Hand guns

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Superstock

We are planning a trip to Alaska in August. I always travel with a hand gun for simple protection if needed. Has anyone out there carried into Canada and if so what did you carry and what do I need to do to get permit to do so. The barrel on gun I have is to short so I am looking for the easiest legal way to carry while going through Canada.
Thank you
Gary

You can't.  Canada allows no handguns. You can get a permit to carry a long gun in Canada, but hand guns are out and don't try to sneak one thru.  Do you know some one in Alaska?  You could ship it to them so it would waiting when you got there.

^^^What Keven said...Don't even think about carrying a short gun onto Canada...AND NEVER, NEVER, NEVER try to hide one, those border agents can sniff out a gun.

NO WAY! Don't even try - Canada allows NO HANDGUNS! There is a gun shop in Tok just after crossing the border where you can have your gun shipped. I did this on one of my trips and had the paperwork in with my travel documents and the Canadian Border agents gave my trailer and truck a thorough going over determined to find bullets or another gun...even after I explained that I was carrying the shipping papers for proof I had shipped the hand gun....

They do NOT like handguns in Canada and you cannot even have any ammunition, even brass!!! So make sure you empty your RV and car or truck of everything!

They also knew from my passport that I had a license to carry in Florida and they were determined that I was trying to sneak something through!

Jim

Wigpro said:
NO WAY! Don't even try - Canada allows NO HANDGUNS! There is a gun shop in Tok just after crossing the border where you can have your gun shipped.

Jim

Jim,
What was the name of the gun shop? Was it Three Bears Outpost or Rods Gun Shop? Was it just a matter of calling them to set it up or what take? Thanks

Rene T said:
Jim,
What was the name of the gun shop? Was it Three Bears Outpost or Rods Gun Shop? Was it just a matter of calling them to set it up or what take? Thanks

It was Three Bears - it is on the left side of the highway as you arrive in TOK - I called them and they gave me instructions and then packed it up and sent it UPS - it was expensive to ship but arrived fine and all was well. Just make sure you send the gun and the ammunition as it is expensive and hard to come by in Alaska!! Plus you can't even carry the ammunition in the RV through Canada!!

Just call them and ask for the manager he will give you the information you need to ship it....

Jim

Last time we went, about 2007, you could get a Canadian permit to transport a long gun, cost then around $30. Make sure you check the shotgun or rifle OUT of the USA at the border of they may not let you bring it back. Handgun absolutely not.

The process was simple and no hassle, but remember that a sure way to get in deep expensive trouble is to lie or try to conceal from a customs agent, they have all the power they could possibly need!

For protection in Alaska (bears, erc.) I would rather have a 12 gauge pump than all the handguns made.

OLDRACER said:
For protection in Alaska (bears, erc.) I would rather have a 12 gauge pump than all the handguns made.

That's Crazy.  You don't need a HUGE bullet or caliber.  You just need enough to slow down 1-2 folks that are faster than you.  Bear will get them as you go about your merry way. ;D ;D

Wigpro said:
They also knew from my passport that I had a license to carry in Florida and they were determined that I was trying to sneak something through!
Jim, What part of your passport provides information that you have a license to carry in Florida?. My passport has no entry implying that I have a Texas Concealed Carry Permit.
Thanks'
Bob.

Wigpro said:
NO WAY! Don't even try - Canada allows NO HANDGUNS! There is a gun shop in Tok just after crossing the border where you can have your gun shipped. I did this on one of my trips and had the paperwork in with my travel documents and the Canadian Border agents gave my trailer and truck a thorough going over determined to find bullets or another gun...even after I explained that I was carrying the shipping papers for proof I had shipped the hand gun....

They do NOT like handguns in Canada and you cannot even have any ammunition, even brass!!! So make sure you empty your RV and car or truck of everything!

Jim

Iam not sure how the CDN border agency would know you own a hand gun permit in florida? that's a new one to me  but hey in this day and age never say never
Canada Allows No handguns over the border  same as the US allows No handguns over the border. However Hand guns are legal in Canada to own.>I own and have in my house a 44 long barral ruger/Blackhawk and a matching 22 long. so don't say no handguns in Canada

When I worked for a company a few years ago, we had to go to Canada for a job. One of our guys had a DWI conviction about 35 years ago and they found out about it. They would not let him into Canada because of that conviction.

Rene T said:
When I worked for a company a few years ago, we had to go to Canada for a job. One of our guys had a DWI conviction about 35 years ago and they found out about it. They would not let him into Canada because of that conviction.
not sure what that has to do with hand guns ? But I will say that its ridiculous for our CDN border  agency to refuse a person entry for a 35 year old DWI
I find it strange they were able to find a record of a US citizen for a DWI that goes that far back.R U sure he never self admitted he had one? Dumb .A$$  if he did
but the US is no better as they refuse entry to CDN people for ridiculous reasons also

The point I was trying to get across which some people missed was that they have ways of retrieving stuff. No he did not say anything about the DWI in fact he had forgotten about it when he made out the papers to go into Canada to work.

Canada has maintained that a DWI is a felony and grounds for refusing entry for at least 12 years that I know of.

I did not realize that Canada had access to US court records, I wonder if he had disclosed this to CDN officials before?

I don't know Jeff. I know this time he did not disclose it because he forgot about it because it was so long ago. He may have years earlier.

Jeff said:
Canada has maintained that a DWI is a felony and grounds for refusing entry for at least 12 years that I know of.

I did not realize that Canada had access to US court records, I wonder if he had disclosed this to CDN officials before?

I worked retail in Minnesota and one day 4 guys who had been fishing in Canada for many years came into and said they had been refused entry in to Canada this year as all had gotten a DWI while in high school over 20 years before. 
While I had a houseboat in Voyageurs  Nat'l Park, I thought about getting a remote entry permit to Canada.  They 1st asked where I lived and if I ever had a DWI.  After visiting with them  awhile they said  if I was from Hibbing not to even apply as so many people from there have had DWIs and if I had ever gotten a DWI, I would be denied the permit. 
  They may have been refusing entry for the last 12 years, but look back at your record for longer period than that.

Jeff said:

We know that the US border guards have access to our records....It has been a debated subject up here of how they know that certain people trying to cross have been refused....This included medical records.

For the past number of years both countries have legally exchanged information on criminal activity.  As of June this year at Homeland Security's insistence it has been expanded to require full disclosure.  So, border guards now can tell to the day, the number of days in each other's countries, how many times we crossed, any offences including problems at the border, etc.  In other words, you cannot hide anything.
    Two years ago an acquaintance, who drives a Class B, but spends a lot of time in a park model in the RV park we used to stay in St Pete's got turned around at the border in Detroit.  The reason was that he had been turned away at the Manitoba/ North Dakota border about 20 years previous and the US border guard wanted an explanation.  John couldn't remember the incident, so he was not allowed to cross.  After he got home, his mother reminded him that he and several friends had gone to a wedding, after the bachelor's party, being fairly well inebriated the decided to cross into the states.  Since the guard felt that they were not in a state to legally drive they were not allowed in.  So, 20 years later, no charges, no conviction, other than the guards feeling (likely correct) that they were drunk, gave the US guard the ability to refuse entry.  In other words, please don't knock our border services for disallowing entry for a DUI.

Ed

Here's my two cents on the subject....

Sub DeleteRows()
LR = Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlup).Row
For i = LR to 1 step -1
    If Cells(i, "A").Value = "Hand Guns" Then
        Rows(i).EntireRow.Delete
    End If
Next i
End Sub

"Capricious and arbitrary" is a good description of many border crossing incidents. On both sides.  I have a hard time faulting strictness on the part of the people defending the borders on either side, but too often the actions are just petty and demeaning. Difficult to rationalize that they in any way protect either country.

Some friends in an ultra-luxurious coach were stopped at the Canadian border yesterday and subjected to the full search routine. Another coach was stopped at the same time. Both ended up paying duty on extra alcohol but nothing else. They didn't object to the search as much as the manner in which it was done - said they were treated without any respect and made to feel like criminals even though there were no real grounds for suspicion. I've had the same experience returning to the USA from Canada - the US border guards often treated us with great suspicion despite our US passports and vehicle registrations.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urnwholesaler
Back
Top Bottom