Don't fulltime

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We had an exit plan and executed it when we bought a house two summers ago. We hadn't planned on leaving the lifestyle quite yet but as you say things change.
In our case it was partly health and partly the fact that mentally we were ready.
At first we planned to continue on as snowbirds but after one last winter in AZ we decided we were ready to sell the rig and settle down.

We have friends that did not have a real exit plan - mostly because they did not have the financial resources to make one. A year ago health forced them to move in with their daughter in a rented apartment in upstate NY and let their motor home be repossessed.
They loved the west, are glad they had 11 full timing years and are adjusting.

Neither one is happy with how they will spend the rest of their lives, especially after enjoying the freedom of the full timing lifestyle for those 11 years but it is a choice they made because they wanted to full time so much.

We don't full-time.  In fact, recently we've barely part-timed due to health issues.  But, things are looking up and we plan on running the wheels off our new ERA.  However, neither of us are suited for full-timing, we don't think.  We tried moving in with a kid recently and planned to sell our sticks & bricks.  The idea was to free us up so we could hit the road at the drop of a hat.  But, both of us found we missed our "stuff"...just couldn't bring ourselves to divorcing from our old lifestyle.  So, we moved back home, on the lake, and decided we'd just slowly trim down our "stuff" so the kids don't have such a mess to deal with later and, also, get the S&B well configured for months of "shutdown" time.  I figure we have maybe 3-4 more years of travel left in our worn out carcasses, but only if we can hit "home" and recoup periodically.

As others have said, most fulltimers see the country and enjoy the freedom of being able to go where you want to and when you want to go.  Very few go to one place and settle in there.  Many of us like to travel but not by airplane and hotel which we did while working.  We much prefer to take our home with us because we have our own food, bathroom, bed, room for hobbies, computers, etc.

We used to talk about fulltiming but decided we like to return to a permanent place.  We can go off for months to attend rallies and travel around sightseeing or visiting family, but it's always good to return home to our "stuff" which we're not willing to disperse.  Some people want to fulltime forever but sometimes life events intervene.  Physical disabilities frequently are the game changer.  Meanwhile we all enjoy being fulltimers, longtimers, or vacationers, whichever fits our own particular lifestyle.

ArdraF

Bill N said:
You know, there is something about this poster that seems to point to the need to have confrontation between those who reply.  I have followed several of his/her post topics and each and every one seems to set up and invite replies which eventually result in some bad feelings between posters.  Such other posts as on Walmart parking, Dogs in campgrounds and this one are what have led me to this conclusion.  I may be wrong - have been numerous times before in my life but I will just refrain from joining in on such posts that invite bashing.

I dislike confrontations; let alone seeing others
Having confrontations . Sorry to burst you bubble
Troll hunter.

The other full timing litmus test is that both of you enjoy it. We full timed for almost 6 years but Sue was ready for a nest after 4 years.

We found a good compromise in our search and ended up with our Arizona Room home in Surprise that is our base for six months a year and spending the other six months or so on the road avoiding AZ summer temperatures. With a few winter RVing excursions I don't go too far into RV relapse. ;D

justpassin said:
    I'm not trying to judge anyone just curious why
anyone would want to fulltime? Why set up in a park
and live there in a RV? Isn't that the same as a house,
just the walls are thinner?
    Someone help me to understand.

Because for most of us it is not living in one place.  We move around on a regular basis and have never considered staying on one place for more than a month.

I'm not living in an apartment. I don't have to be too worried about bothering others or others bothering me. No one on top of me (all though it feels like they are sometimes since the lots are so close).

Also when I move (which I've had to do about 15 times in my life having had that many apartments) everything is right where it was when I "get there".

And I can modify my "home" as I see fit (unlike an apartment). Don't have to deal with the additional costs of a home.

Also I like the feel of camping. It's fun.

There are certainly many downsides though.

Just got my utility bill.  A bit shy of $600.  But heck, that's for 2 months.  And, it includes both water and electric.  Also trash and sewer services.  Before we left, I paid a plumber $600 to replace a section of sewer line.  Before that, about $500 to replace a kitchen faucet and garbage disposal.  Normally a diy project, but this one took an experienced plumber more than 3 hours.  Our furnace and air conditioner have served us well but at 35 years of age need to be replaced.  Estimates are from $8 to $12,000.  Before we left I debated cutting the grass.  It's probably going to be half dead when we return from our current adventure.  Last time it only cost $1,500 to re-sod the back yard.  Oh the automatic sprinklers worked just fine.  But the watering restrictions place us between a rock and a hard spot.  So, re-sodding the back yard a year ago on top of re-sodding both the front and back yards 10 years ago and lots and lots and lots of water probably $25,000.  In fact, it's likely way north of $25,000.   

I also debated whether or not to do some repairs on a few of our 60 year old wooden windows.  10 years ago, I removed, sanded and repainted every one of them.  I really don't want to do that again.  Actually at 71, there's a lot of homeowner type things I don't want to do again.  If I lived full time in a motorhome, I'd save at least $15,000 a year in expense on a home that is mortgage free.  If we full times and rented the home, I'd have to determine what to do with that $15,000 plus the rental income on the home.  Still, it's great having a home.  If I was starting out, I'd do it all over again.  But after 3 homes and some decent profits, I'd like to see what's happening from a window that has a different view every now and then. 

Back in the 80/90s I had a friend who had what he called the Law of Requisite choices: You can live only so long as TOTAL choices is greater than FATAL choices.. Alas, he ran out of choices..  But the point is choice is good. Some folks choose Full time, Some part time, Some Hotel rooms when they travel.. To each his own preference and the sad thing is more states do not allow full time travel.  Michigan, for example (My home state) requires a Sticks and Bricks type address. No PO box.

Some of the facts that made up my decision:  I wanted to SEE THE USA.. You may remember (if you are old enough) The Chevy adds from, I think the 60's "See the U S A in your Cherovlet"  Well.  this rolling house is a Damon, and the chassis is a Workhorse.. but the ENGINE.. That's a chevy 8.1 L Vortec...  So you see, I'm simply following instructions. :)

I do not mind setting up and taking down and usually no longer than 2 weeks between park changes.

I have two memberships. these give me (Summer) 2 weeks in system and one out (Each park) winter I can only use one of them,  After initial purchase the memberships cost me 95/month... This includes parking for the Motor home, Water, Sewer, Electric and Wi-Fi..  I buy around 120 to 180 worth of propane annually (10-15/month)

Winters I spend an average of 140/month more for parking (So it's still only 135/month).

Phone: What I pay for my cell, with data plan for the odd times when the park does not provide, is about what I paid for the land line and data plan at home.

UTILITIES used to cost me around 250/month (Water/Sewer/Gas/Electric) some months (Very hot/cold) it coudl break 300.
(This is close to a month here at Cathead Creek, 370 on a 50 amp site)

Taxes on the house were over 3000 per year.. The motor home has a sticker price right close to the hosue.. Taxes are 382 per year.

A savings of roughly 3,000 I burn about 2,000 in gasoline moving it about (that is max) at this time.

So.. As you can see, I'm saving about a kilo-buck a year, and enjoyhing it more,, AND.. What's more.. When I bought my S&B it was a nice neigh borhood.. About 2 weeks before I put the key in the ignition and pulled out the gate for the last time PERIOD, the house next door, which was sold to a management company and was occupied by a bunch of pigs selling dope, got shot up rather well.. Then a couple weeks after I pulled out the gate it got firebombed.

I get into a neighborhood like that with the motor home.. I do not reach for the ignition switch (I mean it's already on) I just lower the right foot a bit and beat the blazes outta-there.    Way easier to move if the neighborhood goes to .... well  POT (in the Controlled substance sense of the word).

Side note: T-Shirt showed a photo of a chicken holding a green leaf in it's beak standing on top of a Greek Letter (Pi)  The Facebook post said "Do not like unless you get it within 5 secionds) I read it in the manner of a book (more like 1/5 second)
Can you figure it out.. no need to reply.  No giveaway either.

When I read the original post I pictured the folks in many of the RV parks in these parts that based on appearance have not relocated in several years..... Faded awnings with residential fridges under them and other junk that makes it seem like they've been there a while..... Different me thinks, than what most folks think of the full time roamers or snow birds.....

Being Canadian it is extremely difficult to "Full Time".  Accordingly, we have never done so, but for the 4 years following my retirement in 2008, we spent between 8 to 10 months in the RV.  We have visited all 10 Canadian Provinces, and 47 of the lower 48 US States.  We have had several trips that exceeded 8,000 miles.  We have moved on having bought a S&B house in FL for winter stays, and have retained our house in Nova Scotia. 
  The RV lifestyle cannot be replicated through any other means.  Yes, we have a community pool and rec center in Florida, but it is not the same.  The people that we have met over the years are not only supportive, but also great people.  Yes, we see the cream of the crop here in this Forum, but we have also met a great group of RVers from coast to coast.
    The bottom line, as stated above, the choice is yours.

Ed

See, Garyb1st has been quite gracious in explaining why housing costs can be overwhelming (even when you can to a lot of it yourself). Other than that, the most important aspect to really running is where to park. Things have changed somewhat over the past 12 years (for the better). Bottom line your rig will date you and you can end up stranded.

I've been fulltiming for over 10 years and what I say is fact. The ability to keep your rigs up to date will not affect you old ones yet, but it is in effect now to some extent for us younger, and if you're not very careful you will get the same treatment down the road. Capiche?

And the reason why I'm nice enough to give along some advice is???
I remember reading simliar postings when I was starting out... before I ever even bought my first RV.

So good luck people. It's a fun lifestyle but like anything it has its ups and downs.

For instance, I put out my 18ft canopy awning and drove away for 15 minutes to the store. When I came back it was torn 1/3 off and up on the roof of my RV. That's big trouble and it affects even the high price RV's.

And if I could afford a piece of property where I could park my rv and had a well, etc. Even if it had a house I would still live in my RV.  That's how cool it is.

We all have the exact same RV. It doesn't matter if you paid 300k for yours or I'm running on and older one. The appliances are all the same stuff. Get enough space that satisfies you and protect overhang problems (Research it). Rain/water just eats at anything wood over the years, like acid. So plan to replace or plan to protect. But don't procrastinate ever on protecting windows, etc from that rain after a certain number of years. Now you're clear. But the year will happen and your beautiful RV will warp like all hell. Mark my words.

blw2 said:
When I read the original post I pictured the folks in many of the RV parks in these parts that based on appearance have not relocated in several years..... Faded awnings with residential fridges under them and other junk that makes it seem like they've been there a while..... Different me thinks, than what most folks think of the full time roamers or snow birds.....

I agree with what you say blw2 but I'm not sure it makes that much difference. I'm not talking about stranded with a home type refrigerator outside as you did. But that is always a possibility. But not for careful older folks (who are likely asking). Assuming they are asking and not someone else, then I can say that they need to cover their tires (for instance) because they cost a hell of a lot of money and it's easy for them to sit for 5-8 years. It just is. I've seen it. Even then they'll likely want to replace them at a cost of $200+ each tire. It can be a lot of money so older folk who have the income via pensions etc should be ok but they will be calling vulture repair guys who will bilk them for hundreds for things that cost 10-20$ to fix. But like the one guy said in this thread (mod of some sort... sorry I'm new) it's still better than a house in some regards. Lots of info on the internet now too.

RogerE said:
Because for most of us it is not living in one place.  We move around on a regular basis and have never considered staying on one place for more than a month.
True Roger. I started out with that in principle. And the beauty is that 10 years later I am now thinking about driving her down somewhere else. The first trip was 2000 plus miles so she's no stranger to traveling. Mount Rushmore and the badlands and all.... Many here will know...

I think there is a portion of the society that is likely very under represented  from what I have seen on the forum. Those of us who have jobs that require us to be away from home.  now some might argue that we aren't fulltimers, and they could be right. But in my mind 250 days a year in an rv is pretty darn close. My reasons are both finacial and personal. I can toss my money to the local hotelier, eat in restaurants and save little or I can drag an rv around sleep in the same bed, save some money live a little better(opinions may vary) and have an asset at the end of it. As an added bonus I get a free hobby to boot

Back
Top Bottom