Hitch drop for flat towing.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adun015

Question, of course I fogot to measure but am sure that the original hitch for the 2" receiver is not there. What is the recommended drop for the hitch when flat towing a vehicle? I have a 4" drop hitch that I currently use on the Vogue but I think that might be too low.
I have the 2001 Itasca by Winnebago 36cd. It sits on the freightliner chassis.

I have 2 inch drop on my hitch pulling jeep, and sometimes I scrape coming out of gas stations, A 4 inch drop would be scary.

Thanks that is what I thought. I will go ahead and get a 2" drop hitch and ball. I am towing a 2004 Saturn VUe and the bar sits right at bumper height and just got me wondering about how low that was going to put the actuall hook up and then it hit me, How low is this thing going to be !  Again thanks for the info..

It totally depends on YOUR coach and YOUR toad. The hitch height on thr mh should be within 2" of the attachment point height on the toad, and the toad end should NEVER be higher than the mh end. Some setups require up to 6" or more drop, and some require that much rise.

afchap said:
It totally depends on YOUR coach and YOUR toad. The hitch height on thr mh should be within 2" of the attachment point height on the toad, and the toad end should NEVER be higher than the mh end. Some setups require up to 6" or more drop, and some require that much rise.

Depends on which tow bar you use....my Roadmaster AT Sterling says the "safe zone" is 3"....to be sure check your owners manual.

I went with the 2" drop and it worked like a charm. Anything more and I would have been trenching the hwy in some locations.

I'm using a 8" drop in order to tow with the tow bar near level.  I have never had a problem with it dragging.  I think it just boils down to using a drop that gets you in range of the specs for your tow bar.

Back
Top Bottom