Dish Network RV account

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gwcowgill

In March I turned on my Dish network and paid the 1 month prepay. I just called this morning to turn it back on for an upcoming trip and am being told I owe for 2 months. This is not the way I understood an RV account to work. I understood when I set this up that I prepay for 1 month when it is turned on, it is turned on for 1 month and then turned off which in the past has worked this way. What has changed? Is Dish trying to rip me off?

As Dutch indicates, you got someone who doesn't know about RV accounts, and apparently thinks you're under some kind of contract. Your understanding of the pay-as-you-go account is correct -- I've done that for some time, now.

There is a different Ph number to contact the RV account reps. Do not use the regular Dish ph number. I don't have the # handy or would post it.

Called from my phone that is not linked to my account and got a sales rep who put me in touch with a gentleman named Eric who was able to resolve the problem. Seems as though they (Dish) changed my account to a regular account without my approval. I found that trying to get through to Dish on my linked phone number kept getting me the accounts dept and a person who really knows nothing about Pay As You Go.

When you call in and go through all the stupid questions.  Ask for Advanced Tech Support (RV Support is part pf it). 

Most of the standard initial reps don't know there is an RV support Desk but they know there is Advanced Tech Support.

Also at the end of your time call in have your account put on suspension.

According to Eric if you call in and suspend your account you will get a credit for the unused time. I will try this after this trip and see if it works. And yes, I tried to get RV support but the lady said  "I Handle Accounts" and you are 2 months past due. I tried to explain to her what I was told originally and was given several rude answers. I was reading on another forum the other day how bad Dish is but I really paid no attention to it. There is hope when you finally get hold of the right people. 

Like Tom said you have to ask for Advanced tech support, I have to be rude sometimes to get them to connect me but once they do it is no problem. I also do the chat online, that seems to go faster and better than speaking to someone.

I just spent over 1 hour talking to 5 different representatives about the similar issue.  I was told so many different things and treated like I didn't know what I had signed up for.  I hope that in the future, using the words "Pay as you go" with "Tailgater" will not cause the same frustrating hour that I just spent.  The Dish reps treated me like I didn't know how their billing worked.  It took 7 people to (hopefully) resolve my issue. - AAARGH! :mad:

I went through this garbage with Dish for over a year - every time I wanted to turn the receiver on or off, I got the same run around. I finally closed the account and went with DirecTv, using my home account's DVR. It literally takes only 5 minutes to unplug the DVR from the house and plug it into the motorhome. I bought a Winegard Travel'r, so the MH dish is identical to the house's dish, so the DVR doesn't have to go through any setup changes. One other thing that is interesting - even though I closed the Dish account and got e-mail verification, I still get, every month, a bill from Dish showing $0.00 due. Why am I getting a monthly bill on a closed account? Just another example of the state of affairs at Dish.

Bill

My Dish pay as you go account has been active for about 5 years and has worked exceptionally well.  When I started it was just for the RV, I then killed my cable TV account and use it in the house when I'm there and back in the coach when on the road.  I have only turned it off this spring when I was out of the country for 4 months. 

When I got home I found that the Distant Networks company had quit business.  Bummer.  I started changing my service address every time I move.  The only problem is that network programs that were going to record on the DVR have to changed every time you change locations.  It is nice to get the local news and weather though. 

Happy with Dish here!

I'm happy with Dish & the Tailgater, too.  However, I did it a little different.  I set up a Dish account for my S&B and ordered a VIP 211K receiver (actually got a 211Z, I think).  When I go for a ride, I take it with me.  Since I use it at home, it is not a RV account and I do not turn services on and off.  FYI - for a onetime fee of $40 you can add DVR capability by adding your own USB drive.  Be aware, it will reformat your drive so make sure the one you use is empty or data not needed.  Once this is done, you can have DVR function (pause, record, etc.) in your RV for no additional monthly charge.

yolo said:
When I got home I found that the Distant Networks company had quit business.  Bummer.  I started changing my service address every time I move.  The only problem is that network programs that were going to record on the DVR have to changed every time you change locations.  It is nice to get the local news and weather though. 

Happy with Dish here!

That is one of the things I like about REPLAY TV DVRs (TiVo should be able to do this but frankly I'm not sure) .. You know, DISH DVR's are based on Replay, in fact, Dish got sued (And lost) by Replay they are that much alike.

I tell my replays to record, for example "NCIS" and they record NCIS, NCIS LA and the new one (NO) when it comes out.

I tell it to record all shows with CSI in the title and CSI, CSI NY, CSI Miamy all get recorded.

I tell it to record all shows with the exact title "Masterpiece Mystery" it will do it.

Provided, of course, that there are no conflicting shows (IE: CSI and MASTERPIECE on at the same time) then it recordes the one with the lowest priority (I can adjust) or with the lowest channel number (IF both the same priority) this works out well where I'm at because I am geting both cable and Over the air channels... Cable is 1-71 I think and OTA is 500+ so cable always wins.  I do not know if your Dish will do that but the "THEME" type recording should work.

Process: Menu to find shows.  Then enter the name and search, Then Create "Name" Channel.  I can not tell you how to adjust priority on the dish DVR since I do that with software on an XP machine. (Actually with a web browser)

The Dish VIP DVR series (including the 211 with the DVR option) works similar to the Replay in that respect. Dish calls it "PASS", and you set the recordings by program title and other options, such as only new, only HD, etc., that lets you limit how many times the same program gets recorded, regardless of what channel it's shown on.

What does the monthly bill run? Or is it the same as what you pay at home?

When I Set Up The tailgater before this trip I tried to get advanced support but the person said she handles RV accounts and so it went.  We have been using it this week and it is wonderful having both TV and the XM radio too. The draw is so low that my 3000w inverter will try to go to sleep so I dedicated a 150w inverter for just it.

One thing is I had read that the tailgater required a psw inverter but it has been working fine on a powerbright cw150 and it is msw.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom