What is this called and where can I get a new one?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

infoimp

As you can see, this thing is totally UV-rotted and I desperately need to replace it.  Can you tell me what it's called and where I might look to find a new one?  Thanks so much in advance.

NOTE:  I already have the molding ready to replace when I get a new one of whatever this is.  :)

Attachments

• w1.jpg
    w1.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 292
  • w2.jpg
    w2.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 279
I think you are talking about he channel extrusion in the pictures. That looks like something a previous owner with marginal remodeling skills may have added. Take a look at http://www.yellowdogextrusion.com/extmold05.htm and see if they have what you want. I assume from your post that you are looking to replace the old extrusion with new (and hopefully miter the corners). I don't know if this company has an extrusion that will fit your molding, but it might be worth checking out.

I think she is talking about the whole clearance light box. My only help on that would be to either remove it and take it to a body shop to repair it or take the whole rig...

I see two things needing attention... and one that does not.

The light box: A good body shop can either restore the original or fabicate a new one.. Alas, there are a lot of "Body shops" out there now that are nothing of the sort.. Look for one with some experience, like 50 years or so. back when body men did body work (Today they just bolt on new fenders)

The other is the channel insert..  This is a plastic or rubber like strip. and you can get it at many places.. INCLUDING but not limited to Camping World,, Many RV dealers.. Many Lumber yards and hardware stores.

Check out this page: RV Surplus dot Com for the insert.

The channel itself is metal and should be good.. but the same store will have it if you need it. Or rather the same laundry list of stores.

Thank you all so much!!  Yes I was talking about the light box.  I was hoping there was going to be a DIY option...

The molding/track work is shoddy to say the least.  I've notice that these days, they mount the lights in the body panel, whether it's flush mount in the fiberglass panel, or in the fiberglass cap.  It looks so much better...

But alas, I don't know what's back there...it probably looks worse!!  :(

So body shop it is...and thanks again...

I'll bet you find the light box is purely decorative - once you remove the screws in the middle of the the channel extrusion surrounding the box you'll find they're also holding the light box in place.

If it was me, I'd just replace the box with a flat surface.  You may need room to run the wires to the lights - they probably just come out of a single hole now, so maybe build a flat box that stands off a half inch or so from the rear wall and surface mount clearance lights to it.

Thanks so much for that, Lou.  I'm an avid DIYer and the thought of having to have one made at a body shop was irking my butt!  I think I could make one out of wood that would work and I could either paint it or have it Rhino'd.  What about that?

I agree that the channel is probably just to hold the box on.  I'd really like to get rid of that too, if I can...

infoimp said:
Thanks so much for that, Lou.  I'm an avid DIYer and the thought of having to have one made at a body shop was irking my butt!  I think I could make one out of wood that would work and I could either paint it or have it Rhino'd.  What about that?

I agree that the channel is probably just to hold the box on.  I'd really like to get rid of that too, if I can...
I'd just remove the light box and see what's there.  It may well be a flat finished surface you could make openings in to mount lights and run wires behind.  If the surface is bad, get a piece of Filon (common exterior material for RVs).  Worst case then, you could dress up the light box and put it back.  I wouldn't recommend making a mount out of wood.  It would become an annual job of refinishing.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom