Establishing residency / DMV / Proof of address

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dante2004

Long story short we are moving to Texas while simultaneously going "fulltime" (at least for the near future).

Most places that I have looked into require "proof of residence".  DMV, loans, etc.  Any advice on doing this?  Initially we will be traveling for a few months so we will probably just keep our current address on our licenses although that probably isn't legit.

However, once we settle down, how do we prove residence when we don't have a lease?

*I'm assuming you don't have a lease at a campground/RV park even if you are renting monthly...maybe I'm wrong.

Why not establish a domicile in Texas now?  You have to have a domicile somewhere that will be used for things like vehicle registration, drivers licensing, insurance, voter registration, etc.  Since you're going to become Texas residents, it would be easiest to domicile there now.  The Escapees can be a big help in doing that and is an excellent support group for the full timer.  Use their mail service and you have a valid address to use for all purposes.

Awesome...didn't know about this service.  This looks like it will accomplish exactly what I am looking for.

Thanks!

Still curious about the RV park down the road though...for those who have settled down.  Anyone have any issues using their "site" as a permanent address?

Looks like Escapees will be the answer short term, but after that I might not need it.

dante2004 said:
Still curious about the RV park down the road though...for those who have settled down.  Anyone have any issues using their "site" as a permanent address?
I full timed for ten years and I had no issues using the site as an address.

Here is one of many articles in the forum library about full timing that might help you. I wrote it specifically for people planning on going full time. It addresses most of the major issues that pop up.

http://www.rvforum.net/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=435:fulltimeprep&catid=29&Itemid=132

I know people who've been full-timing for 10 years and more using Escapees and none have ever had a problem. My parents used my sister's address when they were full-timing. We used a cousin's address in Oregon when we full-timed back in the 80s.

Good stuff!  Thank you.

Lender told me Saturday to NOT use an escapee address for the loan...at least not during the application process.  After it is approved they said the bank probably wouldn't care.  They just want to know "where to find you"...which I understand.

Getting excited about the upcoming adventure!

We used our Escapee mail address for 2 different auto loans with no problems.  It's a PMB (private mail box) address and is perfectly legitimate.

I don't think it was a question of the legitimacy of it...after all, DMV will accept it.  But they know the address/streets for the escapee addresses and they therefore know that you are going to be full time / not your physical address.

Anyway...just something they guy told me...haven't tested it.

You said you were going full time, so why would you want to falsify your address?

Not trying to falsify anything, but I will still be in our home for a few weeks after we purchase before we hit to road.  So I would probably use that address during the loan application.  Then update everything once we are "homeless".

So use your current home address during the loan process and change it when you're ready to leave the stick and brick.  Escapees is a great organization for full-timers.

ArdraF

Sounds like the plan...just didn't know about Escapees before.  Sounds like a great setup.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom