Water in Skylight

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

canuckrv

I checked our 1992 motor home yesterday and saw water in between the domes of our skylight but no signs of water in the interior of the unit. I took the interior trim piece off and both domes seem to be attached from the outside. If i take off all the dicor outside will I be able to get the domes apart to clean and dry them before I reseal and eternabond them?

I changed out the dome on my 5th wheel a few weeks ago as I had cracked it by leaning too heavily on an old and fragile dome. My original intention was to change only the outer dome but quickly found they were part and parcel of the same unit and mounted from the outside. I ended up changing both but the new inside one mounted from the inside and had all the trim required. I was obliged to remove the original trim on the inside so everything fit together.

If you found water inside I would be surprised that at least the edges of the hole does not show evidence of water getting into the roof material. It may not show with everything still in place but it will likely be the case. I used a wood hardener all around the edges of the plywood before putting it all back together. (Dicor roof) I replaced all screws with stainless as many of the originals were close to being rusted out completely. I was lucky to get them all out. (The hole spacing on the new dome was not the same anyway so breaking off 1 or two turned out to be a non-issue.)

Of course, having to do both more than doubled the cost with the inner being more expensive than the outer dome for matching parts from the same manufacturer. I had to internet shop in different places for each to get the best prices.

So I pulled off the outside dome as the caulking was in bad shape and came off easily. I was lucky as the two domes were just put together with what looked like double sided tape so a little work with a puddy knife and they were apart. I also removed the inner dome from the EPDM roof which was harder put some work with the puddy knife and my fingers separated the two. I cleaned both domed and applied Eternabond gasket to the bottom of both and reinstalled with a covering eternabond tape so we should be good for awhile to come hopefully.

Glad you got it fixed up!! The inner on my old one cracked too when I tried to separate them thus I had to go with both new!!

Back
Top Bottom