EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Don't fulltime  (Read 13684 times)

justpassin

• ---
Don't fulltime
« on: May 02, 2014, 07:16:26 AM »
    I'm not trying to judge anyone just curious why
anyone would want to fulltime? Why set up in a park
and live there in a RV? Isn't that the same as a house,
just the walls are thinner?
     Someone help me to understand.
Justpassinthrough

John Beard

• ---
Re: Don't fulltime
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2014, 07:25:15 AM »
A wise person once said, "If you have to ask you'd never understand". Not being a FT RVer myself all I can safely ASSume is that it's the lifestyle that matters. The ability to move on whim, to see the sights...
John & Susan
2014 Winnebago Aspect 30J
2005 Jeep Wrangler X, Toad, a little modified
Northwest Las Vegas, NV

Great Horned Owl

• ---
  • Lake county, IL
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2014, 07:29:20 AM »
Most (or at least many) people who full time don't just set up in a park and stay there, Rather, they move around the country. They stay anywhere from a few days to a few months in each location.

Joel
Joel & Dorothy
Retired electronics engineer. Avid photographer, paddler & birder.
2011 Silverado 2500HD, Duramax, 4x4,crew cab, 8' bed
Palomino Puma 253-FBS  27' 5th wheel
1994 19' Class B Horizon / Chevy

docj

• ---
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2014, 07:41:13 AM »
Full-timing has different meanings to different people.  Most of us would not consider someone who sets up in a park and never moves to be full-timers but that person does live "full time" in an RV.  However, there are quite a few full-timers who live in one location in the winter and another in the summer and don't travel anywhere other than to go from one place to the other.  Personally, I would view them as snowbirds rather than full-timers.

My wife and I have been full-timing for 3.5 years and, although we stay put for several months in the winter, we travel throughout the rest of the year. We've yet to return to the same place in the summer.  I guess some day we'll run out of "new" places to go to, but that's still a ways off.
Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/braking system
WiFiRanger Ambassador/RVParkReviews administrator
Follow our adventures on Facebook at www.facebook.com/weisstravels.net

SeilerBird

• ---
  • Everything I state is my opinion.
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2014, 07:44:50 AM »
I was a full timer for 10 years. During that time I visited all 48 of the lower 48 states. I visited all 46 of the National Parks in the lower 48. In my signature is a link to my photographs. Go there and look at my photos for a while and see the sights I have seen in the last ten years. I could go on and on about all the things I have seen, places I have been and people I have met. What have you done in the last ten years?
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.
My new Pixel camera:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/rMSw5eVkCfKuuEOP2
My portfolio:
https://goo.gl/photos/Cx4SaYhGfYFShSty7
My Grand Canyon shots:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Nc1AT8tQp25wJwfm1

Ned

• Former Staff
  • ---
  • Ned and Lorna are former full time RVers
    • Have you seen Rolling Stock?
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2014, 07:53:00 AM »
In the 16+ years that we lived full time in our motorhome we saw more of the US than most people see in a lifetime.  We visited 49 states, made more friends than you could in any neighborhood, and we still didn't see it all.
-- Ned -- Fulltimer 1997-2013
1997 Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE
2007 GMC Canyon

tstumpf

• ---
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2014, 01:31:35 PM »
we saw more of the US than most people see in a lifetime.

Ditto that!!!!

After seeing the places we've seen and meeting the people we've met, my question would be "If you're in a position that you can do that, why would you not full-time?"

-Roni

Lou Schneider

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2014, 01:39:33 PM »
I'll answer the question directly.  I'm single, and for the last 10 years or so I've been living in my RV, mostly in a fixed park while I work fulltime.  But I also take off for extended vacations, and that means I just pack up and go.   When I leave the park my rent payments stop, I can then apply that money towards travel instead of trying to fund a vacation while also supporting a fixed residence.

Besides, in temperate climates living in an RV is like living in an efficiency apartment.  Having done both, I much prefer living in an RV.  There's space between me and my neighbor and we don't share common walls, floors or ceilings.   Having lived in a couple of apartments, I find RVers to be much more considerate of their neighbors than the typical apartment dweller.   Loud music is the exception, not the rule, and there's no creaking bedsprings from the upstairs neighbor or the sound of my other neighbor's headboard hitting the common wall between our bedrooms in the middle of the night. <g>

I started living in an RV when I moved to the San Francisco area in 2000 in the middle of the dot-com boom.  Real estate prices rose so rapidly the only purchase I could qualify for within commuting distance of my job was a condo, and I'd had enough of apartment life.  I had a 5th wheel I used for vacation travel, so I moved into it intending to buy property when the real estate market settled down.   But it never did, and I wound up liking the RV lifestyle.

Plus the cost of living in a RV park is a half to a third of what it would cost to rent an apartment, at least here in CA.  The difference went into my rainy day, travel and retirement fund.  I've taken numerous extended vacations including two month long trips to Australia, and I will be financially secure when I retire in another couple of years.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 01:44:56 PM by Lou Schneider »

Dan23

• ---
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2014, 01:55:30 PM »
/\  That's a good answer.   :)
Slide-free 1998 Winnebago Brave 30'
2009 Kawasaki KLR toad on carrier
If needed, wife follows with 2010 Mazda 3 hatch or 1995 Miata

tstumpf

• ---
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2014, 02:01:26 PM »
Painting another picture for you:

Yesterday, we left our RV site that included a full outdoor kitchen (such a blessing when it's hot!) and a patio almost twice the size of the RV. If I stepped off the back of the patio, I'd be standing on a beautifully landscaped golf course with waterfalls, flowers, a family of ducks and gorgeous mountains for a backdrop.

Last night, on our 4th anniversary of full-timing we sat in a Mexican restaurant listening to live vocals from a very talented singer, while we stared at the London Bridge, that crosses the Colorado River in Arizona. While today, just outside the RV are beautiful mountains surrounding the same river.

Tonight we'll be in the Grand Canyon and the day after that Lord willing, we'll be in the mountains of Colorado visiting very dear friends we made while full-timing.

-Roni

BinaryBob

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2014, 02:16:14 PM »
......... made more friends than you could in any neighborhood, and we still didn't see it all.

That's RIGHT Ned... We STILL haven't met yet..  :)
2004 Itasca Suncruiser 37B

"Every hobby perpetuates its arcane mysteries. How else would we impress the newbies with our superior knowledge?"
--Gary RV Roamer--

Ned

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2014, 02:31:36 PM »
That's RIGHT Ned... We STILL haven't met yet..  :)

We've made a lot of friends here that we haven't met, yet ;)
2007 GMC Canyon

motojavaphil

• ---
    • High Road To Taos
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2014, 02:07:56 AM »
The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence unless you have to cut it.  We have vacationed, retired, fulltimed and then became vacationers again.  I like the extra garage and space of our stick and brick.  Then again when I am pulling weeds I wonder what I have left.  It is a personal choice and each has its advantages.  If you are asking the question then you might try it.  Life is short and you have to live it doing what is best for you.
Phil, Carol, Ariel, Grey Lady
2009 Carriage Cameo
2016 Ram CTC, 4x4

DonTom

• ---
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2014, 03:28:32 AM »
How easily can you move your home around?

The idea that one can chase the best weather for the time of year and not be stuck at the same location for years at a time all sound good to me.

I ain't a full timer, but have two homes 225 miles apart in different states plus an RV, so I can get by this way.

Being stuck in one place for life is what I cannot understand.

-Don-  Reno, NV

-Don-   AA6GA

2000 Fleetwood Tioga 24D, 7.4L

Eight motorcycles:
Original owner of:
1971 BMW R75/5
1984 Yamaha Venture
2002 Suzuki DR200SE
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2016 Versys 650 LT
2016 Moto Guzzi Stelvio
2017 Zero DS ZF6.5
2017 Zero SR 13 w/pwr tank

Mr Bojangles

• ---
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2014, 04:50:06 AM »
The original poster "JUSTPASSIN" sure received explanations that should allow an understanding of the WHY!

And what a "moniker", JUSTPASSIN. Sure seems applicable for an RVer....... even a Fulltimer.

Personally, I would love to be a "fulltimer" but my wife want's to live in a STICK and BRICK home. Soooo, when possible I travel for ten, twenty, or thirty days at a time by myself.

What's down that road, what's over there? What a pleasure to just be as free as a ???? well hell, as free as a FULLTIMER.

God willing, I may get to experience that feeling for more than days at one time.
See ya on down the road!
SAFBVET    Jim O
28 trips out.... 88,000 Miles -S  to Key West, SW to Gulf...w to Texas, NW Oregon, across Canada.

lumpy75

• ---
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2014, 07:16:03 AM »
This was are first year retired and we asked the same question to the full timers we met in Florida. Just like you we are trying to understand giving up the house. The answer that we got many time was that is was liberating to remove yourself from the day to day needs of owning a home. They also said the hardest thing was parting with the stuff. But it was just stuff and now they do not have to take care of it. We are still too fond of our stuff to part with it yet. It is to each there own I suppose.

driftless shifter

• ---
  • A Luddite with a stupid phone
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2014, 08:47:39 AM »
One of the best things about it is if you don't like the neighborhood, start your house and move. If you're still working, don't care for the job or local economy, again, just start your house and move. :)

Bill
Bill & Nan
(o\_!_/o)
93 bounder 34, chevy chassis
couple of aircooled vw's, 1 fast(sold), 1 reliable(sold).  Dubless : (
USN '76-'80, 1 boat, USS Blandy, DD 943.
I'm an analog guy in a digital age.

Bill N

• ---
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2014, 09:36:58 AM »

You know, there is something about this poster that seems to point to the need to have confrontation between those who reply.  I have followed several of his/her post topics and each and every one seems to set up and invite replies which eventually result in some bad feelings between posters.  Such other posts as on Walmart parking, Dogs in campgrounds and this one are what have led me to this conclusion.  I may be wrong - have been numerous times before in my life but I will just refrain from joining in on such posts that invite bashing.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 09:39:53 AM by Bill N »
Bill & Joan N in Missouri
USAF (Ret)
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 35U
Workhorse W22, 8.1L Chevy V8
2013 Chevy Sonic Toad
Furbearers:  Heidi-17(Forever), Grace-10 & Squeak-4, Winnie - 8 months

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2014, 11:12:14 AM »
We don't fulltime, but dreamed about it when younger, although not for very long. We periodically re-visit the question, especially when we're on long trips, but always agree it's not for us or our lifestyle. OTOH we know many folks who have fulltimed for years, and wouldn't have it any other way.

One observation from our 20 years here on The RV Forum is that, sooner or later, life events take an unexpected turn, derailing or modifying the fulltime lifestyle. Health and mobility issues are just a couple of reasons for unexpected changes. Just curious if fulltimers typically have an exit strategy for the day when they're no longer able or no longer wish to continue the lifestyle.
Edit: Typo.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 08:04:04 AM by Tom »
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

Ned

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2014, 11:45:28 AM »
We didn't have a specific exit strategy in mind when we began full timing in 1997, but I had a block of stock that was a solid performer and had little downside risk that I earmarked for a future land purchase.  We took 16 years to see most of the US and when we finally decided on where we would like to eventually settle, we looked for, and purchased, a lot that we were able to put 2 full hookup RV sites on.  We spent much of the next few winters there, getting to know our neighbors and the area.  The lot purchase and development were funded by that block of stock, just as planned.
2007 GMC Canyon

Clay L

• ---
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2014, 11:47:58 AM »
We had an exit plan and executed it when we bought a house two summers ago. We hadn't planned on leaving the lifestyle quite yet but as you say things change.
In our case it was partly health and partly the fact that mentally we were ready.
At first we planned to continue on as snowbirds but after one last winter in AZ we decided we were ready to sell the rig and settle down.

We have friends that did not have a real exit plan - mostly because they did not have the financial resources to make one. A year ago health forced them to move in with their daughter in a rented apartment in upstate NY and let their motor home be repossessed.
They loved the west, are glad they had 11 full timing years and are adjusting.

Neither one is happy with how they will spend the rest of their lives, especially after enjoying the freedom of the full timing lifestyle for those 11 years but it is a choice they made because they wanted to full time so much.
Clay (WA5NMR), Lee (Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats), Sali (toy poodle)
Settled down after full timing for eleven years and snowbirding for one year in a 2004 Winnebago 35N Sightseer, Workhorse W 20 Chassis. Honda toad

Molaker

• ---
  • We don't camp. We tour.
    • Pumpkin and Us
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2014, 12:01:40 PM »
We don't full-time.  In fact, recently we've barely part-timed due to health issues.  But, things are looking up and we plan on running the wheels off our new ERA.  However, neither of us are suited for full-timing, we don't think.  We tried moving in with a kid recently and planned to sell our sticks & bricks.  The idea was to free us up so we could hit the road at the drop of a hat.  But, both of us found we missed our "stuff"...just couldn't bring ourselves to divorcing from our old lifestyle.  So, we moved back home, on the lake, and decided we'd just slowly trim down our "stuff" so the kids don't have such a mess to deal with later and, also, get the S&B well configured for months of "shutdown" time.  I figure we have maybe 3-4 more years of travel left in our worn out carcasses, but only if we can hit "home" and recoup periodically.
Tom & Joyce and Ditto the "don't tell her she's a dog" Westie
U.S. Navy (Ret)
2014 Winnebago ERA 70X 24' class B Sprinter chassis

ArdraF

• ---
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2014, 03:09:20 PM »
As others have said, most fulltimers see the country and enjoy the freedom of being able to go where you want to and when you want to go.  Very few go to one place and settle in there.  Many of us like to travel but not by airplane and hotel which we did while working.  We much prefer to take our home with us because we have our own food, bathroom, bed, room for hobbies, computers, etc.

We used to talk about fulltiming but decided we like to return to a permanent place.  We can go off for months to attend rallies and travel around sightseeing or visiting family, but it's always good to return home to our "stuff" which we're not willing to disperse.  Some people want to fulltime forever but sometimes life events intervene.  Physical disabilities frequently are the game changer.  Meanwhile we all enjoy being fulltimers, longtimers, or vacationers, whichever fits our own particular lifestyle.

ArdraF
ArdraF
:D :D

justpassin

• ---
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2014, 10:44:52 PM »
You know, there is something about this poster that seems to point to the need to have confrontation between those who reply.  I have followed several of his/her post topics and each and every one seems to set up and invite replies which eventually result in some bad feelings between posters.  Such other posts as on Walmart parking, Dogs in campgrounds and this one are what have led me to this conclusion.  I may be wrong - have been numerous times before in my life but I will just refrain from joining in on such posts that invite bashing.

I dislike confrontations; let alone seeing others
Having confrontations . Sorry to burst you bubble
Troll hunter.
Justpassinthrough

Jeff

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2014, 11:02:55 AM »
The other full timing litmus test is that both of you enjoy it. We full timed for almost 6 years but Sue was ready for a nest after 4 years.

We found a good compromise in our search and ended up with our Arizona Room home in Surprise that is our base for six months a year and spending the other six months or so on the road avoiding AZ summer temperatures. With a few winter RVing excursions I don't go too far into RV relapse. ;D

justpassin

• ---
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2014, 04:23:45 PM »
Thanks everyone for all the replies.
Justpassinthrough

RogerE

• ---
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2014, 10:36:01 PM »

Because for most of us it is not living in one place.  We move around on a regular basis and have never considered staying on one place for more than a month.
Mitzi, Roger and M.C.
2014 Winnebago Journey 42E

Billp47

• ---
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2014, 07:57:08 PM »
I'm not living in an apartment. I don't have to be too worried about bothering others or others bothering me. No one on top of me (all though it feels like they are sometimes since the lots are so close).

Also when I move (which I've had to do about 15 times in my life having had that many apartments) everything is right where it was when I "get there".

And I can modify my "home" as I see fit (unlike an apartment). Don't have to deal with the additional costs of a home.

Also I like the feel of camping. It's fun.

There are certainly many downsides though.

garyb1st

• ---
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2014, 11:00:15 AM »
Just got my utility bill.  A bit shy of $600.  But heck, that's for 2 months.  And, it includes both water and electric.  Also trash and sewer services.  Before we left, I paid a plumber $600 to replace a section of sewer line.  Before that, about $500 to replace a kitchen faucet and garbage disposal.  Normally a diy project, but this one took an experienced plumber more than 3 hours.  Our furnace and air conditioner have served us well but at 35 years of age need to be replaced.  Estimates are from $8 to $12,000.  Before we left I debated cutting the grass.  It's probably going to be half dead when we return from our current adventure.  Last time it only cost $1,500 to re-sod the back yard.  Oh the automatic sprinklers worked just fine.  But the watering restrictions place us between a rock and a hard spot.  So, re-sodding the back yard a year ago on top of re-sodding both the front and back yards 10 years ago and lots and lots and lots of water probably $25,000.  In fact, it's likely way north of $25,000.   

I also debated whether or not to do some repairs on a few of our 60 year old wooden windows.   10 years ago, I removed, sanded and repainted every one of them.  I really don't want to do that again.   Actually at 71, there's a lot of homeowner type things I don't want to do again.  If I lived full time in a motorhome, I'd save at least $15,000 a year in expense on a home that is mortgage free.  If we full times and rented the home, I'd have to determine what to do with that $15,000 plus the rental income on the home.  Still, it's great having a home.  If I was starting out, I'd do it all over again.  But after 3 homes and some decent profits, I'd like to see what's happening from a window that has a different view every now and then.   
Gary B1st

2005 Pace Arrow 35G
2016 Jeep Wrangler

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2014, 11:23:00 AM »
Back in the 80/90s I had a friend who had what he called the Law of Requisite choices: You can live only so long as TOTAL choices is greater than FATAL choices.. Alas, he ran out of choices..  But the point is choice is good. Some folks choose Full time, Some part time, Some Hotel rooms when they travel.. To each his own preference and the sad thing is more states do not allow full time travel.  Michigan, for example (My home state) requires a Sticks and Bricks type address. No PO box.

Some of the facts that made up my decision:  I wanted to SEE THE USA.. You may remember (if you are old enough) The Chevy adds from, I think the 60's "See the U S A in your Cherovlet"  Well.  this rolling house is a Damon, and the chassis is a Workhorse.. but the ENGINE.. That's a chevy 8.1 L Vortec...  So you see, I'm simply following instructions. :)

I do not mind setting up and taking down and usually no longer than 2 weeks between park changes.

I have two memberships. these give me (Summer) 2 weeks in system and one out (Each park) winter I can only use one of them,  After initial purchase the memberships cost me 95/month... This includes parking for the Motor home, Water, Sewer, Electric and Wi-Fi..  I buy around 120 to 180 worth of propane annually (10-15/month)

Winters I spend an average of 140/month more for parking (So it's still only 135/month).

Phone: What I pay for my cell, with data plan for the odd times when the park does not provide, is about what I paid for the land line and data plan at home.

UTILITIES used to cost me around 250/month (Water/Sewer/Gas/Electric) some months (Very hot/cold) it coudl break 300.
(This is close to a month here at Cathead Creek, 370 on a 50 amp site)

Taxes on the house were over 3000 per year.. The motor home has a sticker price right close to the hosue.. Taxes are 382 per year.

A savings of roughly 3,000 I burn about 2,000 in gasoline moving it about (that is max) at this time.

So.. As you can see, I'm saving about a kilo-buck a year, and enjoyhing it more,, AND.. What's more.. When I bought my S&B it was a nice neigh borhood.. About 2 weeks before I put the key in the ignition and pulled out the gate for the last time PERIOD, the house next door, which was sold to a management company and was occupied by a bunch of pigs selling dope, got shot up rather well.. Then a couple weeks after I pulled out the gate it got firebombed.

I get into a neighborhood like that with the motor home.. I do not reach for the ignition switch (I mean it's already on) I just lower the right foot a bit and beat the blazes outta-there.    Way easier to move if the neighborhood goes to .... well  POT (in the Controlled substance sense of the word).

Side note: T-Shirt showed a photo of a chicken holding a green leaf in it's beak standing on top of a Greek Letter (Pi)   The Facebook post said "Do not like unless you get it within 5 secionds) I read it in the manner of a book (more like 1/5 second)
Can you figure it out.. no need to reply.  No giveaway either.
Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.

blw2

• ---
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2014, 12:12:27 PM »
When I read the original post I pictured the folks in many of the RV parks in these parts that based on appearance have not relocated in several years..... Faded awnings with residential fridges under them and other junk that makes it seem like they've been there a while..... Different me thinks, than what most folks think of the full time roamers or snow birds.....
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 03:31:33 PM by blw2 »
Brad (DW + 3 kids)
13 Thor Chateau 31L Class C on Ford E-450
'06 Silverado
'05 Rockwood Freedom 1910 (5-1/2 years)
former tent campers

Hfx_Cdn

• ---
« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2014, 02:28:48 PM »
    Being Canadian it is extremely difficult to "Full Time".  Accordingly, we have never done so, but for the 4 years following my retirement in 2008, we spent between 8 to 10 months in the RV.  We have visited all 10 Canadian Provinces, and 47 of the lower 48 US States.  We have had several trips that exceeded 8,000 miles.  We have moved on having bought a S&B house in FL for winter stays, and have retained our house in Nova Scotia. 
   The RV lifestyle cannot be replicated through any other means.  Yes, we have a community pool and rec center in Florida, but it is not the same.  The people that we have met over the years are not only supportive, but also great people.  Yes, we see the cream of the crop here in this Forum, but we have also met a great group of RVers from coast to coast.
    The bottom line, as stated above, the choice is yours.

Ed
Ed & Donna
Winter-Pinellas Park FL, Summer- Maritime Canada
2000 Coachmen Catalina 34' DP (owned 2004 to 2015)
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad

Billp47

• ---
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2014, 01:54:59 AM »
See, Garyb1st has been quite gracious in explaining why housing costs can be overwhelming (even when you can to a lot of it yourself). Other than that, the most important aspect to really running is where to park. Things have changed somewhat over the past 12 years (for the better). Bottom line your rig will date you and you can end up stranded.

Billp47

• ---
« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2014, 02:07:13 AM »
I've been fulltiming for over 10 years and what I say is fact. The ability to keep your rigs up to date will not affect you old ones yet, but it is in effect now to some extent for us younger, and if you're not very careful you will get the same treatment down the road. Capiche?

Billp47

• ---
« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2014, 02:10:55 AM »
And the reason why I'm nice enough to give along some advice is???
I remember reading simliar postings when I was starting out... before I ever even bought my first RV.

So good luck people. It's a fun lifestyle but like anything it has its ups and downs.

Billp47

• ---
« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2014, 02:13:42 AM »
For instance, I put out my 18ft canopy awning and drove away for 15 minutes to the store. When I came back it was torn 1/3 off and up on the roof of my RV. That's big trouble and it affects even the high price RV's.

Billp47

• ---
« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2014, 02:22:39 AM »
And if I could afford a piece of property where I could park my rv and had a well, etc. Even if it had a house I would still live in my RV.  That's how cool it is.

We all have the exact same RV. It doesn't matter if you paid 300k for yours or I'm running on and older one. The appliances are all the same stuff. Get enough space that satisfies you and protect overhang problems (Research it). Rain/water just eats at anything wood over the years, like acid. So plan to replace or plan to protect. But don't procrastinate ever on protecting windows, etc from that rain after a certain number of years. Now you're clear. But the year will happen and your beautiful RV will warp like all hell. Mark my words.

Billp47

• ---
« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2014, 02:44:15 AM »
When I read the original post I pictured the folks in many of the RV parks in these parts that based on appearance have not relocated in several years..... Faded awnings with residential fridges under them and other junk that makes it seem like they've been there a while..... Different me thinks, than what most folks think of the full time roamers or snow birds.....

I agree with what you say blw2 but I'm not sure it makes that much difference. I'm not talking about stranded with a home type refrigerator outside as you did. But that is always a possibility. But not for careful older folks (who are likely asking). Assuming they are asking and not someone else, then I can say that they need to cover their tires (for instance) because they cost a hell of a lot of money and it's easy for them to sit for 5-8 years. It just is. I've seen it. Even then they'll likely want to replace them at a cost of $200+ each tire. It can be a lot of money so older folk who have the income via pensions etc should be ok but they will be calling vulture repair guys who will bilk them for hundreds for things that cost 10-20$ to fix. But like the one guy said in this thread (mod of some sort... sorry I'm new) it's still better than a house in some regards. Lots of info on the internet now too.

Billp47

• ---
« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2014, 03:19:27 AM »
Because for most of us it is not living in one place.  We move around on a regular basis and have never considered staying on one place for more than a month.
True Roger. I started out with that in principle. And the beauty is that 10 years later I am now thinking about driving her down somewhere else. The first trip was 2000 plus miles so she's no stranger to traveling. Mount Rushmore and the badlands and all.... Many here will know...

gralson

• ---
« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2014, 11:10:53 PM »
I think there is a portion of the society that is likely very under represented  from what I have seen on the forum. Those of us who have jobs that require us to be away from home.  now some might argue that we aren't fulltimers, and they could be right. But in my mind 250 days a year in an rv is pretty darn close. My reasons are both finacial and personal. I can toss my money to the local hotelier, eat in restaurants and save little or I can drag an rv around sleep in the same bed, save some money live a little better(opinions may vary) and have an asset at the end of it. As an added bonus I get a free hobby to boot
85 winnebago cheiftan w honda gen & solar array off grid full timing year round (except the 8 days a month at the sticks and bricks) western canada Ab,Sk,Mb. yes I do it in - 40!

Howard Jaros

• ---
  • Love Full Time RV Life and running Biz from the RV
    • Your Full Time RV Living Source
« Reply #40 on: September 02, 2014, 03:32:41 PM »
Hey, all good answers here!  We all have our reasons for living in tiny homes, and you know what?  We don't have to justify it at all!  We are all free to choose how we live, and why we do it doesn't matter.  I will take the other approach.  I would prefer less people go full time because it is making it difficult for me to secure cheap park rent with the influx of wannabees!  So, do yourself a favor and don't bother going full time!  You will just hate it!  You will miss all that house work and expense!  Just leave it for those of us who are crazy!  OF COURSE I AM KIDDING!  I just wanted to express that in written word one time in my life!
Blessings,
Howard, Pam, and Lindsey the authoring Corgi
www.yourfulltimervliving.com

vmyoung61

• ---
« Reply #41 on: September 04, 2014, 10:46:19 PM »
I agree with Howard.  It's just awful to be able to clean your whole "house," top to bottom, in an hour.  It stinks to be able to leave when the weather gets too hot/cold, and take your house with you.  Don't even get me started on the ability to change the scenery outside your living room window, anytime you want to.  If a neighbor moves in next door that you just can't get along with, it is too horrible to mention that you can leave.  I can't go on any more!  Just to unbearable to talk about . . .   ;)
Steve and Gina
2017 Thor Palazzo 33.2
2017 Chevy Equinox toad

UP Travelers

• ---
« Reply #42 on: November 29, 2014, 12:43:55 PM »
The one (1) week anniversary of buying our MH (in which we will Fulltime) is still a few days away. An RV Forum thread titled "Don't fulltime", as one might imagine, is gonna get my attention. I thought "this is going to be interesting". Rather than "Oh darn, what did we do?"
It was an interesting read. Many good testimonies as to why folks love the lifestyle. Not many to the contrary.
As for the official definition of Fulltiming. I could not offer one. I might be more comfortable,at this point, trying to define what is it not. I would not call living permanently in an RV park and never moving "Fulltiming". And when I contemplate what I believe we are is store for I think about Christopher Columbus, Lewis & Clark and William Bakewell. I think about seeing new places, new wonders. Staying long enough to get to know it like an old friend. Then moving on. I think about adventure, about meeting new people and making new friends.
When I was young, way back when, I did a fair amount of traveling by-the-thumb. Like a lot of our generation. For no other reason than for the adventure. I remember the feeling of freedom. Sleeping along the side of the road in the middle of Iowa and being woken, in the morning, by truckers tooting the horns. The people I met, the experiences I had, the things I learned have served me every day of my life since.
Then came the next phase of life. Which was great. Wife, kids (3 boys), work,  hockey (had to throw that in). Still have the Wife, kids are gone. All married and doing well. Enjoying there own lives. Life is in phases and that phase is over.
We have friends who are at about the same place, in life, that we are. They travel the world. Not fancy. But on a budget. Backpacks, one change of cloths and sleep cheep. They have been in more countries that I can name. And I know people who when they are 10 miles from home, in unfamiliar surroundings and around new people they are very uncomfortable. If they don't hurry home or take a pill they freak-out. "It takes all kinds to make a world". And so it should.
For me I like travel. Not for the travel itself but for the adventure, the learning. Life has challenges and we have had some. I know there will be some challenges along the way and that is to be expected. But I'm ready. To hit the road again.
There will be a phase, not this next phase, when we stay put again. We know where that will be. And it's not where we now live. Until then, starting this next fall, we will be "Fulltimers". Until we decide not to be. That's the beauty of it.
So there you have it. And remembering the first website, about Fulltiming, I happened upon. Right in the middle of the page was the Mark Twain quote; "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you don't do........". So those that don't can read about the one's that do.

Jim

Jim
2008 Tiffin Allegro 32BA
2015 Kia Soul
Blue Ox Alpha Tow Bar
Blue Ox Patriot Brake System
EEZ RV TPMS
Garmin RV 760LMT GPS

Mr Bojangles

• ---
« Reply #43 on: November 30, 2014, 04:34:37 AM »
UP TRAVELERS:
Jim,
Since you signed with Jim......, and your posting was so forthcoming, open and clearly friendly, I feel you are one who would want to be called just "Jim".

I don't remember reading a post that was so "right on" about what "Full time RVing" means to them. And, it is the closest explanation of what that would mean to me. I do not "Fulltime" but want to RV for extended periods at least.

Keep posting. Your style of expression is precise, inviting, and interesting. I for one will follow your postings for awhile anyway, intriged by your verbal painting of thought.
Thanks Jim
Mr. Bojangles
SAFBVET    Jim O
28 trips out.... 88,000 Miles -S  to Key West, SW to Gulf...w to Texas, NW Oregon, across Canada.

RodgerS

• ---
  • You get what you inspect.
« Reply #44 on: November 30, 2014, 11:57:58 AM »
This turned out to be a very interesting thread to read based on a very good question. Some words, like full-time, don't really lend themselves to simplistic explanations.
Gone RVing with Susan
Class B- RV: 2001 Mercedes CLK320 Soft Top

UP Travelers

• ---
« Reply #45 on: December 02, 2014, 06:02:37 AM »
Mr. Bojangles,
Thank you for your kind words. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that "fulltiming" will be what I imagine. I was expressing what I think, what I hope and what I believe we will experience when we embark on our new lifestyle. Time will tell. The reality is out there and we are not yet.
Jim
Jim
2008 Tiffin Allegro 32BA
2015 Kia Soul
Blue Ox Alpha Tow Bar
Blue Ox Patriot Brake System
EEZ RV TPMS
Garmin RV 760LMT GPS

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #46 on: December 02, 2014, 03:51:52 PM »
Well, when I think of Full Time I think of living in a MOTOR HOME full time, key word MOTOR, alas, mine is not just now (but give me a year or two and I'll be singing: On the Road Again.

When you see grass under the rig higher than .. it should be...

Faded awnings
Rotted (or missing) tires,
Residential fridge
Evidence that RV has not moved in a decade.

Well, there is another name for those folks... 

(Actually: One here I call Friend, but that's a long story)
Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.

Glenn West

• ---
« Reply #47 on: December 07, 2014, 07:45:33 PM »
I still work but we full time also. I am a welder and work got poor at our S&B. Going west of Mississippi made an 150% increase in pay. We sold house/land and bought a 5ther and dually. We just love our lifestyle and see parts of this country we never would have before. Did take a job that lasted a year and we don't want to do that again. Although we moved twice in that year to a neighboring town. Most my jobs are weeks long and we move on to next outage or state. Look forward to retirement when we get to go places where jobs are not, at lest in my field.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120, singled, hauler bed with ET air hitch. Traveling America welding and repairing plants, really enjoying Gods great country

TonyDtorch

• ---
« Reply #48 on: December 07, 2014, 08:41:51 PM »
From What I see there are about 3 main groups of "fulltimers".

1. retired people that really enjoy fulltime RV life.
2. Transient workcampers that are comfortable with fulltime RV life.
3. former sub prime mortgage holders that are struggling with fulltime RV life
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 01:38:47 AM by TonyDtorch »

Ernie n Tara

• ---
  • Life is Good - Together
« Reply #49 on: December 08, 2014, 09:54:46 AM »
Just to present another aspect of full timing; I find the sense of community to be much stronger than in any sticks and bricks neighborhood I 've lived in. Perhaps its common interest,  perhaps proximity but its there in most parks we've spent more than a week in. This is certainty not the only reason we full time, but it is a nice aspect.

Ernie
Ernie 'n Tara

2011 Winn Journey 34y
2012 Jeep Rubicon - Dozer (orange - kinda)
2006 Jeep Wrangler

NY_Dutch

• ---
  • Following the warm weather!
« Reply #50 on: December 08, 2014, 11:27:02 AM »
It seems to me that the majority of run down, been there forever RV's I see in many campgrounds belong to seasonal folks that use them off and on for vacations, weekends, and such, rather than living in them full time.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox base plate

docj

• ---
« Reply #51 on: December 09, 2014, 12:09:14 PM »
From What I see there are about 3 main groups of "fulltimers".

1. retired people that really enjoy fulltime RV life.
2. Transient workcampers that are comfortable with fulltime RV life.
3. former sub prime mortgage holders that are struggling with fulltime RV life

I'd rewrite your list a bit:

1. retired people who chose the fulltime RV life.
2. younger, working people who have chosen a traveling lifestyle, some of whom may be workampers, but many more of whom are oil field workers, nurses, etc.
3. people who lost homes in the downturn who may fall into either of the above groups.
Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/braking system
WiFiRanger Ambassador/RVParkReviews administrator
Follow our adventures on Facebook at www.facebook.com/weisstravels.net

TonyDtorch

• ---
« Reply #52 on: December 09, 2014, 08:19:29 PM »
I'd rewrite your list a bit:

1. retired people who chose the fulltime RV life.
2. younger, working people who have chosen a traveling lifestyle, some of whom may be workampers, but many more of whom are oil field workers, nurses, etc.
3. people who lost homes in the downturn who may fall into either of the above groups.

You are right I should have said "people that lost their homes due to the economic downturn caused by sub-prime home loans" and are struggling with full time rv life.

but that seamed a bit long so I shortened it a bit.

Dutch and Di

• ---
« Reply #53 on: December 09, 2014, 08:35:13 PM »
To each his own on his/her/their lifestyle.  Fulltime does mean different things to different folks.  We are just finishing up our 18th year of living fulltime on the road and wouldn't trade it for anything. 
For us, we usually stay a week to two weeks in one spot then want to move in and do more exploring or find a new golf course.  Only on rare occasions do we stay a month and only 3 times in the 18 years have we stayed 3 months but didn't care for sitting still that long.
For us it is not the same as being in a house, it is better.  We have a 38' triple slide Carriage 5th wheel and have 400 square feet of living area.  It is perfect for just the 2 of us.  We have everything we want and it is easy to take care of.  We have the perfect package to travel and see our beautiful country at our leisure.  We also don't care for cold weather so this affords us to pick up and move when we don't like the weather.
We are a bit limited in where we can go for the winters, Florida, The Rio Grande Valley in Texas, Southern Arizona and Southern California because we like to be in shorts.  So far we are still enjoying just staying a few weeks then look for another area of that state.  It works for us.  Hugs, Di

2015 Dodge Ram Dually, pace Edwards rolltop cover, Aisen tranny
1996/2010 Triple Slide Carriage, Mor/Ryde Susp, Kodiak Disc Brakes, Big Foot Auto Leveling System, TST Tire Pressure Monitoring System, Plug It Right Stabilizers

AirDragon

• ---
  • Bank Free, Single and Cruisn'
« Reply #54 on: December 14, 2014, 09:57:19 AM »
I've been at this fulltiming in an RV for almost 8 years. I was forced to retire early because of a botched back surgery and spent 6 years prior, moping around in a house. I watched how the economy was taking a dive while friends of mine were talking survival mode. I weighed the situation and decided to go mobile full time. Bought a new 30 ft Coachmen with one slide-out and took-off for Arizona with my daughter for the summer.

When I get bored of the view and neighbors, I change my view...sometimes for free and other times for a fee.....

I learned from the first night, after picking-up the RV, that parking under a big tree under a thousand black birds...with the slide out no less, and a truck hauling pigs, parked next to us....the smell was outrageous and my stupidity at a peak. Note: Park with the trucks and not in front of the truckstop restaurant under a tree and certainly not with the slide out ! (A no no at truckstops). The pig truck parked next to me anyway.

Did the generator thing for about 3 years before buying solar panels and since then....several modifications inside and outside and life is great !

People that live in tight neighborhoods are basically stuck...unless they can survive financially on the road. The choice between being a neighborhood prisoner and a free spirit, is a tough choice for most. Once you do it, you still have to give it at least a year to feel actually comfortable and knowledgeable about boondocking, National Parks versus State Parks, and how to behave in RV Parks.

RV Parks are an option and provide a chance to get really charged-up (electrically) while enjoying the A/C and microwave. If you get stuck a couple times in the hot summer desert, the RV Parks are the place to be. Low traffic and lots to watch.

The reality is...

If you decide to fulltime in an RV, you have many more options than being stuck in the same neighborhood for 40 years. The only big glitch to it all...is keep your eye on weather forecasts. Houses don't survive very well and all trailer RV's hit by a tornado or hurricane....are destroyed.

I've seen two lucky older folks walk away from their destroyed, in pieces RV...after getting hit by 70mph straight line winds in Arizona while others might take flight. Same in many homes that are wood frame and cheap siding.

Know the weather, go underground if you can...or pack-it-up and head away at a 90 degree angle if possible.

Bottom line....

Full time RVing is not easy and requires some vigilance...knowing various laws from state to state while knowing ahead of time where you plan to park. Once you get there and everything is fine, just think back to everything you had to deal with in your house. ;) 
AirDragon CB Ch19 or 30, Full Time Off-The-Grid as a necessary mindset. Retired/former airline freight DC-8 and B-727 Captain with law enforcement background (Federal/State) and a US Army Vietnam Veteran (S Korea). Two great female companions/children, Sophie and Shadow (The Catz) Powered by Solar

CLiNTon

• ---
« Reply #55 on: February 25, 2015, 05:27:28 PM »

That'll depend on you and your own situation & preferences, but work travelling is the game for me.
I got tired of loosing money because it was all going to some cheesy apartment I'd only be staying at for a few months travelling.

For me it's good living. I work and travel frequently and RVing is an economical way of doing so.
1. It's YOUR home on wheels, and you can come and go as you please, even move to another park if you don't like it.
2. Since it's your home there is no packing. You become adept (really fast) at choosing the junk you'll want to loose.
3. For working/traveling it can be a VERY decent tax advantage, just make sure you keep a permanent tax address.
4. People in RV parks, although friendly, laid back, and helpful, and tend to be of similar mindset.
I have yet to stay in an RV park where anything was stolen or where there is violence. They are usually very quiet places.
You also tend to get older people who are...friendly, laid back, and helpful, and tend to be of similar mindset.
5. Living in an RV while traveling for work is cheaper than apartments with a greater sense of independence.
6. You'll learn to become a handyman, and or learn where to find one quick. If you're in an RV park, it'll usually be the guy next door to you.

There's quite a learning curve for full timing it, but it can be fun if you choose it to be.
For myself I jumped in full time 2 years ago with no prior experience, so it definitely helps to know an experienced full timer.

2006 Dodge RAM 2500 Diesel
2013 Shadow Cruiser S225RBS from Cruiser RV

Hosted by Over The Network