Dogs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

redbarber

I'm a dog lover.  I've almost never been without at least one dog, and I've had as many as 15 at one time.  (Okay is was mother, father and 13 pups, but still...).  Currently I have a 16 pound terrier mix named Scruffy.  He goes EVERYWHERE with us, even riding in a special carrier on the back of my DW's three wheeler when we ride bikes.  Naturally he goes with us camping.
Nearly every camping facility I've ever stayed in over the past 40 years has had the same policy regarding dogs.  That is, dogs must be kept on a leash or in a pen or cage at ALL times while in the campground.  I don't think I've ever seen it any other way.  That's fine with me, I have a 30 foot "trolley" that I put out between my trailer and a nearby tree, to give Scruffy plenty of room to stretch his legs.    Even then, I don't just leave him out all the time, but he gets put on the leash a few times every day, sometimes when we are not outside with him.
Last weekend, we were staying at a campground on Lake Lanier here in Georgia.  A new neighbor pulled in above us in a Class A MH.  The next thing I know there are two BULL MASTIFFS wandering around sniffing my campsite.  Luckily my mutt was inside at the time!  I asked the owner to please observe the leash rules, and he blew me off.  He said that his dogs were friendly, harmless and never left his immediate area. 
Before I even recovered my composure, another neighbor pulled a 5er in just below my site.  Within 30 minutes, a huge Boxer (I'd estimate well over 120 lbs), was walking around that site with no leash or control whatever.  Honestly, I was afraid for my little dogs safety.  Scruffy doesn't realize he's little, and would bark his head off if he saw these other dogs. With him restrained on a leash, and the other dogs free to roam, he'd be a sitting duck!  I spoke to the boxer's owner, and got the same kind of response I got from the Mastiffs owner. 
I spoke with the campground staff, but the best I can tell, nothing became of it. 
I don't remember this happening more than one or two times before in a lifetime of camping.  Now to have two separate incidents in the same day, I'm blown away.  Is this "the rules don't apply to me" attitude spreading?    I understand that EVERY dog owner thinks that their puppy is somehow special and better behaved than the rest. 
I'd love to hear what others have experienced, how they've dealt with it, and any suggestions should it happen again.  I realize that at least one or two people will say I'm making a mountain out of a molehill, and at least a couple will insist that I thrive on drama.  So be it.  I just hope nobody tries to justify why THEY don't keep their dog leashed.  I'm not sure how nice I could be in response.

Hi redbarber,

I don't currently have a dog I travel with but I'll express my opinion. You might post this in the section of "RVing with pets" on further down in the RV Forum Menu. You'll probably get more responce. Also see the topic: "ignorant people" in this same section where forum members were talking about the lack of respect some campers have for their fellow campers. I think there is some useful advise there.

First you strike me as responsible with your dog. The other campers allowing their animals to roam is not responsible. I've had problems with neighbors in the past allowing their pets to roam and damaging my property and threatening me while I was doing normal activities on my property.

It all boils down to being a good neighbor while camping and not infringing on other campers (at least make your best effort). While those dogs might be friendly, they could have also harmed your pet and created a legal problem for themselves in their ignorance and lack of caring.

The thing that concerns me is if you would have taken a small walk and they would have pulled in and let their animals out while your dog was leashed, it could have created a problem. Probably always best to be with your animal or put inside if you go out for any length of time. I'll let others chime in on this who have more experience while camping.

We have two yorkies that would make just a snack for a large dog. Ours are never outside by themselves and walked on a leash and we clean up after them.  It seems the dog poop we see left around is always from BIG dogs.  I won't put in print what I would want to do to the dog AND the owner if one of those dogs running around loose should attack one of my dogs or worse my DW or me. My sister in-law was severely bitten by a large dog going after her little dog.  Respect for others seems to be a dying art.  Make sure you post something in the rv review blogs naming the CG.

Is there a local leash law?
Is this a campground you will return to?
Can you be a righteous ass?
Make a huge stink.
If there is a local leash law, call the police.
Make a huge stink about it, so much so, that forever after, that particular campground will enforce the leash rule to avoid another historic "guy with the little dog incident". You sir are in a position to change that campground for the better.

Or just be ignorant, passive aggressive and cut through their site when carrying your dog. Repeatedly.

The righteous ass would be my choice. I wouldn't speak with the neighbors any further if calling law enforcement.
You're not on private property. You are on a permitted commercial property open to paying public, much like a mall parking lot.

Bill

It's the same old story....nowadays more and more people seem to think the world revolves around them and the rules don't apply.  Problem is, a lot of the time, they get away with it.  We've created a narcissistic society.....welcome to 2014.

Thanks for the responses so far, and also to Ned for correcting the forum location for me.  Unfortunately, I can neither make a big stink, nor name the campground.  This campground is part of a county parks and recreation department, and my oldest daughter works for that same department at a nearby facility.  The campground staff knows who I am and who my daughter is.  If I make trouble, I'm pretty sure it would come back to haunt her.  She is just now pulling herself back onto her feet after a nasty divorce and trying to make it as a single mom who nearly never receives the court-ordered child support.  All she would need is me ruffling feathers where she earns her pay. 
As far as leaving Scruffy alone outside, that ONLY happens if I am inside the camper.  An example is first thing in the AM, before I am even dressed, he needs to go out and pee.  I have his trolley terminated just outside the door, so I can just crack the door, pull in his leash and hook him up.  Then it's out he runs, controlled but able to do his business.  If I were to take a walk, he'd be with me on his retractable leash, no way he'd let us get away with walking without him.  As I mentioned in my original rant, he goes EVERYWHERE with us. 
If a big dog were to attack Scruffy, I would not get bitten, I'd just shoot the dog, repeatedly, until he stopped attacking.  Fifteen rounds of 40 S&W should do the trick, I hope.  Pretty sure there'd be consequences, however I'm ready to face them if it comes to that.  Let me be clear, I'm not shooting any "tresspassing" dogs, or any "threatening" dogs.  Only if there is a physical violent attack on my pet or family.  Then it's "game on".  Sorry in advance if this shocks or offends anyone here.

We have a four year old female Lab/Border Collie mix that goes everywhere with us.  Most of the time she isn't on a leash.  That's because she never leaves our side.  She follows voice commands and hand signals without fail.  Just the way she was brought up and trained.  Same thing when we're hiking.  She won't roam unless one of us is with her.  We have had other dogs that could not be off a leash for a second.  My daughter's English Setter is an example.  It's a hunting dog but definitely not a camping dog.  If my dog wondered away from the RV she would be on a leash all the time but she will not leave the campsite.  She also doesn't bark.  The only time she will bark is if someone she does not know tries to enter the RV.  When outside she will give a low growl if someone comes near the RV but that's about it.  She is very good at letting us know if someone is heading our way.

When we are at campgrounds that have a lot of dogs roaming around or RV parks where every site is on top of each other she stays on a leash but we tend to stay away from RV parks and close quarter campgrounds unless it's an overnight while we're traveling.  Not our style.

Old Radios,
I understand exactly what you're saying but the law is the law. If you let your dog walk with you without being on a leash and the local law enforcement officer sees this, don't complain if he should write you a ticket. We've heard it time and time again how good our dog is until the first time it attacks and kills another dog or worse a child. I have a miniature snowser and he is the greatest camping dog and does mind to all verbal commands. When he's at home, he has the run of about 3 acres because we have him contained by a invisible fence. But when we're camping, he's on a lease even if the rules don't spell it out.

Frizlefrak said:
It's the same old story....nowadays more and more people seem to think the world revolves around them and the rules don't apply.  Problem is, a lot of the time, they get away with it.  We've created a narcissistic society.....welcome to 2014.

Unfortunately very true.  It is unfortunate that not only were these people not following the posted rules, but the campground management did not apparently respond or enforce their own rules. 

Old Radios said:
We have a four year old female Lab/Border Collie mix that goes everywhere with us.  Most of the time she isn't on a leash.  That's because she never leaves our side.  She follows voice commands and hand signals without fail.  Just the way she was brought up and trained.  Same thing when we're hiking.  She won't roam unless one of us is with her.  We have had other dogs that could not be off a leash for a second.  My daughter's English Setter is an example.  It's a hunting dog but definitely not a camping dog.  If my dog wondered away from the RV she would be on a leash all the time but she will not leave the campsite.  She also doesn't bark.  The only time she will bark is if someone she does not know tries to enter the RV.  When outside she will give a low growl if someone comes near the RV but that's about it.  She is very good at letting us know if someone is heading our way.

When we are at campgrounds that have a lot of dogs roaming around or RV parks where every site is on top of each other she stays on a leash but we tend to stay away from RV parks and close quarter campgrounds unless it's an overnight while we're traveling.  Not our style.

This is the same attitude that all seem to have when letting their dogs run loose. You sir are part of the problem even though you think you are different than others! Yea I know I'm the ass huh?!

People suck!!!  Did you mention to them that you do have a small dog and fear he may try to protect his space and his humans.  I love my dog ,, BUT only time she is ever off leash is if there is no one else around. She is friendly but for mine and her safety I do not want to risk it.

I understand with issues with daughter, but if it is part of park llaws you are in your rights. You are paying your fees to be there and not using a family discount then the child should not be a issue.

I have a German Shepherd Dog who will not go off the site if unleashed, but she remains leashed as that is the rule of most campgrounds.  It's not fair to her when loose dogs come onto the site and harrass her, but she is good about it.  I really dislike people who let their dogs run and make excuses about it.  Contrary to an above statement, most of the unpicked up poop is fromm little dogs.

Old Radios said:

ironrat said:
This is the same attitude that all seem to have when letting their dogs run loose. You sir are part of the problem even though you think you are different than others! Yea I know I'm the ass huh?!

I respectfully disagree.  Old Radios said when they're at RV Parks and close quarter campgrounds their dog is on a leash.
When they're boondocking, their dog roams.

You're implying he has the same attitude as people who ignore the rules and let their dogs roam while in RV parks.  What gives?

I also have a German Shepherd who will not leave my side. She is on a leash per the rules and because a lot of people are afraid of German Shepherds. I do not wish any one to fear for their safety even though I know it is unwarranted. Nor do I wish to run into someone elses big dog and have to worry if it is going to attack my girl. Cathy

MT4Runner said:
You're implying he has the same attitude as people who ignore the rules and let their dogs roam while in RV parks.  What gives?

He did say that " Most of the time she is not on a leash".

Old Radios said:
We have a four year old female Lab/Border Collie mix that goes everywhere with us.  Most of the time she isn't on a leash.  ...
I predicted in my original post that someone would probably try to justify why the rules don't apply to them, and you, Old Radios, stepped right up.  You ARE the problem I was describing, and as predicted you believe that I must be talking about someone else.  Nope.  It was you, and all of your "I'm a special case" kind. 
I know, I'm being a butthole.  Somebody has to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom