93 Winnebago Brave Fiberglass Roof Leak

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VA6LM

I am doing a reno on my 93 Brave I just acquired. The roof has a leak just above the door, I believe where the one piece fiberglass roof meets with the side wall. I am wondering what is the best product to use and how to apply. I also notice that the roof that is original and has never had anything applied is starting to show fibers. Should I apply anything to seal the entire roof or am I better to leave it original for the next owner. I will be selling it after I have fixed it up a bit.

A fiberglass roof shouldn't show fibers and doesn't usually need coating. However, anything can happen in 21 years. But are you sure its fiberglass and not EPDM rubber? That would be showing the canvas backing by now... More recent Braves had fiberglass roofs, but I'm not sure about a 1993.

For the seams and openings, use regular RV roof lap sealant, e.g. Dicor self-leveling lap sealant. The kind that is labeled for use on EPDM rubber roofs is also fine for fiberglass and readily available.
http://rvingwithmarkpolk.com/2012/03/18/how-do-i-reseal-my-rv-roof-seams-sealants/

If the roof material is fiberglass and not badly worn, it can be painted with Dicor fiberglass roof coating. It's basically a moderately thick paint and works well. If worn as you described, I think I would use an EPDM rubber roof coat, which is thicker and provides a sealing layer as well as cosmetic improvement. Some good brands are Liquid Roof, Koolseal RV Rubber Roof Topcoat, or Dicor's Rubber Roof Coat Syste.

Take a closer look at the fiberglass

Thanks for the tips and yes it is a domed fiberglass roof...

Back
Top Bottom