onan generator help.. please!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
grimmjj said:
Lol.. that was unhelpful, but true..lol

Carson. Is that may a list of all the states you've been to? "

The simple answer is YES plus many more without an RV.
It all started in mid 60's with a rental Class A in Massachusetts

Fair enough ?

Yes. I seen you didn't have ohio on there. I don't know how you enjoy scenic views or a stroll through some amazing rock structures, try hocking hills state park. Beautiful place and nice park.

The twin onans that I've had, fire both plugs at the same time. So it can't be 180 out of time, just changing the plug wires around, both plug wires come out of the same coil. If this engine don't have points, my bet is a fouled carb. My old onan BFA would go thru a set of points and condenser almost every year.

If the stop relay was stuck you wouldn't get any spark at the plug.

Does the carb have a drain valve on it?  Some do. If it does open it up and see if you have any fuel. If you don't have any fuel in the bowl of the carb it won't run. Have you jumped the pump to verify you actually have fuel to the carb?

No. The pump isn't working. But if I put gas into heads shouldn't it at least fire? I'll try jumping fuel pump and seeing if maybe I just need more fuel.

Wait. I tried to dump some gas into the carb instead of running fuel pump. It blew the gas back out at me and caught fire. Luckily I was able to quickly put it out. But if I hooked up a fuel pump wouldn't it Do the same thing

Re "no points" all spark type gasoline engines have some kind of "Points" may be a solid state sensor or it may be cam operated points.. In either case timing errors are very possible... EVEN magneto engines have points or some kind of solid state analog of points (Well didigtal of points).

Used to work on small engines. Problems #1 and #2 were carbs (Gummed up) and points, not sure which order.

grimmjj said:
No. The pump isn't working. But if I put gas into heads shouldn't it at least fire? I'll try jumping fuel pump and seeing if maybe I just need more fuel.

Wait. I tried to dump some gas into the carb instead of running fuel pump. It blew the gas back out at me and caught fire. Luckily I was able to quickly put it out. But if I hooked up a fuel pump wouldn't it Do the same thing
These engines don't take too much gas to start and run. You may very well put too much gas in. Did you manually close the choke? First make sure you are getting gas at the inlet of the carb. Did you check to see if the float bowl has a drain? If it does you can open the bowl valve, start the pump and see if the pump will fill the bowl. If it does close the valve, may be just a small screw, then with the air cleaner off look through the carb to make sure there is no fuel coming in the throat. If there is it either has a bad needle and seat or a bad float. Some of these engines will have a bit of spit back out of the carb on startup and shut down, that don't mean there is anything  wrong with it. I just picked up a generac 7000 for $200 bucks and while I was trouble shooting it I noticed a bit of spit back on shut down. This engine runs great too, too bad it has a bad stator. 

I just got on ebay and looked at some carbs for onan, and some have a drain screw, some have a nut and some don't. I don't know what you have.

Back
Top Bottom