Walmart

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have used the inverter setup before for tent camping. You have to haul a batt in but works fine. Also have 12 volt set up that was used with my last camper. For this you have to have the 12 volt plug in the room. The question was can you use the generator and is it a good idea. I have been thinking of running the wiring to install the 12 volt plug anyway but was just interested to see what others did. As far as not using a CPAP when you should be YES it can kill you.

justpassin said:
All slides should be in, no excuse.

I respectfully disagree. We need at least one bedroom slide out to get around the bed. Its not an excuse, its just necessary.

Like Wendy said, we generally make sure we only put the slide out curbside over the landscaping. Not intruding on anyone. We would NEVER sit outside, fire up the grill, or frolic around. It is 100% more likely that we'll go rent a Red Box movie, spend another $20 or $30 in the store, run the generator only to make coffee in the morning, and then leave.

justpassin said:
All slides should be in, no excuse.
If Walmart doesn't care and there is no local ordinance against it, what some self-described RV expert, TV show Host or RV Club decides/says you should do really doesn't matter.

Please obey all rules Wal-Mart has posted on their lots
and web site while overnighting at one of their stores. This
includes but not limited to having slides out. You should
spend around $40-$50 while there. Keep slides in.
    Its just like taxes, we all just do it.
                                                    Thanks

I've only been RVing since 2004, and in those 10 years I've never even considered staying in a parking lot overnight. When we travel I make certain of our nightly stops. I would rather spend $25.00 to $50.00 supporting a small business, i.e., local campgrounds and RV Parks. I have not been on a trip in the Western USA that I did not pass up a CG or RV Park when it came close to shutting down for the day.

In Susanville, CA I have noticed Motor Homes in the Walmart Parking lot at night while the RV Park across and down the road has available spaces.

I cannot say I'd never stop at a Walmart to catch some rest while on the road, but it won't be my preference.

justpassin said:
    Please obey all rules Wal-Mart has posted on their lots
and web site while overnighting at one of their stores. This
includes but not limited to having slides out. You should
spend around $40-$50 while there. Keep slides in.
    Its just like taxes, we all just do it.
                                                    Thanks

WalMart has no rules about having slides out.
http://corporate.walmart.com/frequently-asked-questions#Park_RV

That said, keeping your slides in is a courtesy to ensure that WalMart continues to extend the courtesy of allowing yourself and future RV'ers to continue to park overnight in WalMart parking lots.

In over 25 years of RV'ing, we've never stayed overnight at a WalMart, rest area, or truck stop. We've had countless discussions on the subject, and the various pros and cons, do's and don'ts. Some folks look for Cracker Barrel restaurants to stay overnight, but I've yet to see one that has space we'd put our coach.

Several years ago, singer songwriter Cliff Rodman "observed" some of these discussions, and wrote/recorded/published "Waltzing through WalMart". You can hear a snippet of this and other Cliff Rodman "RVing songs" at www.rvsongs.com

Tom said:
In over 25 years of RV'ing, we've never stayed overnight at a WalMart, rest area, or truck stop. We've had countless discussions on the subject, and the various pros and cons, do's and don'ts. Some folks look for Cracker Barrel restaurants to stay overnight, but I've yet to see one that has space we'd put our coach.

Several years ago, singer songwriter Cliff Rodman "observed" some of these discussions, and wrote/recorded/published "Waltzing through WalMart". You can hear a snippet of this and other Cliff Rodman "RVing songs" at www.rvsongs.com

Tom,

I liked the song...and I wholeheartedly agree with you, I see no need to stay in a parking lot.

We parked in the WalMart section of Orchard Park Shopping Centre Kelowna, BC. After obtaining permission to overnight at this Shopping Mall, we were advised that a copy of their rules would be placed on our windshield in due course:

"For your convenience, self-contained units are permitted to park on
our property under the following conditions:

1. Overnight parking is permitted for one night only.

2. Parking is restricted to the perimeter of the parking lot. No parking is permitted on landscaped areas.

3. All activities such as cooking, eating etc., must be done inside the vehicle. Picnic tables, lawn chairs, tents, etc., are not permitted on the property.

4. Dumping of garbage on the property is not permitted. All waste material must be kept within the vehicle.

5. Plugging into light poles is not permitted.

6. Trailers are not to be disconnected.

We reserve the right to ask you to remove your vehicle from the property at any time and for any reason whatsoever. "

The rule that really disappointed me, was the one about using their electrical hookups!  ::)

Never say never ... we came as close as we've ever come to overnighting at a WalMart in Brinkley, AR several years ago. After setting up the coach in a "campground", I looked at the gaping hole in the fence behind us, and realized we were sharing a non-fence with WM  :eek:  Story and photo here.

Oscar Mike said:
I've only been RVing since 2004, and in those 10 years I've never even considered staying in a parking lot overnight. When we travel I make certain of our nightly stops. I would rather spend $25.00 to $50.00 supporting a small business, i.e., local campgrounds and RV Parks. I have not been on a trip in the Western USA that I did not pass up a CG or RV Park when it came close to shutting down for the day.

In Susanville, CA I have noticed Motor Homes in the Walmart Parking lot at night while the RV Park across and down the road has available spaces.

I cannot say I'd never stop at a Walmart to catch some rest while on the road, but it won't be my preference.

You and I think the same.  Only once did I use W/M as a stop for a couple of hours to do an emergency repair in the far corner of the lot.Luckily there was an AutoZone nearby.
Other times were always a shopping stop.Supporting the entrepreneur makes me feel good.

Tom,
I must have been handy having the hole in  the fence. It saved walking around.  That was back in 1997. I'm sure things must be much better now at that place!!!

[quote author=Rene T] I'm sure things must be much better now at that place!!![/quote]

I suspect the hole in the fence will be larger, and fewer electric hookups will be working in the campground :(

Try to find convenient open campgrounds in the Northeast in early April.  The closest to my route was 50+ miles in the wrong direction.  I will stay at a WalMart, and have had to on my last trip.  The ones I've stayed at have been open 24 hours, and sometimes have other RVs there.  I always ask permission to park and then where to park.  As our bed requires me to put out the bedroom slide, I also ask if this is alright to do.  I haven't been refused yet.  Unfortunately, at our last stop, there was an RV with all slides out, chairs, grills, etc. spread around it.  We got a late start the next morning - 8 AM, and they were still all spread out.  I think that we should come in near the end of the day and leave fairly early to not disturb their major business time.  Be courteous to them as they are to us.

I guess I'm a low life who has over nighted in a Walmart parking lot on a few occasions.  It was seldom a relaxing and restful experience but served it's purpose and I may well do it again in the future.  I do much prefer a Cracker Barrel for the occasional overnight stop, however.  I've had many Cracker Barrel managers tell me that I should/could park anywhere in the lot after their 10pm closing time.

I try to keep as low profile as possible both coming and going.

I love Walmart too, and who knows maybe one day we'll be forced to stay in a parking lot for a few hours, when and if I do, I hope I am both welcome and unobtrusive.

My position is that small private/state/federal campgrounds & RV Parks struggle to stay afloat, I believe it behooves us as "Active Campers" to support these facilities as much as we can so that we can keep them in business for OUR fun and pleasure. Just saying. 

Oscar Mike said:
I love Walmart too, and who knows maybe one day we'll be forced to stay in a parking lot for a few hours, when and if I do, I hope I am both welcome and unobtrusive.

My position is that small private/state/federal campgrounds & RV Parks struggle to stay afloat, I believe it behooves us as "Active Campers" to support these facilities as much as we can so that we can keep them in business for OUR fun and pleasure. Just saying.
John, I can agree to a point, but I'm a "Traveler" and not an "Active Camper."  As such, my typical overnight stop is <8 hours.  My position on this subject is that if the CGs or RV Parks want my occasional short overnight business, they will have established a reasonable 'overnight rate' to entice me to use their facility.  (even if the accommodations are as sparse as a Walmart parking lot.)  I think you will agree that the opposite is generally true.  Discount rates, convenience  and the Welcome mat are usually reserved for longer term tenants.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MtnRV
Back
Top Bottom