Campground Pet Day Care?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bill N

It dawned on me during our last trip that it sure would be helpful if some larger campgrounds would offer a form of pet day care.  We travel with two cats and a deaf & blind dog.  In our case, the cats are totally indoor and no problem and the dog is well trained to do some serious sleeping (at 14 years of age, that is not a problem) if we give her a good walk before leaving her in the coach.  But on our last trip it seemed that all of our neighbors had dogs and, while there were no problems, we did discuss how the animals sometimes limited our schedule and time away.  No real complaints but the general opinion was that some of the larger campgrounds could probably enhance their business if they offered a day time pet care for those folks wanting to visit local attractions and not have to rush back to take Fido for his walk.  Or am I wrong and do Pet Day Cares exist at a lot of campgrounds?
EDIT:  I should add that it was our desire to travel with our pets that was one deciding factor in buying a motorhome so I am definitely not complaining.

I would agree that pet day care would be a great service. We attended a rally in Ladson, SC a couple of years ago, and there was as doggy day care right outside the back gate of the fairgrounds. Fido spent a couple of days playing with new friends in air conditioned comfort while we explored the Charleston area. In fact, he didn't want to come home at night!

Good tips!

I was a little concerned about this as well.  Paranoid about leaving the dogs in the coach during the day in hot weather.  Sure I'd leave the AC on...but all day I would be worried about "what if the power failed" or "what if a breaker trips"...

Dante2004

That has always been my concern as well.  That was  the deciding factor in our getting the last 3 rv's that we have had.  20' to start, then went larger 29' and 38' diesel pusher.  It took the first dog about 2 days to realize that she could go another 9' to the back of the coach.  If I had the inclination and money, I would figure out a way to partner with KOA and install a doggie day care at their major sites.  If one could afford KOA they can afford a little extra for pet day care.  JMHO

ALK 

BLAKDUKE said:
Dante2004

That has always been my concern as well.  That was  the deciding factor in our getting the last 3 rv's that we have had.  20' to start, then went larger 29' and 38' diesel pusher.  It took the first dog about 2 days to realize that she could go another 9' to the back of the coach.  If I had the inclination and money, I would figure out a way to partner with KOA and install a doggie day care at their major sites.  If one could afford KOA they can afford a little extra for pet day care.  JMHO

ALK

Please do this! If not you then whomever who reads this. We are currently tent campers but we can't take our dog with us because 1) we like to do things that are not always dog friendly, and 2) he HATES camping. Seriously, I am pretty sure he thinks it is torture. So we have to board him when we go out. ? It is expensive and we miss our dog. Having doggy daycare at a campground would be ideal for us. ???

I am sure KOA would love the idea. It would give them another reason to add $5.00, whether you used the service or not.

Back
Top Bottom