Humming noise in my water lines??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

574rvman

hello, here's a weird 1 . whenever any faucet is turned on I get a loud humming noise in the lines and I cant figure it out. anybody have that before?? thanks for any comment

Is it happening when on the pump or "city" water?  If on the pump, it could just be pulsations of the pumping process.  If on "city" water, it could be the check valve vibrating on the inlet connection.

Halfwright:
574rvman has problems... and you, your making fun, shame shame.
BUT......
I must confess, I had the same thought.

Answers provided by others seem plausible to me.
Another thought .........  slowly change pressure to RV (pressure regulator at input) and see if influences humming, and I don't mean tune one hears or doesn't, just loudness (oh God, help me).
modified my response...  after seeing that 574rvman identified Pressure regulated as culprit. I should have seen that!

I wasn't making fun.  I was just telling him why my pipes hum. He may have a totally different problem. My weter heater whistles for the same reason.

The OP mentioned he is on city water, therefore the most likely component is the one way valve in the city water connector.

To the OP - most city water hose connections have a 1 way valve built into them and it not always obvious. Sometimes they can whistle, other times, do what yours does.

The answer is likely to change out the connector, easy to do if the room is available behind it to disconnect and reconnect the pipe but those connections on the PEX piping can be problematic without the proper tool. I bought new hand tightening ones and substituted them for the original tool crimped ones. The part can be purchased at any RV outlet.

(Hose clamp connectors won't work well as PEX pipe is too stiff.)

There are a number of posts in the forum on this problem. In my case it was the check valves (back flow preventers) on the hot water tank. If you have a single lever bypass you definitely have these and one or the other is buzzing when water flows through. My replacements do the same thing so I've decided it is just the nature of the beast.

Could be javandyke's theory too. Just another place to check!!!! Go outside and snoop around while someone turns the tap(s) on and off!!!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom