Starcraft pop-up repair side panels along roof.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bean329

Hello, I'm working on a starcraft pop-up that has some water damage on one of the side panels attached to the roof. The roof is in fine shape. We removed the side panel from the roof and I have all the materials to start putting things back together. I'm not sure what type of adhesive/glue to glue aluminum sheeting to the replacement wood panel we purchased. For now I'm going to use DAP contact cement. If anyone has a better idea we would appreciate it. Thank you in advance.

I would think that will work...

Does it also have some metal trim all around that will also hold it on?  If so,  All the adhesive needs to do is keep it from wrinkling as the trim will keep it from coming out.

Best of luck!

Yes there is. The top of the side panel is stapled to the wood under the roof and there is alum trim on the top and bottom of panel. The trim on the bottom holds the rubber gasket to seal the top to the body of the camper. Ok then I'll give it a shot this week end.  :)

So far so good, learned a lot.  A job like this cannot be rushed. Luckily when I was working on the left side of the camper I had the right side to use as a template for measurements like where to mount the risers(poles to raise the top), screw locations for the canvas mounting strip inside the camper. Mounting location of the 2 latches for the top. One major mistake I made was to cut the aluminum channel that goes on the bottom of the roof side panel. Although this helped the removal of the old panel it became very obvious that this aluminum track help support the entire bottom of the side panel. I had to get very creative to fix this. I reattached the ends with steel brackets from the inside of the camper. Drilling and using machine screws to mount the brackets. It appeared to me very quickly that it was very important that the entire perimeter of this side panel needs to be very sturdy because if it is not the side panel may rip off the roof. Luckily a good friend came up with a solid wood plank milled down to the proper thickness. We used a piece off the old side panel as a template to get the proper curve for the new panel. Then we glued the aluminum panels to the wood using DAP Weldwood contact cement.( I first made a test glue on some sample materials). We left the aluminum panels oversized when we did the gluing because this glue sticks immediately. I applied pressure with a dough roller then we repeated on the other side of the board. Oh yes we also purchased a 2x10x12 plank to use as a good flat surface because i felt if our camper plank is curved even a little bit once we glue the aluminum on we would have a curved side panel. Next can the trimming of the aluminum making sure no aluminum extended past the wood because i felt if it did it may make the aluminum want to flex and bubble out. Once the side panel was staples to the roof boards (I marked the roof with a pencil to indicate the location of lighting wires so i would not staple into the wires), I attached the aluminum trim on bottom, (sealing with clear silicone), Attached my corner brackets then moved on to the mounting of the riser poles. Then mounting 2 inside ceiling braces. Then putting on the butyl rubber tape, (from my local RV Store) along the roof and the side panel. Reattach the aluminum trim on the exterior. Then moved to the inside. Reattaching the plastic strip which holds the side canvas.

Sorry for the long post. I can get into more details and pics if anyone is interested.

TTYL

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MoeHoward
Back
Top Bottom