: 66
  • Show26.JPG
    Show26.JPG
    222.9 KB · Views: 60
I had breakfast with Russ on Thursday and he was doing great.  Really sad that he was gone on Friday.

Yes, Russ will be missed greatly.  The last time we went through Des Moines he showed us all around his home town and we had a most enjoyable time.  He was a great host and loved a good party.  My first memory of Russ is the first Centermost when he shared all those wonderful slides of his dives at Bonaire.  They were so beautiful!  And he continued to share his photographs right through our last New Year's Eve (Dec. 31, 2013) at Catalina when he had a slide show running in the background.  And then there was the time at Moab when only he and Donna/"Sam" Ruward were brave enough to drive down the "steps" at Gemini Bridges.  I'll never forget hearing him yell "Yee haw" as he went down.  How he loved that new Jeep!  In the last few years, he graciously suffered through the chiding and worrying by all his "wives" and I'm pleased to count myself among them.  The first photo is from our 2003 caravan to Moab with Ruwards, Darrigos, and FitzGeralds and the second is the infamous hat contest at Quartzsite.

Rest in peace, old friend.

ArdraF and JerryF

Attachments

• Russ & friends 2003 (Medium).JPG
    Russ & friends 2003 (Medium).JPG
    223.8 KB · Views: 43
  • Russ in the hat contest 2007 (Medium).JPG
    Russ in the hat contest 2007 (Medium).JPG
    199.1 KB · Views: 38
We were lucky enough to meet and rally with Russ a few times, certainly not like many of the Framily, but still a number of times.  Always felt he was initially glad to meet us and then so glad to see us again. 

Russ will certainly be missed.  With all his 'wives', will his obit read that he is survived by his numerous wives?  Then start naming you all? 

He will be greatly missed.  There will always be an empty spot in our hearts and around the campfire at Quartzsite. 

Here are a couple of images of Russ.  I believe from 2006 and 2008.

Attachments

• Framily 106 (Medium).jpg
    Framily 106 (Medium).jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 27
  • Russ Mahoney (Medium).jpg
    Russ Mahoney (Medium).jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 28
PancakeBill said:
We were lucky enough to meet and rally with Russ a few times, certainly not like many of the Framily, but still a number of times.  Always felt he was initially glad to meet us and then so glad to see us again. 

Russ will certainly be missed.  With all his 'wives', will his obit read that he is survived by his numerous wives?  Then start naming you all?

Of course not!  Russ has many "real" loving relatives, some of which many of us have met.  They are grieving along with us as are his medical family and close friends in Iowa.

The Mahoney Wives will remember him with good humor forever.  (Remember. "wives", when we bailed him out in the parking lot of some store or other when he forgot his wallet?)  The Mahoney Wives posts were a way of telling Russ how much we loved him and were concerned for his health when he "pedaled to the metal" to fly across the country on his many adventures.

Jeff said:
Happy Trails will not be the same without Russ. We gathered on the street as the news spread yesterday.

So long old friend.

We send our best.

Gary and Coleen.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom