Somerset - worst camper ever

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dadsgoodlife

I'm writing this as a public service to anyone considering buying a Somerset popup.  We bought a new 2013 Somerset E2 last June.  It has been a nightmare.  The very first time we took it out, the power lift for the roof failed.  It ended up spending six weeks at the dealer getting that, and the list of over 20 other things that were wrong with it, fixed.  The people who work in the Somerset plant should be ashamed of themselves.  There is no quality control at all.  From simple things like installing the legs for the awning upside-down, to major design flaws like a power lift that doesn't work, and a hand crank that is incapable of actually moving the roof, this camper is garbage.

We took it out twice this April, and on the second outing, the power lift failed again.  It has now been back at the Somerset factory for a week.  They are removing the power lift system and replacing it with a manual crank.

We have owned this camper for less than a year, and it has been out of service for over seven weeks of camping season.  I have asked them twice now to buy it back, but they refuse to do that.  I bought this camper because I had a 2004 Coleman/Fleetwood Mesa, and I loved it.  I thought that this would be a comparable camper.  Boy was I wrong!

If you are thinking of buying a Somerset, or you know someone who is considering them, don't do it!  Buy absolutely anything else.

Not to defend any company but in the RV world your experience seems about middle of the road to normal. Many people thatbuy a  new coach (even High end ones) Plan their first trip back to the factory for repairs. It's the nature of the beast unfortunately.

Back
Top Bottom