Weighed my rig today. Now what?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BigSkyTrailerGuy

97 Chevy Tahoe - Everything was loaded, heading out on an overnighter.  Two people, 2x 130lb motor scooters in back, full tank, dog, fishing pole - not much more.

1. Tow vehicle Front and rear axles with 275lb trailer tongue on hitch ==6720 lb.
2. Trailer axle ==  2740 lb.    (9460 Gross Weight)

I'm not really sure how to process these numbers now.  Is there a ratings plate on the Tahoe somewhere that shows the GVWR and all those ratings?  Couldn't find one.  Googled for the specs but couldn't find answers.

BigSkyTrailerGuy said:
Is there a ratings plate on the vehicle somewhere that shows the GVWR and all those ratings?  Couldn't find one.  Googled for the specs but couldn't find answers.
Have had 3 MH's, 1 5th Wheel, and one Travel Trailer in my 14 full timing years. There "was" a plate attached to the front of the 5thW - while all the rest had the weights and such posted inside one of the cabinet or closet doors.

The 1999 Trailer Life tow rating tables gives a tow rating of 7000 lbs for the Tahoe with either the 5.7L V8 gasser or the 6.5L TD 4WD both with a 3.73:1 rear end.  The 5.7 needs heavy duty cooling.  1999 is as far back as my collecting of TL tables go.  I would treat the 7000 lb rating with a bit of caution, especially with the gasoline engine, 1997 is getting a bit long in the tooth.

Normally, we would compare that tow rating to the GVWR of the trailer, or to the actually-scaled weight of a fully loaded trailer with all gear and water on board.  You get that scaled weight with the trailer axles on the scale and the trailer coupler, raised off the ball and the jack pad, resting on the scale.  The scale thus bears the entire weight of the trailer.  No part of the trucks wheels should be on the scale for this weighing.    We have a complete weighing procedure in our Library.  Give it a read.

If your scaled trailer weight is well below 7000 lbs and you are running the diesel you should be ok.  If you are running the gasoline engine, I would keep that scaled trailer-weight below 5600 lbs.  That especially, if you are towing in the 11 western states.

Gary RV Roamer said:
There should be a sticker showing the front and rear axle GAWRs and the GVWR. Maybe in the glove box but more likely on the driver door piller.

Or the driver's side door itself, Both are common.

There may also be a piece of paper stuck up in the springs under the front seat.. Not sure what they put on that.

It would also be good to have each individual axle of the Tahoe weighed as it is set up for towing but without the trailer, to be sure that you are within the weight capacity of both the axles and tires.

Take a peek at my signature link and my specs are there for my vehicle and you'll see you didn't quite weight it out right.

Tow Vehicle - Front Axle and Rear Axle Weight then a Gross Vehicle Weight
Trailer - Axle weight.
Then there should be a Gross Combine Weight of all the above.

So now you compare all your axle weight to the GAWR on each vehicle. Then check to see if your over your Gross combine rating as well.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom