Advertisement's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tin man

The Forum is really starting to get cluttered with adds.  I find it quite annoying when my fat fingers accidentally touch one of the adds and it lights up.......

I know it cost money yo run the forum but enough is enough......

You have now two pages of adds...

Jim

[quote author=Tin man]You have now two pages of adds.[/quote]

Two pages?  Depending on screen size/resolution, we have 2-3 lines of ads at the top of our message boards; A total of 6 ads, a couple of which are about to expire. What are you viewing/reading the forum on?

I only get the ads at the top of the page- this site seems to have less ads then most. the ads I get I have to click on to get them to pop up unlike other sites that if the pointer touches them they pop up. you might have an "add on" enabled that is causing this.

I usually do not respond to someone complaining about ads.  However, when comparing the benefits of this "Free" website to the minor inconvience of having a header with links to supporters, I have to say that is is a terrific value.  I have not donated any money in support of this Forum but I certainly should and will.

The fact that you have posted 1121 times must surley indicate that you really do value the information and exchange of ideas represented here.

I am not trying to pick a fight or disrespect your opinion, but maybe you had a minor brain fade when you posted the complaint about ads.  :)

If you don't like the ads on this site you are going to really hate the Internet when you finally get out there. Ads are everywhere. What is wrong with these people, don't they realize I am entitled to everything in life for free? ::) And what ever you do, don't turn on your TV, it is a vast wasteland of ads.

I'm browsing on an old Nintendo Wii, thats why most of my posts seem short or stilted. Hard to type with a wand, let alone edit. My Wii can't handle sites with a bunch of add activity it just freezes. I see 6 banner adds at the top of the page and thats all. This site is easy-peasy for me too navigate with the exception of opening links to PDF's or photo bucket type accounts.
My wifes Mac laptop gives me fits though. the mouse pad will click a link by touching either the pad or bar. Change your finger position on the pad and you open a link if the cursor is on a clickie. I have to use the desktop for research.

Bill

This site is a heck of a deal! I'm pretty sure Tom is not getting rich and that he is spending a lot of his valuable time providing us a service. You just reminded me that I am overdue to donate again.

Ernie

No commercial ads please!
? on: June 14, 2005, 01:51:16 PM ?
At the present time, there are no intrusive or distracting ads in our forum messages. I and, I suspect, most other forum members would like to keep it that way. The lack of ads also means that the forum is faster to use for folks on slow connections.

When you registered for an account on the forum you were asked to accept a set of conditions before the forum software would allow you to register. This agreement includes the following:

Spam, flooding, advertisements, chain letters, pyramid schemes, and solicitations are also forbidden on this forum.

If you have a need for commercial advertising, please contact me directly and we can arrange something on our web site.

Note that we cannot respond to a spam blocking service that requires us to click a link before you can read our email. If you use one of these services, you'll need to change the settings to allow emails from our domain. to send me an email.) Meanwhile, please, no commercial ads or solicitations in forum messages.

Thanks for your cooperation.

Tom

The comment was in no way a dispariging remark, or intended to be such, but as you can see times have changed.  It is because of touch screens, that the adds have become annoying.  The Winnebago add is on page two of comments.  The list is becoming long and in MY OPINION and my opinion only annoying.

I could not have said it any better than you did in 2005.

Jim

Everything in that message you quoted is still true.  There are "no intrusive or distracting ads in our forum messages", the only ads are on the page header, never in a message.  And those few ads are certainly not intrusive or distracting.  I read the forum on a table frequently and have never found the ads to be a problem in any way, even with a touch screen.

If you want intrusive and distracting, look at those forums that embed ads in between messages and allow animated GIFs, then you'll have a real complaint.

Like Ned, I read the forum multiple times a day on a touch-screen tablet, and don't find the few banner ads to be an issue. I rarely attempt to read the forum on a smart phone but, if/when I do, I prefer to use one of the text-only views we offer.

Just an FYI, a couple of quotes from our boilerplate reply when someone asks to place a sponsorship ad:

Preferring not to impose large numbers of ads on our members, we consciously limit the number of
sponsored ads on our forum...

Images must meet the standards of acceptability of The RV forum. We also request that the file sizes of images be kept to a reasonable size to prevent issues for RV Forum members who are traveling and on limited bandwidth connections. Banner images appearing in our message boards must be static images (non-animated), whereas images in our forum library may be animated.

as you can see times have changed

The biggest change has been the resources required to host/operate the forum. We've continually added/improved resources in order to provide our members with a functional & informative forum.

Tom

Thank you for the comeback..I fully understand the expenses and the logistics of running this Forum ( well not totally).  I hope this discussion will make the people who use this Forum dig into there pockets to keep this Forum add free.  You have to admit the top of the page does look like a billboard.

"you get what you pay for". 

wow all this over 6 ads that are very easy to navigate around (and they apply to RV's) and they respect bandwidth limitations- this is the best deal in town. web hosting, keeping the forum current all this adds up- I hope the guys who own the forum are making money on it.

I for one have no issues with the add's in this forum . In my opinion this forum is the best RV Forum on the internet and by far one of the best run .
My suggestion to the owners of this forum , besides keeping the add's at the top which are no problem is to add one more category to the list line of Home , search  , resources etc . (( advertisement's  )) to create income for running this forum  . There could be placed a number of add's related to RV products that the owner of the forum has tested and has acquired to make a profit  .

Bill

Ya know, until someone mentioned it, I never noticed the ads on here.  I've become so desensitized to ads on every inch of the internet that unless someone points them out, my mind just filters them out.

As forums go, the ads here are very, very sparse.....

Five (5) lines, seven (7) ads.  Oh forgot the ad on  the Winnebago page, Eight (8) ads.

Just a observation.....

Those ads help pay for this site to operate.  If you've made regular contributions using the Donate button, then go ahead and block them.  Otherwise, do everyone the courtesy of at least looking at them once in awhile.  They may actually be of interest and save you some money.

I do not mind the advertisements, in fact I understand the need to generate a little income. And this thread has reminded me that I need to make another donation. I enjoy this forum and while I don't feel obligated to donate, I do think it is a good investment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom