You IE users might want to rethink your browser choice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ned

Moderator Emeritus
Read this article about the latest flaw in Internet Explorer (all versions) that can be exploited just by visiting a compromised web site.  Even DHS is recommending not using IE.

Exploits using MS products  ???  That's unheard of :eek:

Yah, what a surprise.  For those that will insist on using IE, here is a way to mitigate it and it even works on XP.

Just rumors put out by the Apple groups.  ;)

I just heard about this today but if Russ were still online I would have had at least two Apple announcements about MS problems. :D

Thanks Ned.  I ran Steve Gibson's command in my old XP Notebook.  It immediately comes back and says it succeeded.  HOPEFULLY...PROBLEM FIXED.

Because Java Script was mentioned I wonder if those of us that have removed Java Script may already be OK.

JerryF

Because Java Script was mentioned I wonder if those of us that have removed Java Script may already be OK.
JerryF

No, no, no, do not ever remove JavaScript.  You removed Java, but neither has anything to do with the latest bug.  It's in a rarely used library for vector rendering.  The article I referenced above has a simple one line fix that works on all versions of Windows.

Ned,

What browser would you recommend?  I currently use Google Chrome but DH uses IE.  We are both "mature" students in the Minnesota College system which seems to have problems with Google Chrome.

Thanks

Firefox is my preference, but Chrome is good too.

I am dropping Mozilla (I think), picked up Opera and so far really like it.

Not sure that it isn't another browser by Mozilla though.

PancakeBill said:
I am dropping Mozilla (I think), picked up Opera and so far really like it.

Not sure that it isn't another browser by Mozilla though.

Mozilla's browser is Firefox, Opera is a completely different browser, not related to the Mozilla people at all.

The reason I thought it might be related, I downloaded an update to Firefox and Opera came down with it.  Of course in installing you get the Windows updater that attempts to install a hundred other programs.  Watch the fine print!

You mean another programmer lost the challange to generate the un-findable back door.. 

(My theory, there is a contest to code up a back door that does NOT get discovered,, Only way to explain so many exploits got to be in porpose (A bit fishey don't you thin, (Actually Propose is not fish).

PancakeBill said:
The reason I thought it might be related, I downloaded an update to Firefox and Opera came down with it.  Of course in installing you get the Windows updater that attempts to install a hundred other programs.  Watch the fine print!

You should never download a program from other than the actual publisher's web site.  That means get Firefox from Mozilla (getfirefox.com) and not from some download site.  You don't know what you'll get from those, as you found out.  I've cleaned up numerous computers for people that have downloaded software from various download sites when they could have gotten the program from the real web site without all the crapware.

John From Detroit said:
You mean another programmer lost the challange to generate the un-findable back door.. 

(My theory, there is a contest to code up a back door that does NOT get discovered,, Only way to explain so many exploits got to be in porpose (A bit fishey don't you thin, (Actually Propose is not fish).
John, I love your posts.  Some are a little difficult to read without getting my tang tungled up, but they are always entertaining. :)

Ned, when I downloaded I thought I had gone to their site, got what appeared to be a message from them that an update was ready, grabbed it and got the crap. 

I finally got rid of the dang installer.

Bill, you certainly weren't at any Mozilla web site.  There installers don't bundle anything, just the desired program.  If you configure Firefox check for updates, it will alert you to any and let you update at your leisure from within the browser.

Today Microsoft released an out of cycle update that fixes the latest bug in Internet Explorer.  It's available through Windows Update.  They even released a fix for XP, how nice.  I suggest everyone apply this fix, even if you no longer use IE as a browser as other programs my use some IE components that were affected by the bug.

Back
Top Bottom