WDH confusion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ebg18t

We am using a 04 Toyota 4Runner with P3 brake controller. Truck has a tow capacity of 5000# as is or 6000# with WDH. The TT in question is the Gulfstream Vista 19RBS with dry weight of 2973# and tongue of 340#, GVWR 4000#.  We haven't brought the TT home yet from the dealer due to the WDH situation.

The dealer first suggested a Husky single bar friction system, then they suggested the Reese Camlock WDH when I asked about BlueOx they indicated it was poor quality.  My father is using the BlueOx Sway Pro and that is all I am familiar with but it seems overkill for my situation. I have been reading a ton, But most cases I read are folks with heavier trailers and bigger trucks.

I don't trust the dealership 100% since they have contradicted themselves multiple times already. So needless to say I am confused about what I really need. Any input or suggestion is greatly appreciated. I like the idea and simplicity of the single bar friction system, but is it enough sway control?

I would vote for the Reese Dual Cam or Strait-Line WD that has built-in sway control. Or the Equalizer brand WD hitch, which also has built-in sway control.

I have no opinion re the quality of the Blue Ox Sway Pro.

I'm not a fan of the friction devices because they require a deft touch to get the proper amount of friction to reduce sway without being so tight that the trailer doesn't pivot as it should. Most people end up with the friction too loose to be of any value if sway develops.  But if you get it right, every time, they work.

The better quality brand hitches aren't overkill - they simply do a better job. I don't think they cost all that much more either, but that's relative.

Thanks for the input. It isn't about cost, but about safety. Second is ease of setup.

After doing some more reading I might just opt for the Blue Ox a Sway Pro since I am familiar with it and my father can help me set it up. But before I spend the $$ I will review the Reese dual cam & straight line.

Good plan. You don't need hefty spring bars with that modest weight trailer, but a quality hitch is a tool you will get value from over a long time. And some day you may get a bigger trailer! For now, 600-800 lb WD capacity should be adequate.

Here's a Reese Strait Line for $317. That's only about $100 more than the most basic models.
http://www.amazon.com/Reese-Towpower-66020-Strait-Line-Hitch/dp/B0008G5EO8/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1398948558&sr=8-6&keywords=reese+strait+line#productDetails

Reese also makes a Light Duty WD hitch that is designed for trailers in the 4000-6000 lb range. It has built-in sway control too, but perhaps not as elegant as the Strait Line models.
http://www.reeseprod.com/content/products.aspx?lvl=3&parentid=1600&catID=1605&part=66558

The Reese dual cam provides anti-sway by keeping the bar ends centered on the cams.  As the trailer moves to one side or the other, the equalizing arms ride up on the cams, pushing the trailer back to a straight line.

It relies on the downward pull of the equalizing arms to provide the centering force, so it works better with trailers that have a high hitch weight.  340 lbs is not a lot of weight, so the dual cam will provide less anti-sway than it would with a higher hitch weight.  That's why Reese uses friction pads instead of the dual cams for sway control in their lighter hitches.

The Straight Line hitch shown in the Amazon link above does not provide any more sway control than any other chain mounted equalizing hitch.  To get effective sway control you have to add the dual cams that bolt onto the trailer A frame.

Yes, that's the proper setup for the Reese with sway control.

I don't know how it compares to the Blue Ox - but Reese and their dual cam system have been around for several decades and usually gets favorable reviews.  From a mechanical standpoint, I'd think the solid connection of the dual cam arrangement would give more positive control when sway is first starting than the flexible chains connecting the ends of the Blue Ox trunnion bars to the trailer tongue, but I have no experience with the Blue Ox product.

There's no problem backing up with the Reese hitch, or with any weight distributing hitch I know of.  I don't know what Blue Ox is talking about when they say you can't back up without releasing some hitches.

After looking at both the a Reese dual cam and the Blue Ox Sway Pro I opted got the blue ox. It was such a toss up, but I liked the Blue Ox just a tad better. Picking up the trailer next weekend.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opal6502
Back
Top Bottom